Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey just won't walk and is standing still and I try to pull and then maybe she walks two steps and then again she stands still or laying down. I tried with changing directions of the walk but that doesn't help much she just won't walk The only times she walks is when we are heading back to the house. So I have a hard time to get in the exercise. We have a backyard but there she goes out and starts digging in the dirt so I don't go that many times out there with her. Besides the fact it's also more difficult to watch my 3 year old son on his bike outside and her running around or even jumping on him.
I also tried to give treats to make her walk but that doesn't really help either.
Unfortunately I can't really go to classes with her, because she first had the internal parasites and now she got the kennel cough (although she's doing already much better). I only had one week (last week) where I could socialize her with other dogs so far and we attended one puppy class. We will resume classes in a week after she's done with her antibiotics.
Anybody have suggestions how to get her to walk?

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
The digging bit, put some poop in the holes and cover them over. She will not did here again.

The walking bit, no clue. Did not have that issue with Max but then again, Willow was around the show him the ropes. Do you know a neighbor with a dog that Bailey plays with? Perhaps you can suggest that the four of you go for a walk. She may follow the other dog even if she doesn't follow you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could ask for one neighbor but the thing is that I only had one week available where I could bring her together with other dogs, all the other time she had this contagious stuff.
So in a week I can try asking her to see if we can go for a walk together. I hope she will do it... given that Bailey was all the time contagious. I pray that this will be over soon.
I will try to burry her poop there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We are having the same trouble with our pup. I wish it was just a matter of him pulling on the leash but he does what Baily does where he just doesn't want to go and sits down. One thing we have found that seems to help is taking him for a walk while my 15 month old son is in his stroller. I don't know if it's the wheels (him wanting to chase them) or what but so far that is only way we can get him to go for a walk. It may be worth a try!

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
Maybe you could have your son help you. If she likes chasing him and jumping on him, have your son ride a little ahead of you and see if she will chase him. If she catches him, it is important that your make her sit calmly and them let him give her a treat. I am only suggesting this to begin the movement. I think that if you do this too much she could start chasing bikes. Another suggestion, use a longer lead, just to start her walking. Maybe 10 feet. You walk ahead of her with the lead and then just bend down and call her to you. When she comes reward her. I think that she is protesting the leash and not so much the walk. You might also want to attach the leash for a while when she is in the house just so that she gets used to it. Every dog is different. You know what your dog likes and dislikes. Use that to motivate her. If a treat isn't working, use something with a stronger odor that she really likes. Sometimes I dry chicken pieces in the oven to make chicken jerky. Mine love that but we only use it for special training. Don't give up and please post back and let us know what works.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When Brady was a puppy, he did not want to walk any further than the neighbors house. It wasn't until he was about 4 - 5 months that he would want to do any real walking. Most of his walking was just around the yard, and unless we were training, I went in the direction he wanted.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try the stroller walk as soon as it gets cooler here. In the morning I am usually just with her, everybody else is sleeping. Then when I have time again it's too hot to go outside for a stroll and sometimes it's a real challenge to get my 3 year old in the stroller. He wants to push the stroller instead of sitting in it, which is of course not really ideal as he doesn't even see where he goes (stroller to high for him). I hope that the upcoming classes will help, they also have some gathering with other dog owners there...although I am little freaking out because I don't want her to get again some disease.... but that's the only way to socialize her with other dogs.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Have you tried really yummy treats like cut up cheese, steak or chicken??? Bailey seems to respond better when I train her with high value treats. I'd give her some time and maybe use the leash inside the home. For the first few days I had a light leash tied onto Bailey until she got use to it.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
In puppy class they have us hold the treat right up to their nose. It will mean you have to bend over and walk but it really seems to work. Riley went through a 12 step rally course that way last week without stopping. I also do it on walks around the neighborhood. I start by saying, "Let's walk!" and start walking. When she walks I praise her very enthusiastically and give her a treat. I also tell her, "Good walking!" when she walks without pulling and treat her at the same time. She is very food oriented. If your pup is not interested in the treats you are giving her you can try cooking some liver and using it. That's what the trainer used.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually tried out the stroller approach late this afternoon and it worked. She walked fine was even pulling from time to time. So I guess I will have to do the walks with my son in the future before I can do the walks with her alone.

I can't really leave the leash on as my boy would grab it all the time, so I just use the leash before we go for walks or whenever she goes potty outside.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same problem. I kept the leash on him when he was in the house and in the yard just so he could get used to the feel of it. Little by little, I increased the length of our walks. When he began to resist, I took him home and didn't force it. One day, it was like it all clicked for him and he never put the brakes on again. Now he actually looks forward to our walks...we do a mile twice a day. Hang in there and just be patient but persistent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts