Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since I entered "adulthood" I always said my dream was to own two golden retrievers. My husband has ALWAYS said one dog is enough - "we've got a good set-up with Maple" "I get to pick the next breed" blah blah! He has on numerous occasions nearly brought home boxer after boxer - but thankfully a few weeks ago he met a devil-boxer and has now decided that a boxer is not right for our lifestyle.
Anyways... I have fallen in love with a 5 week old golden retriever puppy - I am actually going on Tuesday to visit with the litter. I know I know... now i'll for sure be getting one! But the thing is... I've always respected my husband and his decisions, and I CANNOT do something big & life-changing obviously without his support. It all started off with convincing him to let me get cat #1, then cat #2, then dog#1... the poor guy obviously didn't know what he was marrying into!
Our Maple is 7 months old now - smart, loyal, calm, trustworthy... her crate's been retired for a month now. I have no worries that I would have difficulty coping with 2 dogs - We all love to walk and exercise. The first year would be a bit pricey - but not unreasonable.
So let me hear your yay's and nay's about owning a 2nd golden retriever...and if anyone has any super effective ways of convincing my ever so stubborn hubby that 2 is better than one, i'd love to hear it! I did write him an email this morning saying hey look what Maple and I want for Christmas! Kill one bird with two stones and just get us the same gift!
And when he came home from work I asked him so just how mad would you be on a scale of 1-10 if I brought home another puppy? He responded 7 1/2... I said oh that's not too bad - he said yeah well 8 is a divorce! so I asked what 10 was... and he said murder! HAHA!
Looking forward to your responses...
Kindell & Maple (and Brunson? the future puppy?)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think he has been very reasonable.... I don't think it is the breed, but the fact you have picked two cats and a dog and now maybe he wants HIS dog..

·
Registered
686 Posts
You know Kindell, marriage is suppose to be a 50-50 deal. As much as I know two goldens are better than one, you have managed to pretty much have had your way on this pet issue. My advice, as a guy, is DON'T bring a puppy home until you have managed to get a buy-in from hubby. One of the worse things a (relationship) partner can do to the other is to ignor the other's feelings/wishes and go ahead and do what he/she wants to do. It's called nails in the coffin of divorce. I hope you do get this puppy, but I do hope it is with your husband's go-ahead. Can you take him with you to view the litter? What dog lover can resist a puppy face? There is a thread on the forum about two goldens being better than one. Pull that up and have him read it. Most women are pretty darned good at making a man thinking that things are "his idea" - work on him girl! However, I do think one of your best bets is to get him to go see the pups. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
You know Kindell, marriage is suppose to be a 50-50 deal. As much as I know two goldens are better than one, you have managed to pretty much have had your way on this pet issue. My advice, as a guy, is DON'T bring a puppy home until you have managed to get a buy-in from hubby. One of the worse things a (relationship) partner can do to the other is to ignor the other's feelings/wishes and go ahead and do what he/she want. It's called nails in the coffin of divorce. And I speak from experience on this very issue!

I agree with you on this matter. We have seen too many "adopt me" posts due to family issues. People not agreeing on doggie issues etc. If you both aren't on board with the 2 dog theory, then it's best to wait and not jump the gun on this. It can backfire too easily. 2 dogs are great BUT 2 puppies is another story. I'm speaking from experience. My girl had pups a few years ago. I had 7 puppies and the first one didn't leave the litter until 12 weeks of age and i had 2 at the age of 6 mos. I chose this because of finding good and happy homes for all the dogs. But it was HARD. It wouldn't have worked it my husband wouldn't have helped or WANTED to help. Makes all the difference in the world. Just my honest opinion.:) Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I think I would ask your husband to go along with you "just to look at" the litter. Once he sees the adorable puppies-I doubt there would be much resistance from him. If he still doesn't want one, then I would respect his wishes this time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
What kind of dog does he want? I think boxer's are great dogs, they are so fun. The only reason I wouldn't want one is because of the health issues. I'm with greg - I think it's only fair to let him pick the next baby. I don't know what the general opinion is on this, but my breeder told me to wait at least a year before getting another puppy to increase the chance of Marley and a second dog bonding to me & my son instead of each other exclusively.

·
Eddie & Maple's mom
209 Posts
Hi Kindell! Funny you posted this because I'm going through something similar with my husband. We have Eddie (and it's almost scary how much him and Maple look alike!) but I desperately want another not only for Eddie (he loves other dogs) but also to take some of the weight off me to exercise, entertain, tire out, etc. I had a cat when we met, then my husband found a cat he adopted, and we agreed on Eddie together (it was a wedding gift and I'd wanted a Golden for 28 years where Doug grew up with Goldens). I keep bringing up a second dog and have been in touch with our breeder but I'm getting the no as well. Our house is under construction though and we still haven't gotten Eddie to get along with the cats so we're a bit behind you in those departments. Is there any potential for you to foster a young adult or puppy for a couple of months and see how it goes? The other option might be to go with your husband to visit the litter and talk with the breeder, see if he or she can shed any light on why two are better than one, etc. Good luck! I feel your pain :eek:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have asked him a couple of times to come with me to see the pups next week... and he keeps saying no - probably because he does know what would happen. He's already seen a photo and he won't deny that he's an absolutely adorable little boy... but I do have to respect what he wants. I know that one day in the future, whether it's in 1 month, or 4 years, I will get my 2nd golden retriever. All I can do is keep updating the computer desktop with new adorable pictures of him... occasionally send one to my husband's email... talk about how sweet he is... and maybe i'll find him under my Christmas tree in December.
We have met a few bad boxers this past month - and that has what recently changed our mind from boxers. They've been aggressive, hyper-hyper active, and disobedient (I know not ALL boxers are like this... but it's enough to change our mind). My husband hasn't mentioned any other breeds he's interested in... I'll just cross my fingers that he discovers that golden's are his kindred spirits too.
This is the little boy my heart pitter-patter's for... He is just over 4 weeks in the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
Oh, he is really cute. I agree it is important to get a buy in from your husband. Two dogs are not that much harder than one but I have always had my second dog when the first was more than a year so I don't know about 2 puppies. The key is to get him to go with you and look into that precious face. Maybe he should be the one to name the second puppy. My husband did that and it helped him to feel involved.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
You might want to lay off the pressure a bit :) You made your case, your husband knows how you feel... so trying to "wear him down" until he gives in is only going to make him resentful, at least on some level. This isn't about you getting a new handbag, or a visit to a spa, it's about something that represents a lifestyle change, and a commitment, for/from both of you.

Also, consider whether or not this will be setting up a precedent for you always getting your way, and ignoring his feelings... will you do the same thing over having babies, buying a new house, etc? Try to work as a team--it's better for your marriage :)

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Has the husband not yet figured out the rule of women? No one is happy unless Mom is happy? I mean even if he is right--he can't win.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
two are not always better than one unless you are careful... you run the risk of the two dogs actually bonding with each other stronger than they bond with you.... and you keep saying when YOU get YOUR second golden retriever... from a male perspective, I would resent that a little... well, maybe a lot..
so maybe he needs to pick the litter and the pup..

·
Registered
859 Posts
My experience has been if I want a new puppy I buy it. I am the main caretaker so the new puppy is my responsibilty. Vrocco1 will know when it shows up in the house. He has been absolutely fine with that arrangement. Yes, ladies he is a GReat husband!!! Also, I have never stopped him from getting anything he wants...well except a pig...I draw the line there!

Out relationaship is just fine also....for those who wondered :)

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
My experience has been if I want a new puppy I buy it. I am the main caretaker so the new puppy is my responsibilty. Vrocco1 will know when it shows up in the house. He has been absolutely fine with that arrangement. )
I think the key is "he has been absolutely fine with that arrangement." Hence, no conflict, since he agrees to it :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
My experience has been if I want a new puppy I buy it. I am the main caretaker so the new puppy is my responsibilty. Vrocco1 will know when it shows up in the house. He has been absolutely fine with that arrangement. Yes, ladies he is a GReat husband!!! Also, I have never stopped him from getting anything he wants...well except a pig...I draw the line there!
Out relationaship is just fine also....for those who wondered :)
So no Dr. Phil is order here LOL That's great. I wouldn't do the pig thing either ewwwww

:)

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
IM the same way as DelmarvaGold....... Im the main care giver, so its not like I expect him to do anything...... My story is a little different , since my husband is always out of town for work..... HE never knows who or how many will be here when he gets home , since I foster as well... Plus hes a big sap for dogs..... he cant say no....:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Point taken... I've given him numerous "hints" well, flat-out blattant hints... we'll see if he shows any further interest. He doesn't want to come next week to see the litter, which is fine. I was planning to go anyways, as my breeder is dying to see Maple (she's grown alot since 8 weeks! hah).

Greg - when i refer to "me" it's that simple... Maple was my idea - I researched the breeder, I chose the sex, the name... She is MY dog and I don't think we would ever have her if I had not made the iniative. Josh never really grew up with pets - I've always had 2 cats and 2 dogs when I lived at home. That being said, Josh loves his animals. Same as Delmarva... I am the primary caretaker - I don't force him to clean the litter boxes or clean the backyard - we are a team and we work together, but I've always known, and he's always known, who the animal lover is in this family. A 2nd cat is not that big of a deal... but a dog is. They're alot more work... and golden's are high energy and need alot of exercise and training. I'm fortunate that he has fallen so in love with Maple and we do split everything right down the center for her... but I wouldn't want to make a fast decision and not have his support... because that just wouldn't be fair to him. Although I do think it's my turn since he brought home that $500 xbox last week!HAHA :p: ANYWAYS... when the time is right, it will happen. With my luck I'll end up pregnant... and he'll be wishing he just went for the dog! LOL

1 - 20 of 51 Posts