Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a golden retriever puppie from the States.
But, how do I know which breeder is the best?
I checked all breeder links on this website, and I was reading the ads in the dog magazines...
I just don't know how to choose the best breeder available.
I have a hard time to build my personal opinion about the breeder and their responsiblity for the welfare of their dogs, just from seeing an add in the magazine or website.
Can someone help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
maya said:
I would like to get a golden retriever puppie from the States.
But, how do I know which breeder is the best?
I checked all breeder links on this website, and I was reading the ads in the dog magazines...
I just don't know how to choose the best breeder available.
I have a hard time to build my personal opinion about the breeder and their responsiblity for the welfare of their dogs, just from seeing an add in the magazine or website.
Can someone help?
Maya,
I would suggest reading every word of a breeder's website. You can get a sense of what a person really does with their dogs by the pictures on the site. You want a breeder you can trust. Is the breeder judgemental or helpful??
I would not purchase without talking with the person on the phone and asking LOTS of questions. If they do not have time to help you in your search (even if you do not intend to get a puppy from them) then they would not remain on my list. Find someone who is committed to Goldens and loves what they do!!
Tricia

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Maya,

I completely agree with Tricia. You can get a list of breeders from the web.
Just find the one which provides the most information and call them.

Some breeders can be found in our list, which you apparently checked already: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/links/browselinks.php?c=6
But I will be adding more and more breeders to this list, so check it out from time to time.
I hope that some breeders I don't know about will submit their links to our link echange system.

For now, also check this website:
http://www.qualitydogs.com/Golden_Retriever/breeders.html

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the only answer is ask, ask, ask......As I am learning from this site it seems as though golden owners are an amazing group of people. Not trying to stereotype however golden owners love to chat, help and inform more so then any other breed owner. This site proves this fact, a new site with new members and already we are seeing people attempting to assist and welcome people into the forum. A quick question to golden owners whether on the site or in the street as to where they got the dog and the breeders name (use the internet from there) could be better then any picture/conversation with essentially someone trying to sell you the dog. A referral is always the strongest solution.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with everything above, with exception that it really matters on what you plan to do with the dog.

Show? Obedience? Agility? Hunting/field work? Family pet?
Combination of the above?

That needs to be a choosing factor when looking for your GR breeder.

Also, be sure to buy only from breeders who can show you that parents are free of hip/elbow dysplasia, that puppy was vaccinated and had an exam from within the month showing that it's free of genetic eye disease.

No matter what you choose to do with the dog, it is most important that it be healthy.

If a breeder doesn't provide this information, please be careful.

Ina

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone,

I have to run, so this will have to be short.
I just wanted to say "Thank you all".
You are as always very helpful.

maya

·
Registered
414 Posts
You will know a good breeder when you find one. Because a good breeder will ask you a ton of questions. They won't place their pups into just any home. They should be asking you questions about you and your family and where you live. They will have all clearances for their dogs, and may have to go on a waiting list. A lot of breeders won't breed unless they have the pups sold before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel like I didn't do my homework before we bought our puppy. I went on the internet and found that alot of the new liters were already spoken for and we were in kinda a rush to have a new puppy. I put out some feelers and got a few responds. One person wrote back to me and said she had the girl for me. She had two puppies from her liter left. One female and one male. They were three months old. She said that her dogs were OFA and SAS certified yet when I got the papers to register the puppy I saw that only the male was certified and the female only had a perliminary certification. All of her dogs seemed well cared for and had great dispositions. Our puppy seems very healthy and has a great disposition. We took her to the vet and she got a clean bill of health even though they didn't check her hips or ears or eyes. They did listen to her heart and they said it sounded fine. After reading alot of the posts I sure hope we made the right decision. We love her already so either way she's here to stay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts