Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some discussions about spay/neuter contracts for goldens that either have health concerns or may not conform to the standard (i.e., removing the dog from the gene pool).

But...

Given that most breeders seem to lean towards late spay/neuter, if at all, how are these contract conditions enforced?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Usually monetary penalties in the contract. Another tactic is to withhold registration papers untill it is completed.
One thing I think people fail to consider is the breeder world is very small. If a person breaks their contact, they will find the breeder network knows. That next puppy they want a few years down to road, yeah it’s not coming from a reputable breeder. Seriously I had an inquiry from a lady and my mentor told me about her breaking her contract 30+ years ago. So, no puppy for her.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Another question along those lines. I am getting Maggie spayed next month. Do breeders want to know once I have done this? I don't see in the contract where it says to let them know. Just wondering if that is usually done?
Thanks.

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
I would imagine part of it is an honour system? I know if I signed a contract with my breeder, I would not break it. It's giving your word. If there were a situation where it was necessary to spay earlier than agreed to, I would contact and speak to them about the issue.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I once bought a dog that came with a spay voucher for $50 that my vet could send them when the spay occurred. It didn't completely cover the operation, but it was a strong incentive to get it done.

·
Kate
21,053 Posts
My Jacks was the only golden that I purchased with a s/n contract (he also was the only one purchased with limited registration). At the time I was signing the contract, I looked up and told the breeder that I probably would not be neutering him - however, I could promise that I would never breed him. They had the example of our other dog (11 year old) who had full registration, but was never bred. Breeder was absolutely fine with that. Basically how they explained it was that the contract was only an issue if down the road something happened and I wanted them to honor their guarantee (1/2 money back). If he was not neutered, broken contract = null guarantee.

Same thing with my sister's rough collie. Limited registration, and s/n contract... but she told us that she preferred that people keep the dogs intact if they could manage it. Only thing was not breeding. Collies are a little more "hormonal" than goldens - so my sister was prepared to neuter him if needed. Currently speaking, marking is a huge problem. But benefits outweigh the negatives. He has an easy care coat that does not mat as bad as a spay coat. Spay coat on a collie is a complete nightmare.

Leaving dogs intact is not the same thing as contributing to the gene pool. If you have a track record of breeding whatever dogs you own, including breeding dogs who were purchased with limited registration.... good luck buying from a good breeder again.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Mine didn't have spay/neuter contracts. I decided on my own to spay Winx. Not 100% sure I would do it if I had the chance to start over. Pilot won't be neutered unless it's medically necessary. The vets tend to really push it. I had one want to neuter him because he had a hot spot!

·
Super Moderator
1,213 Posts
Another question along those lines. I am getting Maggie spayed next month. Do breeders want to know once I have done this? I don't see in the contract where it says to let them know. Just wondering if that is usually done?
Thanks.
I contacted my breeders to let them know the surgery was scheduled and then had the vet's office mail them a certificate of spay/neuter. I wanted the breeders to know that I had complied with the contracts and that they didn't have to worry about those pet Goldens ever siring or whelping a litter. (Plus as @LJack mentioned, the breeder world is small. This way the breeders involved would know I was following their request which would hopefully leave them with a good impression of me - which could come in handy one day.)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I normally ask if I can have an exception on the spay/neuter part of a contract up front. I explain that I only own males and that for health reasons I prefer to leave them intact. I also have never had a litter accidentally or otherwise. I've owned many dogs with full registration and would be happy to provide any information they requested to back that up. I like to do it up front prior to deposits or contracts. I normally put it on the puppy buyer questionnaire and let them ask me about it. If I ever owned a female I would agree to the spay/neuter due to the fact that I own males but only after she had reached full maturity. I would accept the responsibility for making sure nothing happened during the interim heat cycles.

I am also a person that believes if I sign a contract stating I will spay/neuter then I should comply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts