Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've always been curious how people pick the name of their dogs, especially since I'm in the process of getting my very first one in February (AHHH)!

Our puppy is about four days old, so we don't know which one is ours, but we do know that he'll be named Draco! It's probably obvious, but we picked the name from the Harry Potter series since I'm a huuuuge (re: huge) fan, and I thought the name would be perfect since he's an English cream.

What about everyone else and the names you all picked? :)

·
Kate
21,288 Posts
Bertie = Parents had gone to see a high school production of Bye Bye Birdie and came back with all the songs stuck in their head. They wanted me to name him Birdie. And the compromise was Bertie.

Jovi = I was listening to a lot of 80's music at my work (on Youtube with 1 ear plugged in). Had Living on a Prayer stuck in my head so often at the time. >.< So yes, he was named Jovi or Jovial. Which was ideal because bringing him home brought me joy even through some dark times.

Glee = Came about partly because he was Jovi's full brother and following the same theme that both these babies were bringing joy into my life before and after a very tough emotional period (I lost my heart dog a year ago). I remember taking him out to the breeder's living room and playing with him there and just had it echo in my head that his name was Glee.

·
Super Moderator
1,324 Posts
Since I have to name, on average, 8 puppies a year by submitting a list of 25 names, I keep an alphabetized notebook of names that I like. If I have another M litter, I'm definitely submitting Manolo or if I get a B litter, I'm submitting Blahnik.

·
Super Moderator
2,926 Posts
Two came already named. We named our first pup Cirrus. I went through the dictionary and stopped at the name of a cloud. It was a good fit for him.

Reactions: Emmdenn

·
Super Moderator
970 Posts
Denver = Road tripped from Upstate New York to Denver, Colorado with my partner several years ago. We spent 5 days in Denver when we got there and fell in love with the city. We talked back then about how "Denver" would be a cool dog name. When we finally decided to get a puppy, it wasn't even a question, we already knew his name was Denver. I think we will try to stay with the location/city name theme for our next puppy too :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sasha - GSD, Came with the name when we adopted her at age 5.

Storm - My son was obsessed with storm chasers when we were naming her. Ironically, Sasha was terrified of storms in general, but loved Storm for the rest of the time she, Sasha, lived.

Rey - Star Wars obsession, again courtesy of my son.

Maybe I’ll actually get to name the next one. Ha!

·
Registered
83 Posts
My pups’ names come from movies I like—Fletch, Tango (Tango & Cash), Brody (Chief Brody from Jaws), Cooper (dog from What Lies Beneath). ?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Paul Newman was my favorite actor. Cool Hand Luke is my favorite movie. Cool Hand "Luke" it was. Luke means bringer of light. It suited him.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Barkley: our boy was selected for us, and we'd seen photos of the litter from birth to right before pickup, and knew that the breeder had a sports-theme selected for the litter (if the owners wanted to participate). We had a list of names, but they all got tossed out the window once we got home. My husband (who was joking!) said our boy had a big butt like Charles Barkley, so we named him Barkley :)

However, to this DAY, I think we should have named him Timber (our boy is from Canada). When he wants attention, he'll come sit next to you, and as you lean down to pet him, he'll fall over to his side in slow motion, then lifts up his back legs so you can scratch his inside back leg. Every time! It's hilarious. Oh boy, we love this pup :love:

Draco seems like a great name, but be open to choosing a different one when you do get to meet him and bring him home - you never know!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I’m not announcing my new puppies name until his official introduction. But I chose his name based on what sounded good with his middle name. His middle name is Skip to honor my first dog that died last year. He has a good first name and it makes a good nick name as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had been without a dog since I lost my last 2 chocolate labs about 10 yrs ago. They were father and son, and the mother and sister was our neighbors dogs. My husband and I wanted to wait until we could buy a bigger house with a nice yard. I had been writing down names that I’ve thought were unique or cute for the last 10 years. Ever time I’d hear a name I liked I’d put it in my phone notes, Like CCG, from movies, etc. Brody was on my list as well! Ironically, a lot of the names were female as I swore I’d get a girl and not another male! after reading how males are typically more loving and goofy. Shocking my husband, I told him I wanted a male. We choose the name Aidan because it’s an Irish name that means “little fiery one”. I had read the name online looking at Irish names, looked up its meaning, and had it on the list. We moved last November and got our pup in June this year. We were so happy! My hubby and I narrowed it down to a few and decided on Aidan. I still write down cool names whenever I hear them, so Im definitely prepared for future pups, ha!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
We chose ‘Allie’ because it meant noble. Our son also pointed out her name was a portmanteau (blending of words combined to make a new word) of my husband and my middle names. Allen and Lea. So, ‘Allie’ it is!

·
Read Only
127 Posts
It was an exceptionally 'Sunny' day when I picked him out and then when I went back and picked him up. It suits him perfectly as he makes even the darkest days seem full of light.

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
Our boy Seamus is named after my husband's father. His name was James and he was Irish.
Our boy Sonny was already named Wilson when we rescued him. We didn't like the name so we shortened it to Sonny.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Duster was from a litter of only two pups, both males. The sire of the litter was named after a car, and the dam's name was aviation-based. The other puppy owner chose "Piper", an aviation name, so I decided I would choose a "car" name for my pup. I asked my husband what his favourite car had been, and he replied: my 1972 Plymouth Duster. So Duster it was.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Hi all! I've always been curious how people pick the name of their dogs, especially since I'm in the process of getting my very first one in February (AHHH)!

Our puppy is about four days old, so we don't know which one is ours, but we do know that he'll be named Draco! It's probably obvious, but we picked the name from the Harry Potter series since I'm a huuuuge (re: huge) fan, and I thought the name would be perfect since he's an English cream.

What about everyone else and the names you all picked? :)
Noah - his name represented a new beginning after we lost our 15 year old golden mix. Her name was Diamond, and Noah came from a BYB, so we used her name in his registered name and his registerered name is Diamond's I Noah Thing or Two.

Moses - Karl wanted to keep with the Biblical name theme, so we named him Moses. His registered name is Prism's Instant Rule Maker.

Moses in the front, Noah in the back.

Congratulations on your new puppy!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts