Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Catalina: Maya's mom!
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. the question explains itself.
Maybe you just liked the sound of it, maybe you had to brainstorm, maybe you had to decide between two names you really liked. maybe there's a long story...
So... how was it?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I've told this before but Selka is a prototype shotgun by Ljutic. My DH shoots a Ljutic shotgun for trap. We saw it advertised in one of his gun magazines and really liked the name. Of course we thought he might be a hunting dog but even though he's a great retriever , he likes staying home with Mom better.

And Gunner's name is self explanatory. The funny part is he's gun shy. So now my DH has pretty much stopped hunting and now just shoots trap and clay targets! So alot of birds can thank my dogs for their lives!

·
& Murphy's Mom too!
869 Posts
DH wanted something that meant something to us but we couldnt' think of much so then he said he wanted something patriotic but that we wouldn't be embarassed screaming outside for her to come in. We chose "Liberty" and call her "Libby" for short.

·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh! I didn't see that thread, or else I wouldn't have posted this one!
I'll read it right away.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Oh! I didn't see that thread, or else I wouldn't have posted this one!
I'll read it right away.

I didnt want you to miss it because there are some great stories and everyone might not see your thread and wanted you to read them.

·
"GO TARHEELS!!!"
772 Posts
Our next Golden will be Karleigh (pronounced Carly - but spelled different 'cause she will be unique!).

Why? - because I was reading "Marly and Me" and we wanted something that sounded similar - not because we think that she will be a "Marly" in attitude and temperment, but just because we kinda liked the name. We already have Mandy, so we were looking for a name that didn't start with an 'M', but had that lilt/ring to it. We definitely want a name ending in a "ly" or "dy" sound.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I'm sure i answered this under the other post, briefly Ginny,because as hubby said she would be spayed and therefore remain a virgin, Ralph had the name and it just suited him so we kept it, Holly - we saw her at 3 days old, 2 days before we were going on holiday, Kelly - we hit the baby book names for her and Quinn the last edition because he was the fifth goldie that we had.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Golden's name is Tyson. I'm regreting it now, because I think of Tyson (the chicken company). LOL

He was actually named after a hockey player named Tyson Nash. He was one of my favorite players when he played for the Blues.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I like the new thread because I can explain it again without double posting!!!:)
My daughter named Sam "Master Samson of Kent". He was supposed to be a girl, Sammie, none available and I liked Samson better than Samuel. He was born on Kent Island.

Ike, my daughter also named. He's Ike after Isaac Hanson of the band Hanson...yes, the OOM BOP guys, and she's an adult!! So he is :
Liberty Run's Sir Isaac Samson of Wachter- Liberty Run is the kennel name, Isaac is Ike, Samson is Ike's father (not my Samson-coincidence) and Wachter is his mother- Gingerbread Wachter...He almost got the whole kitchen sink!!! :)

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Our next Golden will be Karleigh (pronounced Carly - but spelled different 'cause she will be unique!).

Why? - because I was reading "Marly and Me" and we wanted something that sounded similar - not because we think that she will be a "Marly" in attitude and temperment, but just because we kinda liked the name. We already have Mandy, so we were looking for a name that didn't start with an 'M', but had that lilt/ring to it. We definitely want a name ending in a "ly" or "dy" sound.
That's a cute name and I hope you get to use it. I had names all picked out for my kids and by the time they were born, had changed my mind. Sometimes you have to see their faces, human or canine, to feel a fit. :)
Jake was gonna be Jasin....Noelle was going to be Jaimee or Christiane...

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Jasmine was named that because I wanted a name that sounded pretty when it was the full name, but that could be shortened to something that sounded sporty. So she is also Jazz or Jazzy for short.

I love the name Jasper. Someone I knew had a blonde haired boy named Jasper and I decided that the name fit my boy. His name was Zodo when he was in the program as a foster.

Danny was Daniel. The dog coordinator came up with it because she needed something quick and it was her son's name. He was Mufasa when he was turned into the shelter. I liked the name Daniel aka Danny aka Dan Dan. It fits him perfectly!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
This is in the old thread...but I have the opportunity to share again......

We gave our daughter the task of naming the new puppy and she decided on Pip Squeak. So we started throwing out other names...any names... in desperation and she latched on to Lucky.

·
Gone to the Goldens ;)
1,150 Posts
Aubrie came with her name when we got her. We "semi-adopted" her from a friend who couldn't keep her anymore due to family and moving circumstances.

Layla got her call name from the Eric Clapton song "Layla". Her registered name is Emilys Mme Layla Could Be Blue.

She is my first dog so I wanted my name in the registered name. Her litter theme was "Veggie Tales" and her litter name was Madame Blueberry so I kept the French abbreviation of Madame and combined her call name to her litter name and that is what I got!

·
Registered
27 Posts
We had Roxy for two days before we came up with a name. Brian, (my boyfriend) looked at me and said, "She looks like a Roxy, its not my favorite name, but she looks like a Roxy."
At that moment, Roxy barked like she was happy. And that was it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
This is how we came up with our girls name. We listened every afternoon to a radio station CHEZ 106 in Ottawa. There were two radio personalities on that always made us chuckle. It was called the Jeff and Carly Show. Their banter made us laugh.....That is how I picked Karlies name because this girl was so upbeat and happy on the show. The radio show isn't on here in Ottawa anymore, they moved to Toronto and I believe they work for Jack FM now.

We sure miss the show but love our girls name!

Ronna
Dallie & Karlie

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I picked the name Mila (Meela) for my girl because it's the short form of the Russian adjective milaya, which means 'sweet' or 'dear.' And my Mila is a really sweet dog. Jackson got his name because he was a Jack Russell terrier X, but I didn't want to name him 'Jack.' Gage was named by a little girl in Memphis before we adopted him. Toby got that name because I had always liked it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I didn't come up with Steel's name. The breeder did. I came up with Ubi's name (Ubique). It's the motto of my husband's regiment and means 'everywhere'.

·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The first time I considered Maya as a name for my girl was when I mentioned Maya the Bee. I used to watch it when I was little. I liked "Maya" a lot, because it was sweet like the cartoon, but it had this ancient sound... like the pre-columbian civilization. Besides, I was told afterwards, that the word Maya in Sanskrit meant "Illusion" or "dream"... and since I always had the dream of having a GR again... it was as if the name was made just for her.
Oh, and as a bonus, one of Picasso's daughters' name is Maya, and he's my favorite painter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts