Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
My children named this puppy shortly after our last dog died, even though we were not planning on getting another dog for nearly a year. The kids spent that year telling everyone who would listen about how we were going to get a golden retriever puppy named Waffles next summer. They never wavered from the name. By the time we actually brought home the puppy, there was no way he would be called anything else!

·
Registered
892 Posts
My first, who’s 2, is from a “Freedom” litter. She was born on the same day as our golden retriever, who passed away 3 months before. I’m very particular with names I like. And was adamant I wanted a French name. And when I found out they were born on the same day...Stella it was. She’s actually Estella du Nord to Freedom. The North Star to freedom.

My second, who just turned 1, was born on the first day of Advent. The liter theme was advent. We searched many advent/holiday names. But we’d just lost our lab whose name was Holly. And the only names we were completely drawn to were Violet and Noelle. But Stella/Violet didn’t roll off the tongue. Noelle is also a French name and thats her name! She is [Kennel name]Dreams of Hope [her mom], Holly & Noel

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are bringing home our new puppy in a few weeks. We are all avid readers so we are naming him Snitch like the golden snitch in Harry Potter :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We are bringing home our new puppy in a few weeks. We are all avid readers so we are naming him Snitch like the golden snitch in Harry Potter :)
Hey, that's in my list too exactly with the Harry Potter movie reference.
I'm also thinking of Sirius (Black). In general, it is known as the dog star. It is also the brightest star visible from any part of Earth. I'm yet to finalize a name from my list.

Congratulations on getting a puppy and I really like the name snitch :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just rewatched the hobbit trilogy and lord of the rings trilogy. I feel like Pip Pipin Peregrine would be so fun. Now say it three times fast.... Go!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The girls were sent home in March and said :if we're going to be home, we need a dog. Corona just made sense.

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
Randomness - I heard a song on the radio today which I immediately said "my next pup is going to be named that!" LOL....

"Kennel Name Whiskey N Tea" - Toddy

:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
We've been tossing arounds names for a year now, ever since we started looking for another golden puppy. Now we are only 8 weeks away from getting our pup, (just found out its a boy, born Monday!) and we still haven't decided for sure! I know my husband is gonna call him Bud or Buddy, but I want a real name as well. We're considering a name for an inside joke our family has laughed at for a long time - at my expense - because I could not properly pronounce a mexican name for salsa. Weird huh? I call it Tasco, but it's really Toscaso. So how does Tasco sound? His father is Gaucho, kinda mexican sounding so maybe it's the one. But, really, name a dog after a family joke? Hmmm, still thinking.....

·
Registered
881 Posts
Most recent dogs, from songs ...
  • Mississippi Moon - from the lyrics of Doobie Brothers' "Black Water."
  • Flirtin' With Disaster - Molly Hatchet's title song on their 1980 album.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey folks, I've been researching names as well and happened to find this thread. I wanted to ask if its necessary to have the theme + call name combo? Seems like everyone is doing so Im thinking it's a requirement?

Also, this website helps: Fantasy name generators. Names for all your fantasy characters.
It isn't a requirement to have both, per se. The AKC only allows a certain number of dogs to be registered with a certain name. I think Bob is already used up. Ok, I'm joking there. So, if you have a unique string of words, it is easy to register. I think that is why you see this practice.

We named our girl Bella, because we liked the name. Our youngest daughter wanted her to be named Rose. So, in a nod to her, the name tag says Bella Rose. I actually call her Bella Marie, so her registered name is Bella Rose Marie.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
It isn't a requirement to have both, per se. The AKC only allows a certain number of dogs to be registered with a certain name. I think Bob is already used up. Ok, I'm joking there. So, if you have a unique string of words, it is easy to register. I think that is why you see this practice.

We named our girl Bella, because we liked the name. Our youngest daughter wanted her to be named Rose. So, in a nod to her, the name tag says Bella Rose. I actually call her Bella Marie, so her registered name is Bella Rose Marie.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information. I love the naming scheme to be honest. Totally let’s you get creative just like they do for horses.

I suggest taking a look at the K9data.com site and just typing random searches. I got so many good ideas and words to mix and match.

Now, if I can just get my wife and daughter on board with picking a badass name and not the cuddly, cutesy ones it’ll have won the battle! but that’s a fight for another day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Okay! After listing 50-100 names and after going through all the names I liked, I selected a few names and made a shorter list.

A few names I like are from movies/books:
Sirius (named after Sirius black and it is the brightest star visible from earth - also known as the dog star)
Julian (named after King Julian from Madagascar movie)
Rico ( Again from Madagascar)
Shifu (Master Shifu from Kung fu panda)
Keanu ( from the movie matrix)
Accio (It’s a harry potter spell a Summoning Charm- Goldens are good at Retrieving I thought it was a nice name for a golden)
Togo
Mowgli (from the Jungle Book)

I just like these names, not much of a reference:
Charlie
Benny
Yuki
(which means snow - he is a winter baby)
Aster
Jasper

When I was a kid, there were 2 dogs at my grandma’s home I like their names too
Chotu and Dingu

I really like all of them. When I asked my friends and family, Shifu was the most voted name but still some of them said it isn’t a great name. I know it totally depends on what I like rather than my friends and family as I’m the one who is going to be with this pup all the time.

I like all of them and I find it really hard to choose one.

Hopefully I will decide soon!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts