Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Now that I'm close to getting a puppy, I have been looking for names and I made a big list of the names I like.
I selected names based on :
1. The characters I have liked (movies, books, cartoons etc)
2. Winter / Christmas based names (the litter is likely to have a Christmas themed names)
3. Names associated with my place and home country
4. Lastly, a few names I found randomly on Google. ( I like the names because of what they mean)

I'm now in the phase of filtering out names. I was just curious to know how did you name you pup?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Our dog Scott was named after a friend of ours who passed away unexpectedly about a week before the puppy came home. Our human friend Scott was an adventurous guy who loved dog sledding. There is another dog (a Husky) also called Scott in Sweden, named after him too. 😊

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hmm a good theme is always fun. Your favorite book character. A name that coincides with the season the puppy was born in?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We started with a "call name" (Kona) that we liked, and then figured out how to fit it into the "theme" being used by our breeder (Kona's dam is "Shadalane's Summer Breeze", so Kona is "Shadalane Island Breeze"). We had about three (3) call names, settling on "Kona" (Hawaiian for "lady").
Haha that's nice, I like the name Kona. Even I might have to find a way to fit the name I choose with the theme.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our dog Scott was named after a friend of ours who passed away unexpectedly about a week before the puppy came home. Our human friend Scott was an adventurous guy who loved dog sledding. There is another dog (a Husky) also called Scott in Sweden, named after him too. 😊
That's so sweet!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm a good theme is always fun. Your favorite book character. A name that coincides with the season the puppy was born in?
Yeah. I have a few names from each category :) Hopefully the one I decide on fits with the theme.

·
Registered
36 Posts
While I was dreaming about getting a puppy, I thought of a whole slew of names for a female Golden, all of which had sentimental meanings and were related to my interests in video games and music. Ironically, though, I ended up getting a male Golden and found it wayyy harder to settle on a name for him 😆 In the end, I chose the name Robin because Robin Hood is my favorite Disney movie, and I also like the way it sounds. The registered name didn't matter quite as much to me - my litter's theme was Faith Hill songs, so I just found a song whose lyrics I liked. Whatever name you pick, you'll learn to love it by association anyway - you'll love your dog, and you'll hence learn to love his name :)

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
I basically wanted to name my 2 youngest pups names that symbolized joy - which I felt on the privilege of getting them. :) So Jovi and Glee.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My girl’s litter had a children’s game theme. Her call name is Winx. Registered Twincreek’s Sweet Tiddlywinks Rose.

My boy’s litter had a party theme. His call name is Pilot which doesn’t exactly adhere but his registered name is Twincreek’s Black Tie Affair.

I also have a rescue mix breed named Roxanne because she’s a flashy girl that was found on the streets. (Like the song) Registered name is El Tango De Roxanne.

·
Super Moderator
4,142 Posts
First Golden's name, "Cirrus" was found by starting at "A" in the dictionary and stopping at a name I liked. His look reminded me of a cirrus cloud. The next, "Hudson" was named after our street, and the third came with his name and he truly is an "Oscar."

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Mine is "Prism's Lately I've Been Thinking". That was born out of whole lot of love and intense sadness/grief about losing my last Golden (Cool Hand Luke) and a lot of love and joy about getting another one. I was going to wait, but I knew Luke would want me to move on and be happy again. The litter theme was "late" and this is the video that helped to inspire me:

Marshmello -- Happier

His call name is Logan. That is in honor of my father who was born in Logan, West Virginia. Thinking of him also makes me happier. He was a wonderful father. Logan also means hollow, which reminded me of West Virginia too -- a mountain hollow.

Mostly it's all about how love goes on and on. Logan is the perfect addition to our family. He's filled with tons of happy and love -- and I am much happier with him here.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I didn't know Bear's name until we picked him up. I looked at him and just liked how Bear sounded for him.
CeeCee was the result of a late change to the original call name we picked cause it resembled some of the sounds to make the change as fluid as possible.
Lana is named after a main character in Archer (the running joke being you have to say her name multiple times just like in the show).
Molly's litter theme was the 80s and Molly is the only girl name I really liked and thought would fit well with the rest of the family.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
I had my puppy's name all picked out and ready - but when I picked her up, it just didn't fit (it's back on my list - I'll use it one day). She was nameless for several days as people suggested names that just didn't do it for me. Finally I remembered a name from my childhood. Shala (Shah-la, not Shay-la) was a little girl on Sesame Street in the 70s and my little 4-year-old self thought it was the prettiest name in the world - so soft sounding. I decided I would name a little girl Shala one day. I never had a little girl, so my nameless puppy became Shala.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts