Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw the vet today to talk about various things, and one thing we discussed was Flora's left hip. According to the xrays, Flora's left hip shows mild/moderate dysplastic symptoms :(, but her right hip is fine :). I asked my vet if that was common and she sort of waffled on it, but eventually said that they see a fair amount of it. Anyhow, I was reading an article recently on bilateral hip dysplasia, and the author was suggesting that bilateral hip dysplasia was more likely a result of some untreated injury when the dog was young rather than genetics, which was an interesting suggestion. Flora's left leg is the one that had such bad patellar luxation, and I wonder if that contributed to her hip issues.

I'm just curious is all. I'm actually hoping her hip dysplasia is related to an injury and not genetics, for fear that her right hip might become bad as well if it's a genetic issue. :uhoh:

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts
Most things tend to be balanced. To see a dysplastic hip on one side and a good on the other seems a little odd. Were the ratings done by OFA or were they your Vets evaluation?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most things tend to be balanced. To see a dysplastic hip on one side and a good on the other seems a little odd. Were the ratings done by OFA or were they your Vets evaluation?
Oh, sorry, the word 'good' wasn't referring to an actual rating of her hip, just that it was good in comparison to Flora's bad hip. She didn't say that it looked dysplastic at all, but that doesn't mean it's a good rating. It's probably a fair at best.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I saw the vet today to talk about various things, and one thing we discussed was Flora's left hip. According to the xrays, Flora's left hip shows mild/moderate dysplastic symptoms :(, but her right hip is fine :). I asked my vet if that was common and she sort of waffled on it, but eventually said that they see a fair amount of it. Anyhow, I was reading an article recently on hip dysplasia, and the author was suggesting that hip dysplasia in one hip was more likely a result of some untreated injury when the dog was young rather than genetics, which was an interesting suggestion. Flora's left leg is the one that had such bad patellar luxation, and I wonder if that contributed to her hip issues.

I'm just curious is all. I'm actually hoping her hip dysplasia is related to an injury and not genetics, for fear that her right hip might become bad as well if it's a genetic issue. :uhoh:
This is the article I was referring to:

http://www.showdogsupersite.com/hips.html

I am especially interested in people's opinions on this:

"When any dog has a hip dislocated, if it is not repaired within 48 hours, the socket begins to lose depth. When an injury occurs to a rear leg, whether it be a toe injury, a stifle injury, a soft tissue injury, or a hip injury, the result is often a decreased amount of weight bearing on that leg over a period of days to weeks or months. When this happens, the mechanical forces applied to the living bone tissue change, and the hips become asymmetrical, the injured hip becoming shallower in a similar fashion."

Flora's left knee was very bad b/c of patellar luxation, and I wonder if she was favoring that leg for a while without me really noticing, and that could have caused some irregularities with her hip. Ah, who knows? I could think about it my whole life and never really know. ;)

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Chance has elbow dysplasia in his right elbow only. His left elbow is perfectly normal. Maybe it can happen with hips, too.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chance has elbow dysplasia in his right elbow only. His left elbow is perfectly normal. Maybe it can happen with hips, too.
Well, even though HD and ED aren't that great, at least it's only in one leg for our dogs! :crossfing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts