Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed a deposit with a reputable European breeder last October 2020. Litter had 3 males and 4 females - we were 2nd pic. We were told at the time the pups turned 9 weeks, and 1st pic already made a selection, that one of the males we could choose from, one of their testicles could not be felt. I did not care for the last selection, I can't tell you why, but maybe from the videos, I chose to pass and be placed on another list.

Fast forward 7 months later, we were given a choice between two litters as first pic. The one female had a large litter of 9 pups. 5 out of 9 were male. However, we opted to go with a different litter, based on health records of both bitch & sire. That litter had ONE male. He's beautiful in every way. But this breeder withheld pictures for over 3 weeks. We were given pics at almost 4 weeks and I as wondering by the time the pup was almost 7 weeks, why we had no communication. Finally, breeder reached out and said we had SAME problem as before. Male - they can't feel the testicle.

Am I wrong to wonder if something is going on other than the testicle hasn't dropped??? Outstanding bitch and sire and I'm 100% certain this breeder sells to some top breeders in US. So what am I supposed to do??

·
Super Moderator
2,297 Posts
This sounds like just bad luck for us. Is it possible by the time the pup is almost 12 weeks that the testicle will drop?
It’s hard to say, they yo-yo for awhile. I will say when I was presented two puppies, even though the health certs said they were normal, when I evaluated the first and couldn’t find the testicle I chose to go with the second, where both were currently down.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
This sounds like just bad luck for us. Is it possible by the time the pup is almost 12 weeks that the testicle will drop?
Yes, I know of a dog who dropped his at 5 months. On the flip side those little buggers are mobile so you can have a puppy with them down at 8 weeks and had it sucked back up.

If this is a breeding dog, then yes it is a concern. If this is a companion or performance dog that will be neutered, it becomes pretty much a non-issue. The neuter will be more like a spay but that’s about it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It’s hard to say, they yo-yo for awhile. I will say when I was presented two puppies, even though the health certs said they were normal, when I evaluated the first and couldn’t find the testicle I chose to go with the second, where both were currently down.
100% to this. On our first vet check (10 weeks), our vet could only feel one and told us that we would have a cryptorchid puppy, which would definitively end his chances at showing, which sent us into a spiral and rabbit hole of research into this topic. I read something like 1-3% of golden males are cryptorchid. I even DM'd some people on this forum who wrote about this topic in the past. Long story short: our breeder confirmed all testicles had dropped on all the boys before making recommendations and picks for us. After we brought him home after that vet visit, we swear we could only feel one ball and saw something round protruding in his lower abdomen (could have been his other testicle or our imagination -- who knows). The next day, both testicles were there. We then continued to feel check him every day for like a week -- every time, same result (normal). Don't know how much yo-yoing happens from hour to hour or day to day, but it could be temporary.

We told our breeder and she mentioned that sometimes puppies get nervous during exams and that could have caused it to go back up. Either that or our vet didn't know what she was feeling (also more common than you would think). So after we felt good about not having a cryptorchid puppy, we switched vets.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,941 Posts
Why bad luck? Were you planning on using him for breeding? If not, then just get your puppy and don't worry about it. They are perfectly normal, healthy dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts