Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pretty cold outside... windchills around -10 or so. Is it too cold to take Flora on a walk? I was going to go to a nature preserve where she wouldn't be exposed to salt and whatever, but I'm worried it may freeze her paws off (not literally, of course, but you know what I mean.) Am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
278 Posts
stay inside today, it might be too much for the paws to be out for more then a few min especially in the snow.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I'm having a hard time keeping Bailey inside with the snow even though there are subzero temps out there. I've been walking on the treadmill and letting Bailey play outside for a few minutes at a time. I would love to take her for a walk around the block, but I too, think it's too cold out there.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stay inside today, it might be too much for the paws to be out for more then a few min especially in the snow.
That's what I was afraid of. :( Nothing like a cooped in Flora to make me go crazy! Ah well. We'll make good of it.

I'm having a hard time keeping Bailey inside with the snow even though there are subzero temps out there. I've been walking on the treadmill and letting Bailey play outside for a few minutes at a time. I would love to take her for a walk around the block, but I too, think it's too cold out there.
Ooh, I wish we had a treadmill. That would make things easier (and warmer!) :)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Yep, it's an "inside day" for us, too. It's really snowin' and blowin' out there. It's about 20 degrees right now, with 15-25mph winds. Uh-uh... too cold for me! Riley's in his glory with this weather, but it's a bit more than I can handle.

Am I the only one who feels horribly guilty, though? Gunner couldn't care less, but Riley's giving me "the face." He doesn't understand why we're not going for our walk. I've tried to explain that it's just too cold for mom, but I don't think he's getting it. :p:

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
I don't really know and have wondered myself but...

It's -15 here this morning and the girls keep pretending to "need to go potty" and then they just go outside and play, except for Luna who just lays down on the ice.

In fact I hear Piper scratching at the door AGAIN! LOL They were out just before I started this reply! They love it!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
-5 today so I will ride the exercise bike in the basement and throw tennis balls for the dogs to retrieve. They get tired of it before I do :). I usually don''t go out if it is below 0, but I have before. It depends on tthe wind.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I use 10 degrees as our lower limit for the 1 mile walk to our mailbox. Dolly required snow boots at that temperature.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
I bought the PAWZ dog boots that Erica recommended, and they have enabled us to get out to play in the minus temperatures. I bundle up well, and Finn doesn't have to pull ice out of his paws, although he would like some help finding his tennis balls in all the white stuff:)

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Waayy too cold. In these temps, it's outside then back in as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tanner will be 11 weeks old tomorrow and just loves the snow. He'll play outside as long as the kids can last. I think that mental conditioning (rather than physiological ability) is a big part of tolerance to a cold environment.

It's been a relatively mild fall/winter thus far here in Canada, but he's always been in and out of the cold, playing in the snow, since he's been able to venture outside.

Its great because he comes in totally pooped and sleeps draped over my feet till the next romp in the snow.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
We took our dogs out last night for close to an hour....it was -27!!! They have no problem with the cold and usually when we get home, they want to go out again. I am thinking of getting them some booties though to protect their feet....my guess is though, when we put them on...we're going to get the pouty face!!!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
wait until Puddens mom see this tread.She will have a good laugh.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
We took our dogs out last night for close to an hour....it was -27!!! They have no problem with the cold and usually when we get home, they want to go out again.
LOL - I think Riley wants to come live with you. He's undoubtedly thinking that his mom is too much of a wimp. :p:
I definitely have an unhappy boy today.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I would love to have Riley!!! Unfortunately, here in Saskatchewan it can get and stay cold for long periods of time so we have no other option but to bundle up and take the dogs out for their exercise. I try to keep them in as much as possible when it's this cold but they get antsy and start getting into trouble!! My house looks like a toy bomb went off....there are toy remnants everywhere.....

LOL - I think Riley wants to come live with you. He's undoubtedly thinking that his mom is too much of a wimp. :p:
I definitely have an unhappy boy today.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I would love to have Riley!!! Unfortunately, here in Saskatchewan it can get and stay cold for long periods of time so we have no other option but to bundle up and take the dogs out for their exercise. I try to keep them in as much as possible when it's this cold but they get antsy and start getting into trouble!! My house looks like a toy bomb went off....there are toy remnants everywhere.....
Ah, Saskatchewan. Yeah, that explains it! I guess you really would have no other choice but to get used to the cold and just deal with it.
Luckily, we usually get a few days here and there of brutally cold weather (well, my definition of brutally cold, anyway... lol) then it goes right back to being almost tolerable - 20s and 30s. So at least we're not cooped up for any extended period of time.

lol - I think Riley has dragged out every toy he owns today. We've been playing off and on all day. I pretty much gave up on getting any work done. He's not having it.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I changed my mind when I went home for lunch. The temp had soared to 5 above so I bundled up and took them for a four mile walk. They love it because they can be off leash. They had a riot and we had no feet problems. But I know the city has not put any salt down because it is too cold and they do not want to just plow it back up. It was actually quite nice when the wind was at my back. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts