Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ah yes JulieMA. That's the other issue. So I have extra pairs of boots (in time you will have acquired many as well) at the ready depending upon the urgency of an outing and/or what I will encounter on the ground. One pair I especially like - front zip all-weather mid-calf lined boots from Lands End. I keep 2 pairs (exact same boots) in the mudroom, one with cleats on and one without. These are the most versatile and I can slip them on in an instant - no lacing up needed.
Having 2 pair of your favorite boots also works well for the wet snow days where the boots get damp. Switch over to the other pair until pair #1 is dry. Nothing worse than putting your feet into damp boots. And I also have a boot-dryer but honestly don't use it all that much.
And for speed again, I have one ridiculously thick long (almost to my ankles) hooded puffer long coat from Land's End that is hanging in the mud room as well. I prefer to layer and wear thinner coats to walk the boys. But for speed of getting outside ( like late at night for their last short outing or first thing in a.m.), I can just throw that one coat on plus slip into the front-zip boots quick and be outside in seconds. And whatever time it takes outside is ok bc I am warm "enough" - not counting the seconds to go back inside.
You will get faster at "gearing up" as you streamline the process and do it over and over and over. But the cold bright sunny winter mornings outside - and Archie's happy tail - make up for some of the inconvenience. My guys ADORE winter and everything that comes with it. Even at -16 F yesterday morning.
Great tips! I currently have 1 of everything, but will start the Noah’s Ark of “frigid-wear”! 🥶

And yes, JulieCA vs. JulieMA…I’ve got to say that I’m just not ready to give up my Golden State moniker…yet! 😂

·
Registered
404 Posts
We just had a few -30 F degree days last week. My golden gets a little cold after a bit, but I just watch him to know when he’s ready to go back in. He’ll usually lift his paws up or lay down in a ball. My Newfie absolutely loves it though. The colder the better for him haha! I think your boy should be fine, just keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Good! I have the same! I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live somewhere that doesn't require so many coats / jackets for the different types of weather. 😀
There is basically no weather I don't have the proper clothing for. I hunt train and track so most of it lives in my car in case it rains or gets colder over the course of four hours outside in the middle of nowhere. Right now, there are two pairs of boots, 3 rain jackets (one short, one lined, one long), two winter coats, rain pants, snow pants, and probably 3 pairs of gloves and mitts and at least two hats in there! Oh, plus an extra hoodie and a down vest.😄

Reactions: Ontariodogsitter

·
Registered
656 Posts
YUP, must live in the same country ;)
In my advanced age I have aded down fill west under my down fill coat, which makes me look like the abominable snowman, but since all the young dog walkers have dropped off, I am the only one on the road and nobody sees my down covered hugeness. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
YUP, must live in the same country ;)
In my advanced age I have aded down fill west under my down fill coat, which makes me look like the abominable snowman, but since all the young dog walkers have dropped off, I am the only one on the road and nobody sees my down covered hugeness. :)
I’d be one to come over and join you- even in 60 degree weather😅

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sounds like the lot of you in Canada are pros with the cold! Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do with ice? And by what to do, I mean for humans and dogs?

Here in Chicago the cold and snow are typically manageable but we just had a 4 day stretch where there was solid ice everywhere, even packed down in the parks. I was slipping everywhere, Kiki was slipping everywhere-- I had to call it off. I try to have her wear booties because with ice comes salt, but even though her boots have some grip, she seems to have better grip with her paws. But then it gets too cold and she starts holding her paws up. All this to say we have had a sad puppy!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I hate ice! I swear alot more when walking for sure. You can walk on the grass more instead of the sidewalk. Else you can buy yak traks that slip on over your shoes or ice bugs which are shoes that have spikes built in. I have Yak Tracks which are pretty good.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hate ice! I swear alot more when walking for sure. You can walk on the grass more instead of the sidewalk. Else you can buy yak traks that slip on over your shoes or ice bugs which are shoes that have spikes built in. I have Yak Tracks which are pretty good.
Thank you!!! I'll be checking the Yak Tracks out. I didn't know they existed!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
It supposed to be 10°F tomorrow (colder with wind chill) and I had planned to take my dogs to my grandmothers property and do some retrieving in her field (friend of mine graciously gave us some duck wings to start with) but now I’m worried I’ll wimp out. The dogs would be fine…me, not so much 😅

·
Registered
135 Posts
It supposed to be 10°F tomorrow (colder with wind chill) and I had planned to take my dogs to my grandmothers property and do some retrieving in her field (friend of mine graciously gave us some duck wings to start with) but now I’m worried I’ll wimp out. The dogs would be fine…me, not so much 😅
I didn’t expect it to be near 35 degrees where I live near the smoky mountains) and I literally watched from inside my house while my puppy played today with my husband lol- they can suffer… NOT ME

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, I can make you all feel a bit warmer today......
Mr Fahrenheit and Mr Celsius meet at -40,
I am afraid the meeting is getting pretty close with a windchill at -35 Today, and yes we will go outside, but may be trotting rather then walking to make sure we don't freeze to the ground.... ;)

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Our windchill is currently -27 C (positively balmy! lol). It's very bright and sunny - which helps. I haven't decided what we are going to do - probably drive to the area where we can do a good off leash walk and run. If we walk on leash in my neighbourhood, there will be too much stopping and sniffing, and I feel like we will both need to keep moving!

Re. ice... thankfully, we don't really get days on end of sheer ice. I live in the city, so sidewalks get salted. We did have it a few years ago after we had rain and then a massive temperature plunge - which then stuck around for weeks (remember the Polar Vortex? Yeah, that). It was really awful then because while the sidewalks were salted, every green area was an ice rink for about two months. And they didn't salt secondary and side street sidewalks very well - just the main ones. I do remember that being a really trying time in terms of dog walking.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts