Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How cold is too cold to walk your dog? We live in Canada and it’s around -25 Celsius here right now but Russell doesn’t really seem to mind. He usually goes for 3 15 minute walks a day, sometimes longer and doesn’t seem to mind. And if we can’t walk him, then what should we do to let him exercise?

·
Registered
13,658 Posts
To me, as long as my dog is not too cold, it's not too cold. I check her ears frequently to make sure they aren't getting cold, but my dog is basically a walking space heater. She emits warmth even when it's -20 C. I make sure to keep her moving when it's very cold - but if it's very windy with the cold, I will cut it shorter just to be safe.

·
Kate
22,991 Posts
looks up -25 C

I'm going to sound like a wimp, but here goes. :D

How cold is too cold?

THAT is too cold. :)

It never gets that cold in MI but we still have stories about outside dogs getting frozen to the ground.

·
Registered
675 Posts
:)
When I got up this morning, in Eastern Ontario, I couldn't find the red line on the outside thermometer, that is usually a bit on a cold side ;)
double checked for our Southern neighbors -10F
even I thought it was too cold, then let the dogs out and they reminded me of little kids in the water, shaking, teeth rattling, saying "I am NOT cold, "
...so threw some double layers on... possibly triple. and out I went with them, I did call it after 20 minutes possibly enough for everybody :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
looks up -25 C

I'm going to sound like a wimp, but here goes. :D

How cold is too cold?

THAT is too cold. :)

It never gets that cold in MI but we still have stories about outside dogs getting frozen to the ground.
I had one girl that refused to go out anything colder than 30 farenheit 😅

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
It's -23 C here today. I have two dogs, a poodle and a golden retriever. The poodle has to be pushed out of the door to do his business, and takes exactly the number of seconds he needs, then comes back in. The golden retriever had to be called inside. We're going for a walk this afternoon. I have a coat for him, which he will wear today (exceptionally). We're walking on snow in the forest, so he'll be ok without boots, but if we were walking in the street, I'd put boots on him because the salt used to melt the snow seems to exacerbate the cold factor.

The problem today will be me, not him. Minus 23 is not warm. I'll be bundled up like a homeless yeti, and we'll still have to cut the walk short because my ears will freeze despite my earband and fleece-lined wool toque.

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
It gets too cold for me nowadays before it's too cold for the dogs. When it's too cold for me, they go on the treadmill...

The poodle has to be pushed out of the door to do his business, and takes exactly the number of seconds he needs, then comes back in.
This is exactly what Grandma Pebbles does. :)

·
Kate
22,991 Posts
double checked for our Southern neighbors -10F
To put that in context.... :D

I had to go out this morning to take a non-driving sibling to work. It was 19F degrees in our heated garage.

As I started the car and went out - the temp displayed in my car gradually dropped down to 1 degree.

Now I did have my car window open, I was wearing shorts and mule slippers and a light jacket which is what I'll wear all winter and have worn while walking the dogs because I'm too lazy to change clothes just because I'm leaving the house.... but I'll say I wasn't going out walking this morning. :D

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My old girl did experience frost bite on her foot her last winter. She was only out for a few minutes but it was way below zero and had a horrible windchill. She was 14 at that time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Slope

World Font Line Sky Technology

Archie was a happy dog! Me not so much! But because of everyone’s recommendations, I at least have the right kind of gear! My biggest pet peeve thus far is ALL THE TIME it takes to get geared up. More time than the actual walk! I bow down to all the parents who have to get kids ready to go outside!

Reactions: Cjm

·
Registered
251 Posts
Our air temp was -15 and wind chill was -25 for a couple days. My dogs feet get cold quickly. I told her was were having inside recess those days. :) It warmed up a little today and we went out for a quick walk. She was happy. Take your clues from your dog. They get cold as well.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
View attachment 888514
View attachment 888513

Archie was a happy dog! Me not so much! But because of everyone’s recommendations, I at least have the right kind of gear! My biggest pet peeve thus far is ALL THE TIME it takes to get geared up. More time than the actual walk! I bow down to all the parents who have to get kids ready to go outside!
Ah yes JulieMA. That's the other issue. So I have extra pairs of boots (in time you will have acquired many as well) at the ready depending upon the urgency of an outing and/or what I will encounter on the ground. One pair I especially like - front zip all-weather mid-calf lined boots from Lands End. I keep 2 pairs (exact same boots) in the mudroom, one with cleats on and one without. These are the most versatile and I can slip them on in an instant - no lacing up needed.
Having 2 pair of your favorite boots also works well for the wet snow days where the boots get damp. Switch over to the other pair until pair #1 is dry. Nothing worse than putting your feet into damp boots. And I also have a boot-dryer but honestly don't use it all that much.
And for speed again, I have one ridiculously thick long (almost to my ankles) hooded puffer long coat from Land's End that is hanging in the mud room as well. I prefer to layer and wear thinner coats to walk the boys. But for speed of getting outside ( like late at night for their last short outing or first thing in a.m.), I can just throw that one coat on plus slip into the front-zip boots quick and be outside in seconds. And whatever time it takes outside is ok bc I am warm "enough" - not counting the seconds to go back inside.
You will get faster at "gearing up" as you streamline the process and do it over and over and over. But the cold bright sunny winter mornings outside - and Archie's happy tail - make up for some of the inconvenience. My guys ADORE winter and everything that comes with it. Even at -16 F yesterday morning.

·
Registered
13,658 Posts
I always says, anyone who says windchill factor/feels like temperature is not a real thing... doesn't have a dog.

This week where I am, it was -7 C but with windchill, felt like -17 C. Come walk with me for an hour and tell me if you'd rather dress for -7 or -17! It is most definitely a thing. All that matters is what it feels like! 🥶

·
Registered
243 Posts
I always says, anyone who says windchill factor/feels like temperature is not a real thing... doesn't have a dog.

This week where I am, it was -7 C but with windchill, felt like -17 C. Come walk with me for an hour and tell me if you'd rather dress for -7 or -17! It is most definitely a thing. All that matters is what it feels like! 🥶
You might want to invest in a warmer coat though. I have a sub zero coat from Mountain Hardware and I'm rarely not sweating with the jacket unzipped after a good walk in temperatures colder than this. You might balk at the price but a good winter cost is SO worth it!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,658 Posts
You might want to invest in a warmer coat though. I have a sub zero coat from Mountain Hardware and I'm rarely not sweating with the jacket unzipped after a good walk in temperatures colder than this. You might balk at the price but a good winter cost is SO worth it!!!!!!
I could also show you my collection of coats. :) In that story, I was well-dressed for the feeling like -17 C. My warmest one is good to -30 C, and I am the master of layers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I could also show you my collection of coats. :) In that story, I was well-dressed for the feeling like -17 C. My warmest one is good to -30 C, and I am the master of layers.
Good! I have the same! I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live somewhere that doesn't require so many coats / jackets for the different types of weather. 😀

1 - 20 of 37 Posts