Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 6 mo Annie to some local wetlands I have near my house a few days ago and the temp was about 15 F. Because the temp had been low like that for the past few days all of the standing water was completely frozen, but there is lots of streams and canals that weren't frozen over, and she really wanted to get in and swim but I didn't let her due to the cold.

But I would assume a hunting dog would have to get in water this cold, so what is too cold for her? And if it is not too cold for a full grown dog, is it still too cold for a 6 month old? I hate to keep her away from chasing the birds, but I don't want to turn her into a popsicle either.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
After they are a year old I think you can let them decide. Just be sure you have way to warm them up nearby if you notice them start to shiver. My guys go swimming in the ocean year round here in Maine. They don't seem to go near the water on really cold days (<20F )though.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
After they've got a full coat, I let the dog decide. Cody used to come out with icicles hanging from his feathers, but he was never the worse for wear after getting in the car and warming up. Just be extremely careful about thin ice and NEVER let your pup out on any ice at all unless you know it is feet thick, not inches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts