Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joey right now is eating 1/2 Pro plan skin and coat, and 1/2 Fromm duck and potato. I've herd many people say good things about the pro plan skin and coat so Joeys been eating it for a couple of months now. At the same time he is still on his Fromm. Im just curious if I would know if Joey's coat is poor or how would I know if he has a good coat? Im debating if I should just keep him on one food or the other. Price isnt a factor its just a pain because one type of food always runs out before the other and I get them at different stores :doh:

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Tess in on Fromm's Duck and Sweet Potato. Last time she was at her breeders, they told me she needed fish oil as a supplement, because her coat was dry. I started her on the fish oil, and after a month I can feel the difference...

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'd guess it depends on your definition of "good". Good as in: texture? Bloom? Length? All of the above?

My judgement of coat is most likely different than people who do conformation, but I always check the skin first. Is the skin dry? Flaky? If so, it's going to affect the coat.

Is the coat shiny? Does it 'feel' right? Or is it oily, smelly, too coarse? I know some people say a golden's coat shouldn't be too silky either!

Does he have a full set of feathers/pants? Or are they stringy or thin? How's the ruff?

Ranger's coat was looking awful in October. He was sick right when he was blowing his coat and boy, was his coat ever affected by it. It had an oily feel, yet the skin was flaky, and his tail feathers were so thin. Lost the glossiness of his coat, too.

Now, his coat is back to feeling and looking glossy, the dry skin is getting under control (it's always so dry here and it takes a huge toll from summer to winter), and his tail feathers are finally growing out. Right now he's got 2 different lengths of tail feathers. But, Ranger is also never going to have a golden retriever coat. He doesn't have the undercoat for it so his tail and feathers are always going to be judged wanting when compared to a golden...which is why i go by how glossy his coat is, how it feels, and how his skin looks.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Easiest way is to look at the label on the inside and see if you recognize the name. ;)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I have wondered the same thing especially since I don't think Brooks' coat looks as good as it used to. He seems to be losing little clumpy tufts (they kindof are still stuck on but I can see the whole clump needing to be brushed out) rather than just the continual dropping of fine hairs all over the house.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I have wondered the same thing especially since I don't think Brooks' coat looks as good as it used to. He seems to be losing little clumpy tufts (they kindof are still stuck on but I can see the whole clump needing to be brushed out) rather than just the continual dropping of fine hairs all over the house.
Carmella's coat did that, and that was the first sign that she had a thyroid problem. We could pull out little tufts of white fur everywhere, it wasn't like normal shedding.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think a shiny coat is a healthy coat. A little shedding but certainly no clumps. A lot of the Omega's (3 or 6) and zinc will help enhance the skin and coat. I think soft is healthy but I have been told on GRF, by folks who show, that a coat shouldn't be too soft. This may sound wierd but I have had many color phases of Goldens and the lighter Goldens have better coats than the medium or darker?

If you want to look in to just one food...Did you know that NUTRO is the only brand that guarantees to improve the skin and coat? This includes less shedding. Plus they have 6 different formulas for sensitivities including those that manifest in coat issues.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Carmella's coat did that, and that was the first sign that she had a thyroid problem. We could pull out little tufts of white fur everywhere, it wasn't like normal shedding.
That's why I am concerned because Brooks is being treated (hypothyroid). He lost weight over the year since he started treatment so when a recheck was done, his dosage was slightly lowered (about 2 months ago) and now the funny clumpy thing is going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts