Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Enzo's mom
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there~
I'm a Golden Lover who want to be a reputable breeder in the future. I hope to breed quality standard Goldens with typical temperament and good health. My most passion is to get in to show activities. However, I am a freshener in this field. So, it's difficult to choose my first show Golden. I research some kennel which are Summit, Highmark, and Nautilus. They all produce excellent dogs, so I couldn't decide to start with which line. Also, I want to have a good stud first, but my friend who is Alaska Malanute breeder told me is better to have a good foundation dam first. Someone give suggestion to me?

I'm a beginer but learning now. Please forgive me if I say any thing wrong:--keep_silent:

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
The best thing is to find a mentor who believes in you and will work with you from a smaller kennel- someone with whom you feel a nice rapport.

No matter how great the breeder you contact, you still have to wait 2 years minimum for health clearances to be official; realistically with our beloved breed, sometimes there are problems no matter how responsible everyone is. With a male, it's a rare dog ( there are a few on our forum) who is SO outstanding that quality girls seek him out. To attract wonderful golden girls, your boy dog needs to finish his championship and perhaps accomplish things in other venues.

I happen to know that a show.breeding quality puppy from one of the breeders on your list can be 4,500 but I do not know the others. You have to pay for clearances( probably prelims too)so you know what you're dealing with. The expense of doing things right is atronomically higher than it seems. Add in handler costs and entery fees- it is really daunting.

Good luck to you,and I am glad you want to do everything ethically and right.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Another idea to toss into the ring (grin) would be to start competing in companion events like obedience, agility (do they label agility a companion event or a sport?) etc....or hunt trials.

By doing so...you start to learn the breed from the inside out - you begin to understand why it is so important that they are healthy, have appropriate temperament, drive and proper structure.

JOIN a local club! You will be able to steward at shows....talk with breeders...have lots of opportunities to learn...

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Good advice everyone. Breeding is for those who do all the research needed to impove the breed. Also clearances after two are must. Make sure your dam is not just a sweet girl who you think would be a good mama. There are plenty of sweet girls out there. Make sure she is a true example of what a golden should be with temperment, health and structure. Get a mentor that can help you with breeding, testing, stud search. Have your girls evaluated by other breeders and golden knowleged owners if they agree she is a breedable female. Sometime our eyes don't see all the flaws because we are so in love with them.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Hi there~
I'm a Golden Lover who want to be a reputable breeder in the future. I hope to breed quality standard Goldens with typical temperament and good health. My most passion is to get in to show activities. However, I am a freshener in this field. So, it's difficult to choose my first show Golden. I research some kennel which are Summit, Highmark, and Nautilus. They all produce excellent dogs, so I couldn't decide to start with which line. Also, I want to have a good stud first, but my friend who is Alaska Malanute breeder told me is better to have a good foundation dam first. Someone give suggestion to me?

I'm a beginer but learning now. Please forgive me if I say any thing wrong:--keep_silent:
As a newbie, here's my advice. Find a good breeder who is close to you and willing to mentor you. If you want to attempt to handle your own dog, it would be a bonus if you had a breeder that also showed their own dogs (or at least did at one point in time). Distance is currently a killer for me. Coming from where I was, I had to travel a long distance to get a good puppy, and while I have a mentor she lives so far away that I actually haven't met her in person although she has always been very helpful.

·
Enzo's mom
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best thing is to find a mentor who believes in you and will work with you from a smaller kennel- someone with whom you feel a nice rapport.

No matter how great the breeder you contact, you still have to wait 2 years minimum for health clearances to be official; realistically with our beloved breed, sometimes there are problems no matter how responsible everyone is. With a male, it's a rare dog ( there are a few on our forum) who is SO outstanding that quality girls seek him out. To attract wonderful golden girls, your boy dog needs to finish his championship and perhaps accomplish things in other venues.

I happen to know that a show.breeding quality puppy from one of the breeders on your list can be 4,500 but I do not know the others. You have to pay for clearances( probably prelims too)so you know what you're dealing with. The expense of doing things right is atronomically higher than it seems. Add in handler costs and entery fees- it is really daunting.

Good luck to you,and I am glad you want to do everything ethically and right.
I will start with boy golden first. That's will give me enough time for learning and be familiar with the show activities and breeding. I won't be breed puppies when I'm not ready to do that.
It's good to know that I must planning to have more budget than the price of one golden.
thanks~

·
Enzo's mom
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another idea to toss into the ring (grin) would be to start competing in companion events like obedience, agility (do they label agility a companion event or a sport?) etc....or hunt trials.

By doing so...you start to learn the breed from the inside out - you begin to understand why it is so important that they are healthy, have appropriate temperament, drive and proper structure.

JOIN a local club! You will be able to steward at shows....talk with breeders...have lots of opportunities to learn...
I also very interest in field competition, but it looks quite difficult to me.

·
Enzo's mom
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good advice everyone. Breeding is for those who do all the research needed to impove the breed. Also clearances after two are must. Make sure your dam is not just a sweet girl who you think would be a good mama. There are plenty of sweet girls out there. Make sure she is a true example of what a golden should be with temperment, health and structure. Get a mentor that can help you with breeding, testing, stud search. Have your girls evaluated by other breeders and golden knowleged owners if they agree she is a breedable female. Sometime our eyes don't see all the flaws because we are so in love with them.
I will remember your advice. Hope I could find a nice mentor

·
Enzo's mom
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a newbie, here's my advice. Find a good breeder who is close to you and willing to mentor you. If you want to attempt to handle your own dog, it would be a bonus if you had a breeder that also showed their own dogs (or at least did at one point in time). Distance is currently a killer for me. Coming from where I was, I had to travel a long distance to get a good puppy, and while I have a mentor she lives so far away that I actually haven't met her in person although she has always been very helpful.
I really agree with your idea~~Starting with girl might difficult to a newbie

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Oh, I wanted to add too that you should start now by buying books on breeding and structure. In particular I've head Dogsteps by Pagey Eliot is really good (and I happen to have one on order for myself).

·
Enzo's mom
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I wanted to add too that you should start now by buying books on breeding and structure. In particular I've head Dogsteps by Pagey Eliot is really good (and I happen to have one on order for myself).
I enrolled to the GRCA and bought some books from their website. Including the one you had mention, the blue one which is A Study of Golden Retriever, and a white cover one is about breeding knowledge. I an reading them now but slowly....cause my English reading skill needs to be improved too:--hmpf:

·
Enzo's mom
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Starting out with your current Golden in companion events would be a great way to meet knowledgeable people in your area. Also joining your local Golden Retriever club and getting involved. You could offer to help out at a specialty or a companion event.
that's really helpful adivice to me. Thanks:--big_grin::--shyly:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts