Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing/wrestling on the bed. We JUST started letting them BOTH sleep in our room at night. Now, I don't mind them playing and wrestling around... but I DON'T like them doing it on the bed. I want them to realize that when they are on the bed it's relaxing/quiet time.

We've been just making them get off the bed when they start wrestling, but I'm not sure we're going about it the right way.

If we keep that up should it start working? Should we be doing something else too?

Thanks. :)

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, it wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't HURT. Sometimes they land on my abdomen where I had surgery and it brings tears to my eyes. And Gary hates it when they step on delicate parts of his body too. LOL.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
dramatically march their furry butts out of the room into their crates and close the bedroom door.....and go back to bed ;-)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
dramatically march their furry butts out of the room into their crates and close the bedroom door.....and go back to bed ;-)
It really is that simple! When we were first weaning Tucker out of his crate at night and he thought our bed was a playground, straight to his kennel he went. He eventually learned that lights out means quiet time and calmed down quite a bit when we went to bed.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
It takes time. Probably twice the time as with one dog. But for Max it was a few week horror not getting much sleep time. Now, we go upstairs and he jumps on the bed with his toy and goes right to sleep. So time and patience, I would say.

Max doesn't have a crate so that wasn't an option here. He's really chilled out a lot even when he's locked in the kitchen and I'm at work. So maybe it's a maturity thing to. I'm not sure who is older - Max or Mojo?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I make mine get down when they start wrestling when I am in bed. They are starting to learn that they cant do it.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Seriously Jen, no wrestling in bed, back to the crates if they can't be still. Be firm. If you couldn't stop it the first time, stop it now, they will figure it out.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We went about three or four hours last night, putting them in their kennels after they started playing... and then letting them out half an hour later.

After the sixth or seventh time, Gary stood up to put them in their kennels and they stopped (like, "WE WEREN'T DOING ANYTHING DAD, WE WERE BEING GOOD!!") and relaxed... and then spent the rest of the night like that!!

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Mine havent wrestled at bedtime for about a week but woke me up this morning by wrestling. Nothing like waking up to a foot into the belly and butt in face.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts