Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Thanks all for your responses to my post.

Several responses were from people who objected to my reference that the average woman might not be able to handle a big aggressive dog.

Rocky, (my Golden who died last year), and I were walking across a parking lot when a big, black PitBull came out of nowhere and attacked him. I sprayed this deadly dog in the face with the pepper spray I always carry which slowed him down but he was still aggressive. I kicked him, kept spraying him, and would have shot him if I had a gun. The ONLY thing I cared about was protecting Rocky from a big, tough, dangerous dog who might have killed him.

Have you ever seen a picture of a Golden Retriever that had been attacked by a PitBull? I have - not a pretty sight.

Would the average woman have reacted the same way? ?
Let's see....a Shiloh Shepherd attacked my boy. Is he still around? Yup! And I didn't have pepper spray or gun or any weapon at all, so go figure. Not so helpless after all, huh?

·
Registered
60 Posts

Several responses were from people who objected to my reference that the average woman might not be able to handle a big aggressive dog.

Rocky, (my Golden who died last year), and I were walking across a parking lot when a big, black PitBull came out of nowhere and attacked him. I sprayed this deadly dog in the face with the pepper spray I always carry which slowed him down but he was still aggressive. I kicked him, kept spraying him, and would have shot him if I had a gun. The ONLY thing I cared about was protecting Rocky from a big, tough, dangerous dog who might have killed him.

Have you ever seen a picture of a Golden Retriever that had been attacked by a PitBull? I have - not a pretty sight.

regardless of gender do not assume a strange man would put his life at risk to protect your dog from an attacking pit bull. Personally I don’t think any of this has to do with gender there are plenty of women who can be more assertive and think on their feet when it comes to an attack. It’s more of the personality and reaction of the person. If you think a random man wouldn’t possibly ditch your dog to save himself just because he’s a man you have some surprises in store for you. if I couldn’t take care of a dog physically and mentally I wouldn’t not get one and I most certainly wouldn’t put their life entirely in the hands of a stranger regardless of gender 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've seen far more men run from large dogs than women... In fact, I've had entire men RUN full speed away from my Golden, much less a Shepherd or APBT. In addition, both of my dogs combined weigh more than I do and I can heft both of them... at the same time. We practice dog catches, defensive handling, etc.. and, I plan on carrying. So, go ahead-- find a man that cares as much about your pooch.

Reactions: Hildae

·
Registered
181 Posts

seems like a woman would be more likely to carry pepper spray when out for a walk, it’s a pretty standard self defense thing.

·
Registered
Ramses
399 Posts
From personal experience, my mother defended my older brother and I (we were both children - I was 7 and my brother was 10 at that time) from a pack of stray dogs when we were going to school back in Singapore. My brother was riding his own bicycle. I was on the back of my mother's bicycle. And my older brother had already complained about these pack of dogs before. They were wild, and really scary and chasing us as we were on the bicycles. It was terrifying.

My mother got so mad, she got off the bicycle and took a long, thick large stick lying near the ground and she started swinging it around and yelling ... she was 100% ready to fight whether she got bit or not. This lasted a few mins as they kept assessing her... And they decided to back away and left. Never got chased again - they recognized her whenever we went by. And she was a small, slim woman - average as you say...

She did tell me today that she would not hesitate to fight off a pitbull for Ramses if she saw one... She's 61 now. She knows what pitbulls are because we used to have them in Singapore and how they can be unpredictable and dangerous -- They were banned quite early on in Singapore (1991 - I was a year old) so I don't have much experience personally with the breed.

It's not the age, gender or physicality that would determine the outcome, she says it's the courage that matters..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
No, because she would have been smart enough to have actually been carrying (I mean, you showed incompetence already by saying your dog has been attacked 3x and you still don't carry.) and the pit would be done.

And I mean that wholeheartedly. I have never in my life seen anyone more willing to do anything, absolutely ANYTHING, to defend her dog from an attack than a woman.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I had back surgery recently and will be needing to use a cane for awhile. I’ve been looking for an adult Golden - puppies are too rambunctious.

I have a lead on an 'adult' dog, and I’m trying to figure out how to fit him into my lifestyle. He’s only 2 years old, and still real ‘active’ of course - at 2 y.o he’s still just a kid! Dogs that age need lots of run / playtime - I’ve had 2 Goldens and took each one hiking in the hills or to the beach for a good run every day rain or shine.

I don’t want a dog ‘walker’ - that won’t do my new boy any good - he needs to run! Another consideration is I’m real wary of strange dogs, especially PitBulls. I had to pepper spray big dogs 3 different times that jumped on ‘my boys’, which is why I don’t want a female taking out my new dog. I want someone as capable, determined and belligerent as I am when it comes to protecting my ‘best friend.’ I live in a very safe area, but there are dangerous dogs and stupid dog owners everywhere.

Question: How can I find someone who can take my new dog out every day, make sure he gets good exercise, and protect him at all times?
Bolded what I was referring to in the original post.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had an Australian shepherd as my first dog when I was a teenager. Australian shepherds are a breed that "experts" discourage first-time dog owners from getting, yet my dog wasn't difficult for me at all. I'm just saying that personality is more important than gender when evaluating a pet sitter/dog walker.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts