Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had back surgery recently and will be needing to use a cane for awhile. I’ve been looking for an adult Golden - puppies are too rambunctious.

I have a lead on an 'adult' dog, and I’m trying to figure out how to fit him into my lifestyle. He’s only 2 years old, and still real ‘active’ of course - at 2 y.o he’s still just a kid! Dogs that age need lots of run / playtime - I’ve had 2 Goldens and took each one hiking in the hills or to the beach for a good run every day rain or shine.

I don’t want a dog ‘walker’ - that won’t do my new boy any good - he needs to run! Another consideration is I’m real wary of strange dogs, especially PitBulls. I had to pepper spray big dogs 3 different times that jumped on ‘my boys’, which is why I don’t want a female taking out my new dog. I want someone as capable, determined and belligerent as I am when it comes to protecting my ‘best friend.’ I live in a very safe area, but there are dangerous dogs and stupid dog owners everywhere.

Question: How can I find someone who can take my new dog out every day, make sure he gets good exercise, and protect him at all times?

·
Super Moderator
2,527 Posts
I had back surgery recently and will be needing to use a cane for awhile. I’ve been looking for an adult Golden - puppies are too rambunctious.

I have a lead on an 'adult' dog, and I’m trying to figure out how to fit him into my lifestyle. He’s only 2 years old, and still real ‘active’ of course - at 2 y.o he’s still just a kid! Dogs that age need lots of run / playtime - I’ve had 2 Goldens and took each one hiking in the hills or to the beach for a good run every day rain or shine.

I don’t want a dog ‘walker’ - that won’t do my new boy any good - he needs to run! Another consideration is I’m real wary of strange dogs, especially PitBulls. I had to pepper spray big dogs 3 different times that jumped on ‘my boys’, which is why I don’t want a female taking out my new dog. I want someone as capable, determined and belligerent as I am when it comes to protecting my ‘best friend.’ I live in a very safe area, but there are dangerous dogs and stupid dog owners everywhere.

Question: How can I find someone who can take my new dog out every day, make sure he gets good exercise, and protect him at all times?
Maybe groomers, vets, boarding kennels, or trainers will have some names of such folks in your area? Worst they can say is they don’t.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Know of any homeschool groups in your area? Sometimes an older teen/dog lover might be available and have a flexible schedule. Also college students if there's a school nearby. I worked at a university and there were lots of
students missing being with their family dogs.

·
Registered
Billie
173 Posts
neighborhood sites like nextdoor.com and care.com might be helpful. My daycare for Billie also offers walking/playing with an experienced dog person. Maybe there's a daycare near you that offers the same?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don’t want a female taking out my new dog. I want someone as capable, determined and belligerent as I am
Hahahahaha! Double standard...when a "female" is those things, she's called very unsavory names, but if she isn't those things...well, I'll just fix my pearls, dress and apron, then put on my pumps and toddle back into the kitchen, so I can take the cookies out of the oven, so they'll be ready when my "man" comes in from walking Archie. ROTFL 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
769 Posts
And because I am all those things, as well as intelligent and resourceful, when I was very sick a few months ago and on my own (husby was still in CA), I hired a rover.com walker, who specialized in exercising HER clients. After the 1st hour-long session, she suggested that she would need to pull back for Archie, as he got a block over and had to lay down and rest...that's my "boy" for ya!
Wishes for a speedy recovery on your part.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had spinal surgery a few years ago, “just” a microdiscectomy and laminectomy and i can’t really imagine taking on a new young golden after my surgery. Even now, 4 years post surgery, it’s a lot to constantly bend while taking care of my puppy and my leg and back hurt a lot sometimes. And I’m not doing it on my own. You don’t want to do anything to compromise your surgery. Maybe wait until you’re fully healed or speak with your surgeon about getting a dog and see what they say before you do it. Leaning on a stranger to help raise a rambunctious dog when you’re physically unable seems risky to me but I don’t know. I wouldn’t do it. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
While I am also a helpless female golden owner who would clearly be incapable of walking your dog, I’ll note that in my area there are several adventure type dog walking/day care services. They will take your dog for the day and take them on hikes/adventures. You could look into that…or you could get an older, less active dog, or wait?

·
Registered
178 Posts
If I'm incapable, why are you asking for help?...

Reactions: GOAussies

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for your responses to my post.

Several responses were from people who objected to my reference that the average woman might not be able to handle a big aggressive dog.

Rocky, (my Golden who died last year), and I were walking across a parking lot when a big, black PitBull came out of nowhere and attacked him. I sprayed this deadly dog in the face with the pepper spray I always carry which slowed him down but he was still aggressive. I kicked him, kept spraying him, and would have shot him if I had a gun. The ONLY thing I cared about was protecting Rocky from a big, tough, dangerous dog who might have killed him.

Have you ever seen a picture of a Golden Retriever that had been attacked by a PitBull? I have - not a pretty sight.

Would the average woman have reacted the same way? ?

·
the party's crashing us
4,656 Posts
Dude, you had pepper spray. It's not like you engaged the pit bull in hand-to-hand combat. I can press a button on a little metal canister, too. Get over yourself. You clearly need a much tougher dog than a golden retriever to support your massive ego.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks all for your responses to my post.

Several responses were from people who objected to my reference that the average woman might not be able to handle a big aggressive dog.

Have you ever seen a picture of a Golden Retriever that had been attacked by a PitBull? I have - not a pretty sight.

Would the average woman have reacted the same way? ?
Lol, wow. All this time I had no idea that I should be getting on the internet to find a capable man to handle my dog for me.

·
the party's crashing us
4,656 Posts
Lol, wow. All this time I had no idea that I should be getting on the internet to find a capable man to handle my dog for me.
RIGHT!?!?!? This whole time im like O M G single?????????

1 - 20 of 31 Posts