Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that as a general rule, a dog is half grown at 4 mo. Soo, if Bella is 23# at 15 weeks how big do you GUESS that she will be as an adult. My last dog, who died this past summer, was always at 56# which was manageable. I've never had any dog bigger than that. I just wish I knew what combo Bella is, I am very certain she has golden in her but not the rest. One of her littermates was a brindle color, one was black and white, could it be border collie? Check un my hello thread to see what she looks like,:wave:

·
Registered
16 Posts
i really dont know about the 4month old thing, but ive had a golden at a healthy 70 he was solid muscle tho. A good way to determine how big a pup will be is the size of their paws.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
I have heard that as a general rule, a dog is half grown at 4 mo. Soo, if Bella is 23# at 15 weeks how big do you GUESS that she will be as an adult. My last dog, who died this past summer, was always at 56# which was manageable. I've never had any dog bigger than that. I just wish I knew what combo Bella is, I am very certain she has golden in her but not the rest. One of her littermates was a brindle color, one was black and white, could it be border collie? Check un my hello thread to see what she looks like,:wave:
I think it's hard to guess when you don't know what she's mixed with. Are you worried that she might end up really big, or just curious?

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I am worried about both----a big dog for us is kinda scary---we have a lot of grands that I don't want knocked over---and we travel,,,some places will not allow o big dog. I have never had anything over 56#. This is a female so I'm thinking maybe she won't be a big as a male. And I am curious.

·
Banned
11 Posts
You might be looking at about 60-70 lbs. Don't hold me to that, It's been a long time since my dog was that small. I just remember him being 11 lbs at 9 wks.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GRANDS is short for GRANDchildren. There are 7 under 11 years old the youngest being 11mo.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
He weighed 40.2 pounds on his 5 month birthday. He was 27.4 at 15 weeks, if that helps.

Ohhhhhh, grandchildren :) I was thinking you were talking about some sort of knickknacks. Just teach Bella not to jump on them. We had a 70 pound lab that we got before we had kids and there were no knocking-down incidences that I can recall--and she was a pretty energenic pooch! And if there happens to be a toddler-dog collision... well, toddlers fall all the time on their own... I don't think it's that big of a worry :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
There is absolutely no way of knowing how big a puppy will get. I have heard of people looking at the paws and saying WOW, look at those HUGE paws...he/she will be BIG....not true :) I owned a bitch that had such huge feet...GOD were they big and she was only 22" tall...well within the standard. Also our Jesse was the smallest pupy in the litter and I thought for sure he would be a small male...not so. He is 24" and 80lbs (muscle that is). I have tried to guess by the size of the dogs in the pedigree...again not a good way. Genetics is very unpredictable. Of course you will love your puppy no matter what...so just enjoy :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Goldens are great with kids, as puppies they can be a little wild but they are extrememly careful around kids (at least mine have always been)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
My girl shy weighs about 60-63 lbs, and 10 months old, shes just about 21-22 inches to the shoulder. Shes not overweight or under weight. She has nice lean muscle:) She is also heavier set in bone structure then the rest of her litter mates. Everyone thinks shes a he, because of that.
I don't think she will get much taller. When do they stop growing? I am thinking she may reach the 22.5 inches to the shoulder when shes full grown. Its been a few weeks since I measured her height, so she may already be there.. its hard for me to tell because I see her all the time.

Shy weighed 10 lbs @ 7 weeks, 24lbs @ 12 weeks, and 30.9 lbs @ 16 weeks, I hope that helps:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts