Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently gotten a golden retriever puppy! He’s my first one, and I would like opinions on how big he will get.
I work at a doggy daycare- which is where I fell in love with goldens- and see all different sizes and weights of golden retrievers. Same for all the responses I get on here. My Moose was the heaviest of a 1/2 English and 1/2 American GR litter. Coming in at 13.2 pounds at 7.5 weeks. Hes 13 weeks now, and is a whopping 31 pounds. We were having some problems eating, it lasted a good week and a half, and he thinned out some-
I think he stopped liking his kibble, and would only eat chicken breasts (I know it’s not the best option, but I was desperate to have him eat something). And we’re just now getting him back on a regular eating schedule- He eats 3 times a day with 1 cup each meal!

Sorry if that’s a lot of pictures and a lot of rambling- I just love my big fluffy hunk of fine!

Would love to hear some predictions of his full grown weight!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hey, he’s a cutey.
Confirmation Golden’s are heavier set than field Golden’s. But I’m not aware than confirmation English Golden’s are heavier set than confirmation US Golden’s. But more knowledgeable, such as the ethical breeders, people on the forum will know better than me.

We adopted Teddy, pure bred confirmation golden (we live in the UK) at 18 months old a year ago. Then he was 37kg so 80lbs. But vet said he would fill out with a bit more muscle over the next 6 months and he definitely has. But I confess I haven’t weighed him since. But I keep an eye on his waist line to make sure he still has the correct healthy shape. Tucked in at the hips.

But I take him every 3 months to an ethical golden retriever breeder, judge, groomer who says he’s finished filling out and is in perfect condition, not overweight.

I’d hazard a guess that with the extra muscle he might be 39kg/86lbs now.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
The weights of the parents are typically the best guess to what your puppy's adult weight will be. My girl's mom is right at the top of the weight range for girls (approx 65 lbs). Lana was a HUGE puppy and she filled out to be about 65 lbs. Sometimes a little over other times a little under, depends on what's going on in her life. My Molly is the opposite. She's the smallest of her litter (she just broke 40 lbs at like 4.5 months old where some of her litter mates are already in the 50s) but I am anticipating her to be around the same 65 lb mark as her sister and mom. But we'll see.

It's a fine line between restricting food to encourage slow growth and overly restricting (same as being over liberal with calories). Please remember that puppies take extra calories and apply them straight to growing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, he’s a cutey.
Confirmation Golden’s are heavier set than field Golden’s. But I’m not aware than confirmation English Golden’s are heavier set than confirmation US Golden’s. But more knowledgeable, such as the ethical breeders, people on the forum will know better than me.

We adopted Teddy, pure bred confirmation golden (we live in the UK) at 18 months old a year ago. Then he was 37kg so 80lbs. But vet said he would fill out with a bit more muscle over the next 6 months and he definitely has. But I confess I haven’t weighed him since. But I keep an eye on his waist line to make sure he still has the correct healthy shape. Tucked in at the hips.

But I take him every 3 months to an ethical golden retriever breeder, judge, groomer who says he’s finished filling out and is in perfect condition, not overweight.

I’d hazard a guess that with the extra muscle he might be 39kg/86lbs now.
Teddy sounds like a big boy haha. My boss just put in a guess of 85-90 pounds for my Moose
This may not be a popular comment, but the first photo shows a pup that is a bit on a chunky side,
You may want to check further in to "healthy growth" weight, for a pup that age.
He is definitely a chunky puppy! My boss says that his pictures do him no justice, and that he’s even bigger in person...
But I took him to the vet not even a week ago, and they said that he was fine and was just a big boy. I don’t overly feed him and try my best to make sure he’s getting enough calories- but not too much. He does go to play at a doggy daycare nearly everyday (and he plays HARD with the big dogs). Plus he gets exercise at home.
Does this mean I should cut down his food? I would hate to do that, but I will do whatever I can to make sure he’s a healthy boy!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Maybe think about the substance of what you are feeding him rather than quality.
I admit I haven’t had the guts 🤣 to try a raw food diet.
But recently we changed a high quality wet food (1/2 a tin as whole is too much) and a scoop of large breed, all natural grain free kibble; to a different brand of high quality all natural grain free wet food (complete meal) that comes in trays that are a better portion size for Teddy. And easier for us.

So he gets one tray in the morning and 1 at approx 4-5pm. I’ve noticed since cutting out the kibble Teddy’s waist is a fraction slimmer.

He gets a carrot or some other vegetable or fruit (always check dog suitable) at lunchtime. And a meaty chew eg pig ears, fish skin wrap, venison chew when we have our dinner. But not overly large ones. Probably smaller than recommended for his breed size. But I don’t want him getting fat.

But he’s a fully grown adult and he gets minimum 2 hours more like closer to 3 hours of walking a day. Most of that is off lead so he can run around. He plays with other suitable known dogs when we are out. We also probably play at least once if not twice a day in the garden with him for 10 minutes sometimes 20. With a tug toy or fetch or hide and seek. So I think his calorie intake is good for a dog exercised as much as him.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,934 Posts
First, you've been feeding him too much. At 13 weeks he may have caught up to it, but eventually you'll have to cut back. 3 cups a day is a lot. More than most adults get. I'm currently feeding my 7-month old puppies 3 cups a day. I'm feeding most of my adults 2 cups a day, except for the ones who are in active competition training, and they get more because they are so active.

Second, his genetics are going to determine his adult weight (and whether or not he's fat). How fast he gets there will be determined by how much you feed him. Slower growth is better. Fast growth increases the risks of certain orthopedic problems, including hip dysplasia and panosteitis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.