Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says: how big was (or is) your pup at 6 months? :)

Baxter gained on average about 2-4lbs per week up until about the 5-6th month. Now his growth seems to have slowed down, and he's currently about 49-50lbs.

I'm just wondering where he is on the size scale. He seems very lean to us (and the vet keeps telling us so) but I am curious to see where he stacks up compared to other pups his age.

Edit: I guess I didn't realize that he is almost 7 months old! Yikes!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
there is a golden puppy growth chart you can find online if you google it.

your guy sounds normal to me--not huge but within normal range.

Tucker did the same thing--grew furiously the few few months and then tapered off. It's what our vet said he'd probably do. I think it's kind of fun to watch them grow and try to guess how big they'll be. Kind of like a surprise package...!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Here is a growth chart I've seen several times mentioned on here before Golden Retriever Puppy Growth Charts According to this it looks like Baxter is right on target. I think Bentley was about 48 pounds at 6 months. His growing definitely slowed a bit at that point. Now at 8 1/2 months he is 60 pounds.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the chart, Bentley's Mom!

I am glad to see that he's right in the middle :) I am going to keep the chart to see how he progresses along the way. The vet's always been telling us he is skinny, but we've never measured his height. I am interested now to see how his height and weight compare.

·
Chloe's Mom
168 Posts
Geez, my Chloe is fat. She is going to be 7 months old tomorrow and weights 58 pounds. The vet keeps telling me she is lean. Hmmm... hope he's right. lol:crossfing

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
At 8 months, Beamer is about 55lbs, so it sounds about right. I think Beamer was around 45-50lbs at that time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Griffey is almost 7 months and weights about 45 lbs. He looks really lean too and people look at us like we don't feed our dog but in reality he eats like a cow! I think he might be on the smaller side when he's full grown (maybe 70 lbs). I'm looking forward to seeing how big he gets!

·
Registered
618 Posts
We're in the same boat as you. JJ will be 6-months next Monday and we keep saying to ourselves that it looked like he stopped growing and that it doesn't look like his body fits his big paws. I'm not sure how tall he is, but he's around 44-45lbs. He, too, was putting on about 2-4lbs a week. Our vet also says he looks lean and that we can feed him more then we do (1 cup 3 times a day, plus another 1/3 during training). Maybe it's cause we see him all the time we think he's not growing, I dunno. The dog walking service we use has 3 walkers who alternate. The lady who came today hadn't been here in about a week and the first thing she said was, "JJ, it looks like you doubled in size since last time."

You can find some recent photos of JJ in the picture section of the forum if you're interested in comparing his size to your guy.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank weighed 50 lbs. at 6 months.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ozzy is around 8 months and is only about 55 pounds. He's pretty lean though and when I see him next to other Goldens he is certainly pretty standard in height, if not taller. I assume he will continue to fill out and gain weight but he has hardly gained at all the last month or two.

·
Registered
926 Posts
My now 4.5 year old male was 30lbs at 6 months old.
He has been between 58lbs and 60lbs since he was 1 year old and is currenlty 59lb.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Our Murphy was 26.5kgs (58lbs) when we weighed him the other day. He's a big boy, not fat, but he was the biggest in his litter so we're guessing he's gonna be a big boy once he's finished all his growing, god knows his feet need to be grown into hahah! Just measured how tall he is and he's 57cm (22inches) at the shoulder when he's standing.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
Cooper is 6 Months old on the 4th of Dec I weight him last Sunday and he was a little over 50 lbs.
I can't see his ribs (which was always a problem with Bogart my skinny butt boy) but I can feel them very easly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well...i thought Bentley was normal....he is 6 months and weighs between 65-70 lbs. He isn't fat....starting to fill out a bit. Everyone keeps telling us how big he is going to be...I guess I just didn't see it until I looked at everyone's posts.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Maisie saw the vet for her last booster shots last week at 22 weeks (so just over 5 months). She weighed 42 pounds -- but she'd gained 10 pounds in the prior 3 weeks! Her vet said the important thing to remember is that a puppy's weight gain isn't linear. (In the prior two three week periods she'd gained 7 pounds, then 6 pounds.) And, he also said, it's most important how "fit" the pup looks. She's from English/European lines rather than American, so is stockier. He said she's just fine for now and is likely to slow her weight gain. (I hope so!) Her parents both weighed 75 pounds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts