Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
I agree Daisy does not look bad. When Max was 90 pounds my vet girlfriend gave me a lecture to watch her weight, Max is VERY fluffy, and looks fat, and I said "how can she be fat when she eats MAYBE 3 cups of food a week?" Max went through a phase that lasted YEARS where she had no interest in food. We were at my girlfriends farm and after the dog exam we went out to let the dogs swim in her pond. When Max got out of the water my friend turned to me and said "you are right, it is fluff, she is SKINNY".

You know like we tell ourselves all the time, muscle weighs more than fat, but in our dogs we are probably telling the truth. :p:

To all the members that post regularly. Please include height when you post your answers to weight questions. because if a dog weighs 70 pounds, there is a big difference between a 23" tall dog and a 27 " tall dog. In such a case one dog might be overweight and the other may be underweight.

So, that said... here is my answer

Tasha

70 pounds
23" at the shoulder
Her girth is 35" + 2 = extra large
4 years this April.
And she has an incredibly thick coat
Shes gotten a little roly poly and does needs to drop a few pounds.

Bob (Tasha's pup)

80 pounds
27" at the shoulder
His girth is 32.5 inches + 2 = Large
Bob is 18 months old so he is still maturing into his adult frame.
His coat is much linger and much thinner.
Because of his height is about the right weight thin.

With all that information, do you need me to tell you which is Bob and which is Tash in the photo?

Attachments

Brady was a BIG puppy, the biggest in two litters we saw at the breeder. But, I think this was due to his own litter was only 4 pups, so they all got fed well. He's 17 months and about 77 pounds, which I think is on the smaller side for a male. He may grow a bit more, who knows?

He's 17 months and about 77 pounds, which I think is on the smaller side for a male. He may grow a bit more, who knows?

77lbs is actually on the larger end for a male. The standard is 65-75lbs for a male Golden. Of course there are many many below and above the standard that are at a perfectly fine weight for their height.

26 inches? I guess that would be measured to her head?
My younger male is 8 months old, 22 inches (in shoulder) and 79 pounds, 4 year old doggy ( he has b-day today :) ) is 23.2 inches and 88 pounds. 5.5 years old lady is 21.7 inches tall and weights 68 pounds.
Usually measure height to the top of the shoulder, not the head.

Our big boy Elliot is 28 inches at the shoulder and weighs 82 lbs. He is tall and lanky and puts his paws on my shoulders.

Jim

My girls are both 5 1/2 years old, spayed. Maggie weighs 65 lbs and is fairly thin. Penny is 73 and needs to get down to 70. She's a little shorter and much bigger boned. Don't know heights.

I have varying sizes.

Maggie is the smallest, a field Golden and is 21.5" at the withers and weighs about 53 lbs.

Sasha is the oldest, from field lines, is about 24" at the withers and weighs 65 lbs.

Lucy is from show lines, is 22.5" at the withers and weighs 68ish lbs. (She's much too heavy and is dieting)

Ray is a big boy but needs to lose weight. He has stomach problems however, so it's not easy with him. He's 27" at the withers and weighs about 100 lbs.

Amos has huge bones, is 26.5" at the withers and weighs about 87 lbs.

Chandler is slender. He is 24.5" at the withers and weighs 65 lbs.

Benny is also slender. He is 24" at the withers and weighs 63 lbs.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.