Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How big is YOUR adult Golden Retriever?

3K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  amy22 
#1 ·
Here is my 5 1/2 month old baby girl: (I don't have very many videos of her updated size :) SHE GROWS SO FAST :) so these will have to do.) (My oversized mini schnauzer is in there too.)

http://s401.photobucket.com/albums/...e Dog Leash/?action=view&current=MOV01734.flv

http://s401.photobucket.com/albums/pp99/AngelLeah1981/Grace/?action=view&current=MOV01727.flv

http://s401.photobucket.com/albums/pp99/AngelLeah1981/Grace/?action=view&current=MOV01720.flv

I want to order this seatbelt:
http://www.petedge.com/Guardian-Gear-Car-Harness-ZW628.pro

Is there any way to guess if I will need a Large or Xtra Large for when she is an adult? She has a harness that I can use for now but I'd like to get the size she will need so I'll have the right size harness for later. I don't know if it is even possible to guess at the weight or girth but I was thinking maybe you all could tell me your dog's size and age for comparison and if anyone knows their dog's girth that would be great too! Thanks so much!
Leah (we gotta be safe in the car)

Her current girth is 26 inches plus the 2 that you're supposed to add (see below) so that's 28 total and she weighs somewhere around 50-55 lbs. ...but since there is only 8 inches left with the Large then would you suggest I get a Xtra Large? I've never had a dog this big and her huge growth spurts is very new to me. ha ha. :) and also I don't really know when she'll stop growing.

Sizing guide: Measure pet’s girth around the broadest part of the chest and add 2". If the measurement is between sizes or if the pet has a stouter build, select the next size up for a proper fit.
X-Small fits girths 7"-16"
Small/Medium fits girths 12"-28"
Large fits girths 28"-36"
X-Large fits girths 32"-44

See less See more
#3 ·
Tango- 56 lbs-little flibbertygibbet is a medium dog, mostly
Finn 70 lbs is a large dog
Tally 68 lbs, though his huge coat/heavier bone makes him look bigger than Finn- large dog

#7 ·
For me:
small is:under 30 pds
medium under 60pds
large over 80pds
giant over 110pds
My golden is 6O pds for 23 in and I consider her,a medium size dog!.
My male Hovawart is 90 pds for 26 in and I consider him,a large dog!.

#12 ·
How tall is Miles. He's the size of a human, lol.

#14 ·
Wow, everyone is saying smaller lbs than what I thought. Grace weighed 45-50 lbs before her last growth spirt and she's only 5 1/2 months old. Wonder if that means she going to weigh around 80-90.... or maybe she's done the majority of her growth?

Mine's as healthy as an ox too. Can you believe she ate a salad today?...well, actually stole it while I was out of the room... I have never in my life heard of a dog eating lettuce! lol lol !

Bock, how old is Tysen? My goodness Maggie looks like Grace's Twin. How old is she? Which one weighs 83?

122 !!!? ha ha. Can I see more pics of Miles? I didn't even know they got that big. WOW :D :) The bigger the better I say but I do feed VERY expensive all natural food. :eek: ha ha. j/k

Are there anymore pics of Gunner and Selka? They are soooo purdy. :)

Thanks you guys!
Leah

#17 ·
All my girls are very big!!! Maxine as a pup at 6 weeks weighed 12 lbs!!! My girlfriend who was our vet was SHOCKED at her size when she first saw her. I would say in her prime Max stands about 23" tall and was 80-90 pounds. She is now in the mid 60 pound range. When she was at her heaviest, she did not eat so she was NOT fat. Just very muscular.

Teddi's first AKC measurement she was 24" tall, but she is SKINNY, because her issues we don't let her get over 60 pounds.

And then there is Belle my lab. I call her my ginormous mutant dog. Every one who sees her says "he is the biggest lab I have ever seen". Then I say it is a female. She stands 27" tall, and weighs 85 lbs. I get asked all the time if we spayed her early. No she was tall before we spayed her. At 4 months she TOWERED over dogs (her same breed) 6 months of age and older. When she was a puppy DH and I started to be concerned about what we had. She would sleep, wake up, stretch and I SWEAR we would watch her legs lengthen.

For our next dog (golden and lab) we want "normal" or slightly small. We have had enough of monsters even though they are wonderful monsters.

#18 ·
Max's Mom, My Sam was 27" tall. He was my first Golden and intro to the Breed. I thought they were all just like him, obviously I knew nothing at the time. He topped out at 103 lbs and it never looked heavy on his frame. When he passed, he weighed 85 lbs and was very skinny. Ike's a normal 24" at the shoulder. I call him my 'Little Guy.' Compared to Sam, he is. :)

#21 ·
I agree Daisy does not look bad. When Max was 90 pounds my vet girlfriend gave me a lecture to watch her weight, Max is VERY fluffy, and looks fat, and I said "how can she be fat when she eats MAYBE 3 cups of food a week?" Max went through a phase that lasted YEARS where she had no interest in food. We were at my girlfriends farm and after the dog exam we went out to let the dogs swim in her pond. When Max got out of the water my friend turned to me and said "you are right, it is fluff, she is SKINNY".

You know like we tell ourselves all the time, muscle weighs more than fat, but in our dogs we are probably telling the truth. :p:

#22 ·
To all the members that post regularly. Please include height when you post your answers to weight questions. because if a dog weighs 70 pounds, there is a big difference between a 23" tall dog and a 27 " tall dog. In such a case one dog might be overweight and the other may be underweight.

So, that said... here is my answer

Tasha

70 pounds
23" at the shoulder
Her girth is 35" + 2 = extra large
4 years this April.
And she has an incredibly thick coat
Shes gotten a little roly poly and does needs to drop a few pounds.

Bob (Tasha's pup)

80 pounds
27" at the shoulder
His girth is 32.5 inches + 2 = Large
Bob is 18 months old so he is still maturing into his adult frame.
His coat is much linger and much thinner.
Because of his height is about the right weight thin.

With all that information, do you need me to tell you which is Bob and which is Tash in the photo?

Attachments

#25 ·
He's 17 months and about 77 pounds, which I think is on the smaller side for a male. He may grow a bit more, who knows?

77lbs is actually on the larger end for a male. The standard is 65-75lbs for a male Golden. Of course there are many many below and above the standard that are at a perfectly fine weight for their height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.