Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the experienced GR breeders and owners out there. Our new little guy Tucker is 14 weeks old and weighs 30 lean pounds. We're feeding him 2.5 to 3 cups of puppy food a day and there is no extra weight on him.

I looked at a GR puppy growth chart on the web and he seems to be about 30% larger than average. His mom and dad were normal sized, but his uncle (on mom's side) is over a hundred pounds.

Any guesses on how large our boy will be? Everyone who lays eyes on him says, "Boy he's going to be big!"

:--crazy:

·
Kristy
10,359 Posts
Won't tell you anything until you post the Tucker's pictures :--big_grin:

Gotta have those puppy photos :)

I think he sounds just fine, I bet he'll be 80 pounds. Just be sure you're not over feeding him when he's completed his growing phase. I'm sure your vet will give you good direction on this.

·
Registered
618 Posts
A male golden should not be over 85lbs. Even if they are big boned or tall.

Anything over 80lbs is pushing it.
Interesting. I never knew this. So is a male golden that's say 95-100lbs considered overweight and unhealthy?

My little guy has some big paws and a lot of skin to grow into. I always said I believed he was going to be at least 100lbs. Evidently, that wouldn't be a good thing, huh?

OP: Sorry, don't me to hijack your thread. Just trying to learn :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
My dogs dad and grandpa were both well over 100lbs, my dog is about 90. I figured due to genetics, that it was normal. You can feel his ribs, he's just larrrrge (taller and longer than your standard Golden)

He's from a BYB.

·
Kate
22,844 Posts
I always thought weight was based on height and muscle mass, and that if you can feel his rids, he's not overweight, whether he's 80lbs or 100lbs.
No... it's based on visual as well.

You should be able to look at your dog from the side and see a tuck behind the ribs. And you should be able to look at your dog from overhead and see an actual waist.

You should be able to feel your dog's ribs as you run a hand down the back.

·
Registered
618 Posts
No... it's based on visual as well.

You should be able to look at your dog from the side and see a tuck behind the ribs. And you should be able to look at your dog from overhead and see an actual waist.

You should be able to feel your dog's ribs as you run a hand down the back.
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't necessarily think all Goldens over 80 pounds are obese. They are just not standard. Our dogs dad was a LEAN 80 pounds. If a dog is taller than standard then he might be heavier than standard too.

I think it IS hard to predict size though. Ozzy was the biggest in his litter and we were constantly told he'd be big but now on the charts he's very average.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
trying to upload pictures of Tucker...

New to this site and having troubles! :mad:

Hope this works.

Fyi, his uncle is not obese, just huge. He's about 110 lbs. and very tall, lean and muscular. He pulls boats in from shore with rope in his mouth.

I used the paper clip and attached picture, then uploaded. But it didn't take. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
110 pounds for a golden is WAY out of standard. I hope they did not breed him. But as you said, 110 pounds on a dog that is very tall and long may not be obese. On a golden that is within the standard size for golden retrievers, 110 lbs would be morbidly obese.

I love huge dogs (great danes, bullmastiffs, newfies) - it's a shame they don't live very long. :(

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Do you have the pictures on your computer? If you do, click the "go advanced" button under the message box. Then scroll down and look for a button titled "manage attachments." Click on that and it should be fairly self-explanatory from there. Can't wait to see the little guy! :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
picture is on profile

I haven't been able to upload pictures to a message, but I just checked my profile and the picture there is public. He's a gorgeous boy--everyone says so LOL! He has a cowlick/ridge down his nose.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts