Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to assess Boomer's dimensions and cannot seem to find the answers. I am looking for data and how to extrapolate the data into final dog size? Perhaps more curiosity than a requirement as obviously 'what will be will be', but I'm tired of the comment . . . oh, he has big paws he's gonna be a monster. Boomer is 8 months old JUN 30 and seems about average, whatever average really is?

HOW IS LENGTH MEASURED? TIP OF NOSE TO TIP OF TAIL? Likely not, but how would the AKC measure length?
DOG HEIGHT? Where is it measured
Can any measurements vs. age forecast dog size at maturity?

Are any other measurements pertinent e.g. length of front leg? Seems Boomer has all of a sudden gotten taller and is looking more mature? Feathers filling in? Any objective data appreciated.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
AKC would not measure length. Height in a Golden is measured standing at the withers, where the neck meets the shoulders. Best way to guess it to know his sire height and his dam's sire's height.
Some lines mature faster, some slower so there's not really any objective way to guess other than what the line matures at size wise. You want your boy to be between 23-24 inches at the withers when he is mature.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for both replies; parent info not available (easily) but at least I can not have something else to at least reference. At almost 8 months it's a moving target trying to measure. I'll make a measuring 'stick' and try that, but seems he's about 21-22 inches at the withers. Also, seems as if he's grown a lot in the last month, but then again, not sure. This of course is all academic as he's not a show dog and regardless of his final size, his stats unimportant.

A question about growth though as obviously (maybe not so obviously) it's not linear and should I expect any significant growth at this point, or is he about done? Age, 8 months at JUN 30. He's somewhat overweight and have dropped his Royal Canin Puppy to only two cups per day, he gets good exercise. And, maybe consider changing the mix to adult soon?

Thanks for all your assistance.

SORRY FOR THE GROWTH RATE QUESTION, AGAIN. IT WAS ANSWERED IN THE PREVIOUS REPLIES SO PLEASE DISREGARD.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boomer 8 months in a few days; I've measured him as best I can at the withers and he's about 22 inches. I don't know if there's any pattern to growth, i.e. do they spurt, most of growth already 'done', etc. Any comments appreciated? Not looking for bigger nor smaller, just wondering?

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
They all grow at different rates- some lines are very slow to mature and others are adult size at 6 months... at 8 months he is on the larger end of normal I would say- but as long as he's not getting fat and he's happy, and you are happy, that's all good. He does not sound small or too big either...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts