Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hold my right hand in front: sit and stay
I point down: lay down
Spin my right index finger around: roll over
Hover my right hand over the top: play dead
Hold my right palm out and up: shake

Curious as to what you got your Goldens trained to do, and any tips or tricks for new owners. ;)

BTW, milk bones do wonders for a training aid.

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
I think if you are starting off - always pair the verbal command and the hand signal for what you want your dog to do. Make the hand signals highly visible and be consistent with what signal means what.

Over time as your dog becomes very reliable at changing position on command, you can start to test with just the hand signal.

:)

Right Hand raised straight up over my head = Down Signal
Right Hand straight to the side = Sit Signal
Right Hand swept across toward my chest = Come Signal

First three fingers of the right hand pinched together = Stand Signal

Finger pointed at my dog's head = Sit pretty (beg/sitting up)
Finger pointed at my dog's head and swept upward = Pretty Dance (my guy standing up on his back feet and holding the position)

Right hand swept down = My other down signal

Right hand swept to the right side = Dog goes around me and sits in heel position.
Left hand swept to the left side = Dog jumps/pivots into heel position sit.

Right hand offered with palm pointing upward = Shake or paw (very gently)
Right hand held to the side with the palm facing my dog = Slap! My guy literally HITS my hand with his paw.

Both hands swept upwards = Permission to jump up.

Oh,

Right hand held in front of my dog's nose = Stay
Left hand held in front of my dog's nose = Wait

^^^ That's it. :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Here are a few for distance.

Come is my hand/arm sweeping over my head and down. This helps if the dog is out of hearing range.

Down is my arm extended out in front and palm towards the ground in a downward motion. Again for distance.

Sit is my arm in front and palm toward me, elbow bent bring palm toward my chest.

those are the only ones I can remember right now...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot, arm stretched out: jump up

·
Registered
608 Posts
We have very similar hand signals to you wildbill. One other one we have is "speak". My hand signal for that is hold your right hand outstretched, palm upwards and fingers outstretched and cupped upwards, like you're holding in your palm a large orb. We're still working on "quiet", which usually follows our "speak" and that is the signal you'd give to indicate zipping your mouth i.e. index finger and thumb pinched together and drawn horizontally across the front of your mouth.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Casey became hard of hearing as he got older. Knowing hand signals was a blessing as if he could not hear me, he knew what I was asking him to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts