Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So most of you know that my husband and I just got relocated from Hawaii to Whidbey Island, Washington. We had our 2 golden boys and my 5 year old cat in Hawaii (in military housing) and we had no problems. We had a heck of a time (financially and physically lol) getting these pets on the plane and here with us. I am not complaining about any of that, just giving backstory. :)

What sucks is, we just moved into our housing here ( military housing) and it's managed by the same company as was in Hawaii, but they only allow 2 pets! Hawaii didn't really care since the cat was outdoors most of the time anyway and we took really good care of the house, yard etc...

Here, I went as far up the "chain of command" as I could and got the same answer! NO more than 2 pets. Indoor/outdoor doesn't matter...I can only have 2 pets. I can't seperate the dogs... but that means I have to give up my kitty??

She was my first baby and got me through some tough deployments. She was my companion when I was a newlywed and my husband was gone for 7 months! She came with us when we moved to Hawaii and had to endure 3 months of "rabies quarantine" and still stayed the same sweet baby that she is...How can I just give her up!? I don't have the heart to take her to a shelter. Everyone wants kittens and she is by no stretch of the imagination a kitten. I want to find a friend or family member who will take her, but no luck so far... :(

I guess I am posting this to ask if by any chance, would anyone on this forum know anyone in my area (my area meaning a day or drive or less) who would be willing to take her? I'd happily take her back when we get out of housing, but that won't be for 3 years at least, unless we buy a house...:no:

I know it's a SUPER long shot, but I just wanted to ask and post her picture. I love her so much and I don't have a choice! If we keep her in secret and she is "discovered" Heath could lose his security clearance, or even his job and we would for sure lose the privledge to ever live is military housing again.

I love my pets and don't want to give out the impression that I am just another dumb girl who considers pets "disposable". I am far from that, and have done everything I can to keep my family with me... anyway, sorry to ramble. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
She looks almost exactly like our black Maine ****, Abby. We would gladly hang onto her for you if we were closer. I hope you are able to work something out.

·
Premium Member
18,600 Posts
Could you check with some of those organizations that take care of pets for military who get deployed? Maybe they can help find a good home.

I'm so sorry this is happening!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Aw hunny I feel your pain, I really do. I know if there were any other option you would jump at the chance...

I really wish I could help.

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
I live in Georgia and would be happy to keep the cat for you till your are able to take her back. If you don't find any better options and can find a way to get her here you can PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
She looks just like my solid black Maine **** Princess!

Maybe you can contact some council for the aging to see if maybe some elderly person needs a companion.

I feel so bad for you! Don't know what I would do in that situation.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the good ideas everyone. I'd rather not give her to an organization...Maybe thats me being silly but Id like to be able to meet whoever she goes with so I can email to ask how she is adjusting and see pictures every once in awhile.

I have been trying to find an elderly person who needs a companion. Baby would be so great for that! My grandma (in Oregon) had a few ladies in mind and is doing what she can there, but no promises.

I told my husband I'd be willing to buy a house so we could keep her, but he didn't seem to think that was a financially wise decision...*sigh* I know he's right...but she is MY cat...I hate this!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Thanks for the good ideas everyone. I'd rather not give her to an organization...Maybe thats me being silly but Id like to be able to meet whoever she goes with so I can email to ask how she is adjusting and see pictures every once in awhile.

I have been trying to find an elderly person who needs a companion. Baby would be so great for that! My grandma (in Oregon) had a few ladies in mind and is doing what she can there, but no promises.

I told my husband I'd be willing to buy a house so we could keep her, but he didn't seem to think that was a financially wise decision...*sigh* I know he's right...but she is MY cat...I hate this!
You might actually be able to get a good deal on a mortgage through a government loan program for people in the military. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Maybe you should go to the officers club...talk to the wives. Maybe a neighbor is willing to take her in for you. And do they really count? I'd check around your new place ad make a cat friend. Ask if you can kep her with you until you find a good home.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
That is so sad...Im so sorry, I hope that you can find a good home or you figure ot a way to keep her.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe you should go to the officers club...talk to the wives. Maybe a neighbor is willing to take her in for you. And do they really count? I'd check around your new place ad make a cat friend. Ask if you can kep her with you until you find a good home.

We live in the "sticks" and don't have neighboors! Honestly! We are in government quarters, but not in a "housing area" ...just a bunch of trees and berries. There is no wives group with my husbands job and I am a bit wary of military families anyway. I would pay every penny of what I have to bring her anywhere with me...I don't know that I can trust another family to do the same... That's probably a really negative attitude but I can't help it!

I did look into buying a house and hubby just wont budge. I can see his point though. We are military, with the market as it is now I don't know if we would be able to sell it if we moved and I have no experience with rental properties at all. I am trying to look into a preapproval and interest rates and all that hoopla just to get an idea at what we would be looking at monthly for a house payment... The taxes here are so high though! OUr monthly payment plus the taxes is twice what we are alloted for "housing"...Id have to quit school and work two jobs and hope that was enough. I just can't see that right now, maybe in a year or so...

Sorry to ramble again...It's just so frustrating! I even asked if we could keep her until I found her a GREAT home and the leasing company said no more than 10 days...10 days?! How am I supposed to do that!?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kitty has a home!!

My great aunt, who lives in Florence Oregon, (on the coast) is going to take my cat for me!! She is a cat lover and has just recently lost her 19 year old cat. Baby will be so well taken care of! I don't think it is possible for her to have a better home! Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers!!

I have to call the housing office and find out if I have to take her asap (its an 8 hour drive one way, but my aunt said she would meet us halfway whenever we needed her to) or if we can just take her with us when we go up for Thanksgiving...I doubt they will let us wait, but what could it hurt to ask.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm sorry you have to let her go, but glad to hear she has a great place to go and will still be family

·
Registered
26 Posts
aw sorry:( Did you tell them you had three pets? I know it's kind of shady but I am the type that would do it anyway and ask for forgiveness (or play dumb later). We somehow never got around to registering ours at Ft Knox once...

·
8,164 Posts
I am so happy for you and your Kitty and your Great Aunt (she sure is a GREAT Aunt!) I am sorry that you have to give her away, but at least you know that she is going to a good home and thats is so important....Im just really sorry that you even have to do this. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Great Aunt even said she would be willing to give her back if and when we could take her again! Heath and I are seriously considering buying a house if he makes the switch from enlisted to officer. (we would be here for more than 3 years if that was the case)

I can't find a job here in the animal field (not even pet stores are hiring!) so I am going to do in home daycare again until school starts in a year. Maybe paying off student loans will be more incentive to hubby to buy a house! ;)

·
8,164 Posts
Thats wonderful news aobut your Great Aunt! Wow that must be a load off your mind. Well good luck to you in all the changes that are going on right now for you!!

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
That's great news. I have been thinking about you today and trying to think of a solution. I still can't believe they will not allow you to keep your kitty. I am glad your aunt is taking her and you will be able to see her. Good luck with your job and looking for a house.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts