Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mia
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 11 month old female that came to us 2 weeks ago from a breeders home. She had been raised for show, but the breeder decided to keep moving forward with her sister, not her.

She arrived "sort of" house trained. That is, she would be fine if kept in a close environment and watched, but was not reliable if given free reign. We have been working hard with her to make her feel comfortable and secure (she is crated at night and when we are out) and are getting her lots of exercise and plenty of attention from the kids.

My question is how long should we expect her to go without needing to go out during the day? She has no problem making it the night in her crate. However, during the day, she seems to start being restless and needing to go out about every hour. She has had a three pee accidents all a result of her providing signals of needing to go out, but me not believing she would need to because of the short time interval between her last pee.

She does not drink water to excess and is good at giving us indicators of her need to go out. I have also taught her to go on command and she does that just fine. I had thought that by 11 months dogs were pretty much in adult-hood in terms of control, but she seems to need these regular trips out.

What have your experiences been and what should I expect at this age?

Thanks!

·
Mia
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be a bit off about the hour, but I do know she can easily go 8-9 hours in her crate a night and does not complain at all. If she had a UTI, I suspect I would hear about it at night!

My guess is that she just likes to go outside and is enjoying having the opportunity to do so. I just don't want to let her have more of the house and and let her have the opportunity to make a mistake.

I guess I should monitor the time more closely and see what she really is doing. What feels like a "reasonable" interval for an 11 month old in this case?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.