Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how do they catch on to the fact that they are to go outside and not inside?

We are using a crate for Duffy (he is 9.5 weeks old). When we take him out of the crate, we take him right outside. Treats and praise - he usually pees and/or poops immediately.

We take him outside after every nap, after eating, after playing, all the right moves on our part, I'm sure. And every time he goes out, he goes right to his 'pee place' and relieves himself.

However, there are times when he goes into the kitchen for a drink and later on we will see a pee puddle in there. He is a stealth pee'er - he doesn't do it in front of us, will usually escape to the kitchen for a second and does the deed.

He is not unsupervised, he is with us in the living room when we are watching tv in the evening, etc., but has the freedom to get water. Now it doesn't happen every single time he goes in there, but just occasionally.

However, I have no doubt that if we were not vigilant in taking him outside every hour, he would have no problem peeing inside.

My question is - how long before they finally realize that they are NOT to do their business in the house. And how do they learn this? I never scold him when I find the puddle, I understand that unless we catch him in the act it is pointless to scold him. So what will make him catch on? Or is this just something that will finally happen??

And (not that I'm impatient), but at about what age?

THanks for encouragement or advice.

Kris

PS - we just decided to do the bell training - hung some bells alongside the back door and we jingle them when we say 'want to go out?' and before we open the door, but he seems afraid of the sound and backs up!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It does sound like you are on the right track. Puppies vary in how quick they "get it". Keep doing what you are doing with the early and often peeing outside with lots and lots of praise every time he does the right thing. Most pups get the hang of things within a couple of weeks of coming home.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
He is still tiny. We had accidents from time to time for over a month and then sometimes, he'd regress and one day we'd have more than one accident. My friends puppy was the same way so maybe that's just the nature of the beast? The only thing you can do is make sure you're taking your puppy out often enough. At that age I had to take Max out every 1 to 1 1/2.

·
Debbie
644 Posts

However, I have no doubt that if we were not vigilant in taking him outside every hour, he would have no problem peeing inside.

QUOTE]

I think you need to take him out more. We took Riley out about every 20 minutes or so. We would tell her to "Go Potty" and when she did we would praise her and give her a treat (a very tiny piece of a Wellness snack...can't make the treat too big cause you're giving lots of them). It took a few weeks. Some dogs get it quicker than others. Riley was probably between 12 and 14 weeks when she could go longer (maybe every hour) and we could be a little less vigilant about keeping an eye on her constantly. We had baby gates up so that it was easier to keep an eye on her. Good luck!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! I won't try to expect too much, although I sure would be pleased with that two week time frame.

Just an idea, too - for the potty praise treats, I just give him a couple pieces of his dog food kibble. Since he is always hungry, he is verrrry happy to have these and I don't worry about him having too many treats then.

I carry them in my pockets all them time - when I do my laundry, I'm emptying out kibble, kibble, kibble!

Kris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts