Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo that is very big and spacious. The only problem is that it has no back yard since its a high rise condo. We will move in about a week and a half. We got our puppy about 3 weeks ago. He is going to be 10 weeks old tomorrow. We were using the puppy pads at first. He used them here and there, or he would go but miss the pad by an inch. We got him the pet loo you can see it at: thepetloo.com We got him the biggest one. WE barely got this 3 days ago. In the 3 weeks we have had him I have gotten him to learn that when I put him on his potty and say "go pee" he pees on command now with the new potty system we got him.

Both me and my husband work 9 - 5 jobs so during the day we cant take him out either so we figured this system is perfect for him to pee on. While we go to work, we lock him with a baby gate in a bathroom (once we move in our guest bathroom will be his area while we are gone lots of space for him in there). This bathroom is also where his potty system will be permanently.

My concern is he goes pee on command when i put him there, and when he goes we tell him good boy and get excited and give him a treat (although i taught him to sit so he sits and thinks he gets a treat for sitting after he pees). The problem is I constantly show him where his pee place is at and take him there every 30 minutes, yet he still pees and poops everywhere in the house. When i catch him in the beggining ill say no and grab him and take him to finish peeing in his potty. But when its to late i ignore that he peed on the carpet and dont tell him anything and just clean up.

Am I doing something wrong ? I have had him for 3 weeks and he still doesn't go pee where he is suposed to. Even when i leave him locked in the bathroom, he pees on his potty sometimes and on the bathroom floor as well.

Any suggestions would really be appreciative. We are moving into our new condo and wouldnt want the new carpet to get peed and pooped everywhere ! Please help !

Attachments

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Do you have a crate? I can't imagine raising a puppy without one. If he has access to too big of an area, he is going to find a spot to relieve himself. It's inevitable. If he is just baby gated in a room, then he has too much room and there are going to be accidents. I would immediately stop encouarging him to use the bathroom in the house. Put him in his crate while you are at work. Are you or your husband able to go home during a lunch break to take him outside? If not, do you have a friend or family member who would be willing to do this? I highly recommend crate training. It's the fastest and easiest way to housebreak a puppy.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I second the above opinion. We were getting all high and mighty because Jack had never peed in his crate or laundry room daytime area (a crate within a penned area - room for some play, food and water). So on saturday I decided he could be trusted in a larger penned area since he's grown a bit. Wrong. He peed in the corner away from his toys, water and crate and then took a nap. I put it back to its original size and he heasn't done it again. Too much room and they make a potty area in the corner.

You can try what we do and make a penned area within your bathroom with his potty system in there with him. (Ours is in the laundry room but we don't have pee pads or anything in the house - he gets taken out during the day by a pet sitter.) You can also probably save your cabinets, door and baseboards from those little teeth by doing this. We ordered the exercise pen online but I've seen them at all the pet stores. Ours is attached on either side to our baby gate to make for easy access to him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts