Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

What is the best thing to put over your carpet in your puppy's playpen area when they are unsupervised during the day? (They would be in the crate at night when I'm there) I know a lot of people spread newspapers over the floor, but are those not absorbant enough? I don't want the pee to bleed through into my carpet. Also, I'm unsure of using training pads that are "attractive" because I don't want the puppy feeling like it is ok to pee in the house when the whole point of housebreaking them is so they will learn to only pee outside.

So, newspapers and "training pads" from petsmart are all I know of. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are training pads actually the best thing to put in his play pet until he is housebroken?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
134 Posts
What I did with Sam when housebreaking him,we would put newspaper on the floor,and put 1 of the pee pads under the news paper. I didn't like using them either because he might think it was ok to go in the house but it worked out fine with us. But in his crate he just had his blanket with him,and I just took him out every 3 hours at night to make sure he didn't go in his crate.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
It sounds like you're about to leave the puppy outside the crate during daytime, when you are not at home? I'm not sure that is wise, unless you are absolutely sure the area is completely puppy proofed! Will you have a young puppy? If you are away during the day, can't someone come in and take him out for a bit to relieve himself and play with him? That way the housebreaking will be easier,too, because he will have to go outside all the time, instead of going in the house when you are not there and outside when you are...

·
Registered
547 Posts
What I did with Ori, -because I personally can't do the whole crate-training thing- is that when I was home, I left the backdoor open for him to go in and out. If I was to be out in the daytime, or for some of the evening (very rare for me, though) I would leave him outside. Provided he has water outside, and he has enough stimulating toys where he can't get into too much trouble. (flower beds, digging under gates from seperation anxiety) He should be ok.

Or, what I tried earlier on in Ori's earlier puppy days, was taking him outside ever half an hour whilst home, and treat him when he goes. If you're not home, have you looked into a dog door that magnetically locks from the inside? Meaning your pupper can get out whenever he wants, and you can lock it during times when you're not home. I installed one of those for Ori now and it works fantastically. Secure from the outside, puppy safe inside!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I heard the pee pads work really well. The best way to potty train a puppy is to take them out often. I took Bailey outside potty at least every hour, if not sooner when she first came home.

Sometimes I would put a towel in her crate, if I were leaving to go shopping or something like that and would wash the towel. I didn't leave often though and potty training only took about a month to master.

Good luck.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would use a room without carpet, like the kitchen or bathroom, with an xpen to keep them safe IF I ever had to leave them in something other than a crate. For every dog I've raised they've been crated from day one, sometimes a long day here and there but usually they've all been fine after the first week at most. There's usually someone I can get to let them out for a pee break if needed, and they've all learned to sleep through the night quickly too.

Lana

1 - 6 of 6 Posts