Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 14-week golden puppy and am having some problems housebreaking her. I adopted her about a month ago and am crate training. She doesn't have any accidents in her crate and she is in there during the day for 3-4 hours at a time before she's let out for a bathroom break (I live in an apartment with a courtyard which is where she's taken out). It's in the evening (when I get home) that the accidents usually occur. I let her out of her crate so she can get some exercise inside but it's during this time that she pees/poops in the house. I've been told she should stay in her crate day and night and only be taken out a few times for walks, but I feel like she would be too cooped up needs more exercise than that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, at this age, how much exercise does she really need?

thanks!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Set her up for success- take her out as soon as you take her out of the crate. Take her for a potty break 15 minutes after each meal and after play sessions. It's perfectly fine to have her out of the crate while your home- as long as she's supervised. If you have to, attach a leash to your belt loop so you can always keep an eye on her. Remember to take her out frequently so she can be successful and catch on! Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It takes time, but she will get there. I totally agree with setting her up for success. Puppies that young need to be taken out very shortly after eating, drinking, waking up, and playing. Right after you let her out of the crate, take her outside. Give her enough time outside to do her business. I would take her out on a leash and tell her "go potty" and then praise her like crazy when she does. If she doesn't go while she's outside, the she goes right back in her crate. Take her back outside 10-15 minutes later and try again. If she still doesn't go, then it's back in the crate again. She will eventually understand that you want her to go to the bathroom outside. As they get older and grow bigger, they start being able to hold it for longer periods of time and don't need to be taken out quite so much.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I only kept Hank crated when we weren't home, busy in an area of the house with carpet or at night. During the time he was not crated I took him out every 20 minutes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
After 2 weeks, Josie was trained about 75% of the time, but I just couldn't get over that last hump. So I started using a clicker and treat every time she peed outside. (I don't clicker train for anything else at the moment - I just tried it out for this problem.) It worked like a charm!!!! Within a day, she had it figured out, and I think she only had one accident after that. Try it - a clicker only costs about $1.50 at the pet store. Might work for you like it did for me!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts