Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My puppy, Woody, was born 11/4/18. He is almost 12 weeks and already 22 lbs! I am having a bad day today, though. He has been so good in the crate during the day and, especially, at night. He has peed in the crate a couple times because I didn't realize that his yelping was 'really serious' and it totally breaks my heart. Today, it happened twice. I pledged I would believe the yelping and get him out ASAP, but he had not been in there very long and I thought it was because I was out of sight. Next things I knew, poor boy was sitting in his pee. I burst out in tears. I feel I am regressing on the house breaking. Thanks for 'listening'.

Thanks!
Jenny & Woody

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Relax! First, he's only 12 weeks old and he's not going to be fully housebroken for at least another two months and probably three. Right now he doesn't have full control over the muscles that control elimination, so accidents are inevitable. And second, peeing in his crate isn't going to have any lasting consequences. It happens. It's no big deal.

Enjoy your pup!

·
Registered
272 Posts
You need a bell!

Agreed! It's not the end of the world...:smile2:

One thing we did to house train River was to tie a bell to the door used to let him go outside. Each time he went to the bathroom in the house, we took him to the door and range the bell with his paw, and then took him outside. Within two weeks he was completely house trained. I promise this works very well. Each dog is different, but a Golden so has the desire to please. Once he catches on to ringing the bell to go outside, both of you will be happy campers.

BTW, make sure the bell is tied low enough that he can reach it without having to get up on his hind legs. In time, you'll be laughing and not crying as he rings the bell and then looks at you...:grin2:

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Agree. Accidents will happen. Make sure he goes potty before you put him in his crate and take him out to potty as soon as you take him out of the crate.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
We also found having a bell on the door really helped. Hang in there, he'll get it. If he keeps having accidents in the crate without being in for very long or it seems like he's regressing have him checked for a UTI.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,127 Posts
Keep in mind that pups will drink enough water at meals to fill the bladder 2 if not 3 times or so. That means they will likely need to go out maybe every 20-30 min 2 or 3 times after meals or you run the risk of accidents. So a lot of people think, well I just took them out why are they going again!? So after meals make sure you take them out a few times. This will really help cut down on the accidents.

·
Debbie624
382 Posts
Agreed! It's not the end of the world...:smile2:

One thing we did to house train River was to tie a bell to the door used to let him go outside. Each time he went to the bathroom in the house, we took him to the door and range the bell with his paw, and then took him outside. Within two weeks he was completely house trained. I promise this works very well. Each dog is different, but a Golden so has the desire to please. Once he catches on to ringing the bell to go outside, both of you will be happy campers.

BTW, make sure the bell is tied low enough that he can reach it without having to get up on his hind legs. In time, you'll be laughing and not crying as he rings the bell and then looks at you...:grin2:
Totally true! We trained our Callie with a bell bc she didn't bark. It worked great. She actually was great at potty training and I honestly don't remember ever a time she had an accident in the house. She trained very quickly. That bell however became her newest charm prop. She'd carry it around the house bc she knew she was cute. That behavior stuck with her her entire life, even when we took the bell down, she would nudge the towel holder in the kitchen (as if the bell) to get my attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Everyone, thank you SO much for taking the time to respond and give me some encouragement! Good to know I need to relax and that it could take him up to 4+ months to really get the hang of it. He loved the bell I had previously hung on the door so much, he tugged at it and then ran all around the house with it! I took it down. Maybe I will try it again now that he is a little older!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts