Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I have a few questions to ask before I adopt a 14 month old golden retriever.

- Is it possible to crate train him from scratch? I understand he had some basic training, but not crate training. It is crucial he learns to stay put when inside for a few hours. How long can he be taught to stay in a crate? (4-6 hours would be ideal).

If it's not possible (perhaps he is too large now), any alternatives on how to achieve this goal without a crate?

- Is it possible to housebreak the dog at such an age and get accustomed to our household and lifestyle?

If they were possible - will it be too difficult? or at least more difficult to achieve than for a puppy?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My suggestions are in BOLD
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I have a few questions to ask before I adopt a 14 month old golden retriever.

- Is it possible to crate train him from scratch? I understand he had some basic training, but not crate training. It is crucial he learns to stay put when inside for a few hours. How long can he be taught to stay in a crate? (4-6 hours would be ideal).
Unless he's prone to distroying things he doesn't need to be crated. He could be gated in a safe area instead if you don't want him to have full access to the house.

If it's not possible (perhaps he is too large now), any alternatives on how to achieve this goal without a crate?
See above.

- Is it possible to housebreak the dog at such an age and get accustomed to our household and lifestyle?
Unless he's accustom to toileting in the house, he'll probably want to go outdoors. Adult dogs can easily become a member of a new family.
If they were possible - will it be too difficult? or at least more difficult to achieve than for a puppy?
See above.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts