Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been one week since we picked up Bailey and I'm starting to feel beaten down by the potty training progress (or lack of). Anyone have advice other than just stick with it? We are following all of the guidelines. Out frequently, lots of praise, in crate when we can't watch etc. Despite our efforts she will be playing one second and she'll squat and finish the next. Almost too fast to interupt her and could be after having been out 10 min ago. I'd guess that she's had at least two to three accidents per day.

Please. Starting to lose hope. Not looking forward to this for the next couple months.

When will she start to know that inside is her BIG crate?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi there,
First of all, don't lose despair. I wrote a looonng post similar to yours probably a couple of weeks ago (I'm sure there is a way to look it up). I was in total and complete despair- I spent weeks doing every thing "right" as far as potty training, and Annie still was having accidents.

Then, I did the one thing I never really did before: I set the timer on the stove and took her out every half hour to go. In other words, I put her on a strict schedule. Then, a few days later, I set it for 45 minutes. Finally, I had it set at an hour. It worked! I think my issue was taking her out way too often- I kept taking her out many times every hour. I also started leaving her in her crate for a couple hour stretch during the day (to do errands, etc) and I think that helped to train her bladder muscles as well.

I also made sure she was in the crate any time "I" (wish I could capitalize this more) wasn't there. I just don't think the kids or friends watched her the way I did.

Finally, at my vet's suggestion, I bell-trained her. I swore I never would do it, but I was at the desperation point. Ten days later, she finally rings the bell to let me know she has to go out.

To summarize, having her on a strict schedule helped train her to go on a schedule, and the bell helped her have a way to let me know she has to go out.

Good luck! It will happen!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Hang in there. It takes weeks to a couple months to potty train a puppy. One thing that really saved my sanity was a hoover steam rug cleaner. I would be lost without it. I was taking Bailey outside potty every hour for the first month and she still had accidents. It took her time to realize that Bailey needed to do her business outside and outside only. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
In the beginning it is more how well you are trained. Just as soon as you give them a few seconds alone, there they go.
We just got our second puppy a little over a week ago. I often go out more often than 30 minutes depending on what he is doing. Obviously 1st thing out of crate. Right after eating. Even after about 10 minutes of a good play. Mine goes or at least squats to go everytime I go out.
His poops I about have timed. Much better now that I changed is food after coming home. If he doesn't poop, but I don't want to put him back in the cage I will tether him with a collar & leash to my arm or foot. If I can't be paying attention for even a few minutes he goes in the crate. He actually went to the door today & when I took him out he pooped.

If you see her put her nose to the ground even for an instant, outside. If she does squat yell "no, go potty outside & scoop her up to go outside, even if she doesn't finish. I use 2 different sayings also . "Go potty" for #1 and "Do your business" for #2. It is nice if you are in a hurry for them to go.
Hang in there. It will come.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Don't dispair. A week is a short time to accomplish a lifetime goal. Just this week Hank turned the corner on this issue (he was 3 m.o. on Tues.). We got him at 5 1/2 weeks so it seemed like an eternity! He is now allowed out of the kitchen while we're home. The weather has been mild so I'm able to leave the patio door cracked to he can go outside at will. When I'm not home he's gated in the laundry room at night he's crated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
when i got bella, she was in my room most of the time and i had newspaper on the floor, so she went there at first and i praised her weewees, poopoo, so she would learn the words. after that, i would take her out as soon as she woke up and after eating and every 30 mins in between. she was really good,she was trained within a month, but i was with her all day so i was able to watch her constantly and she only had about 3-4 accidents during her training period

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Just want to add: It's not uncommon for a young puppy to "go" outside and then come back in and "go" again in a few mins. At a young age, they don't really have the bladder control to squeeze it all out at once sometimes.

Management, supervision, anticipating her needs.... and patience! :)

The lifetime goal of housetraining takes several months to fully accomplish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, it's been one week since we picked up Bailey and I'm starting to feel beaten down by the potty training progress (or lack of). Anyone have advice other than just stick with it? We are following all of the guidelines. Out frequently, lots of praise, in crate when we can't watch etc. Despite our efforts she will be playing one second and she'll squat and finish the next. Almost too fast to interupt her and could be after having been out 10 min ago. I'd guess that she's had at least two to three accidents per day.

Please. Starting to lose hope. Not looking forward to this for the next couple months.

When will she start to know that inside is her BIG crate?
It's so frustrating, I know! But keep up the training and one day soon you'll be amazed when Bailey just goes to the door and starts whining to go out to pee. That's what happened to us. We had a little regression issue after boarding Wyatt when he was about 4.5 months, then all of a sudden a couple days later he was sitting at the door asking to go out. We also have bells on both doors, which he sometimes rings. Our cat learned that trick a long time ago! If he can do it, I'm sure a dog can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts