Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help me since I now VERY frustrated and confused. We are trying to teach our 7 1/2 week old pup to potty in one specific spot in the yard. When he does he gets a treat and praise like he invented pee. SO tonight we go out cause I think it's time and go to the spot. He manages to run about 10 feet out of the "right" area and drops to pee. I pick him, say nothing, move him to the right area and say the elimantion word. Should work fine, he'll finish, get a treat and learn something.

Except he doesn't. He lays down and won't go. Wait several minutes and he eats grass lays around but won't finish and OBVIOSLY he needs to since he just tryed and didn't finish. So we go inside and he goes into a travel kennel to wait a few minutes, he pees in there. It would appear the ONLY place he finds unacceptable is the one spot we want him to do.

He does go in the right spot sometimes so I don't get what the deal is here. I know it probably isn't willfully withholding but I don't know what it is.

Anyone have any insight or help to offer?

Thanks Steve

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Either the leash, or fence off the area you do want him to go in, then take him to that 'yard' and let him wander inside the fence to do his thing. He's a baby still, so I wouldn't expect him to do it perfectly for quite a while.

To 'borrow' on agility training (some methods anyway) you could teach him to go 'in his yard' to pee eventually, then gradually remove or cut the fencing down till it's no longer there (unless there's some natural markers like a sidewalk etc. so it's VERY clear where you do want him to go). If you used chicken wire for example, you could just take wire cutters and 'lower' it a bit each week till it's no longer really a barrier. Hope that makes sense anyway.

Lana

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It will take awhile for the potty training to work, he is a baby. Just keep taking him to the same spot and give him lots of praise when he goes in the right spot Keep the training positive and he will get it in time. The cheering and treats are good.

Good luck!!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
A leash is your friend! And if you interrupt him when he's peeing in the wrong spot, expect it to take a while for him to get back on track. Take him to where you want him to go, wait 5 mins, if nothing, keep him leashed back in the house for 10 mins, go back outside and try again.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
It takes time for them to understand where to go. It took my Bailey 4 weeks to figure it out and she is a smart girl. Some pups take a lot longer to potty train. I would take your pup on a leash, then you have more control where they are doing their business.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.