Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fist time GR owner
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have been working with Holly for about 2 weeks now on getting her house trained. She has done a great job! I am surprised how easy it has been.
But how do I get her to let me know she has to go outside?

As of right now she will just sit in front of the door when she needs to go out. This makes me very excited that she does this, but I only notice her at the door because I am constantly watching her.

She has had some accidents when I was unloading the dishwasher or checking e-mail, etc - and I wasn't watching (i know my bad), and she an accident right at the door-. So, I know she knows she needs to go outside to 'go potty.'

But I don't want to have to always being watching her for the rest of her life. How do I get her to bark, or whine or even scratch to go out?
When she is in her crate she does whine to go out, but never when she is at the door.
:confused:

any suggestions?

·
Registered
128 Posts
hmm...Daisy just seems to whine if we don't see her right away. I know some people have trained using a bell so hopefully they will "chime" in and give you some tips! Good luck!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We use the bells and they work really well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ditto on the bell...it works great! The housetraining was pretty tough for a while, always have to be on the watch. Now that she uses the bell regularly it's soooo nice.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I've tried the bells with Tess, no luck so far...However, she started whining when we had her for about 2 1/2 weeks, and did so consistently from 3 weeks.

·
Fist time GR owner
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips!!
I will try adding a bell and hopefully it will work.
:crossfing:crossfing

·
Registered
58 Posts
My previous golden used to come up and give the most gentle "tug" on my shirt. Not sure how she learned it but it was great. I think we are going to try the bell method as well with our new pup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts