Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maisie, my five-month-old puppy, has been completely accident-free in our large kitchen for several months. (She's never had an accident in her crate.) We introduced her to the rest of the first floor of our house where she had two accidents, but then seemed to "get it" that she should go to the kitchen door and jingle her bells to let us know she needs to go outside. She even had perfect behavior during a small dinner get-together we had with friends in the dining room.

But, a few days later while my husband and I were in the dining room, she went into the adjoining living room and pooped. We should have been watching her more closely -- she clearly isn't ready to range freely, but she didn't give any sign that she needed to go out. So, we took a few steps back, confined her (and us) to the kitchen, then allowed her access to other rooms on the first floor under close supervision, sometimes tethered to one of us, sometimes with one of us watching her by trailing after her. She peed on the dining romm rug, I think because she couldn't get to the kitchen door fast enough. I caught her, said, "No," swooped her up and she finished outside where I praised her and gave her a treat.

I'm planning to re-introduce her to just the dining room (adjacent to the kitchen) under supervision. And then when she's completely solid there, add on the living room, then the family room. Is that the right way to approach this? Is there a better way?

I should add that we're very careful to completely clean up the few accidents she's had using an enzyme cleaner. She's not re-visiting any of the accident spots. Also, although she's 5 months old, she's a bit petite at 35 pounds (if that matters). And, I think she's fairly smart -- she's solid on sit and down, good on come, working on heel, wait and leave it, and has learned to shake paws.

·
Kristy
9,600 Posts
I think you are doing everything right. My current pup is a collie who came to me from an awesome breeder (home raised in doors) at 12 weeks (almost) completely housebroken but I was very careful and kept him confined to our large open kitchen. We had 3 separate incidents where he peed on our living room carpet (those were the only times) when I opened up to play ball, even though I thought I was doing everything right, he had just been out and shouldn't have to 'go', cleaned up previous with enzyme, etc. Sounds pretty similiar to yours. After the 3rd incident, I decided that he just clearly wasn't 100% understanding and I just needed to give him more time. I spent a few more weeks with him confined to the kitchen very strictly and I think we've made it over the hump. He is now 6 months old and I've taken all the fence down to the living room. He still doesn't have full run of the house because I have small kids and too many toys and socks around.

I think it's just maturity and you need to keep up your basics a little bit longer. Hang in there!!! Sounds like you are doing a good job. :)

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I suggest you go back to step one, taking her out very frequently and treating her and praising her when she goes outside. And keeping a very close eye on her inside, for instance having her tethered to you if she is not crated. Probably won't have to do it for long. And be sure any place she has gone is ultra clean with enzyme cleaners or white vinegar and water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts