Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some of those house training bells that go on the door for the dog to ring when they need to go out. Sharlette always digs at the back door when she wants out but I don't always hear her if I am not in the same room. So I decided to get the bells. I didn't expect her to use them right away. In fact I never even showed her how yet when she went and used them for the first time. she used them a bunch of times after so I set up the camera in hopes to catch her using them. here is the video. ENJOY!

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to make my own too but where I live I would have to drive close to an hour just to get to a craft store. Our walmart had bells but they were too small and not load enough. I was about to buy this real cute ribbon to make my own but then I couldn't get the bells I wanted so I went to the dog section of walmart and for 9 bucks they had some pre-made dog door bells so I was like "why not?" LOL

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so so cute!! i tried it with just one small bell attached to a ribbon and she chews it instead:(

try some big jingle bells ( should be easy to find since it is christmas time) and a few of them.

Mine I got isn't poochie bells brand but here is a good close up picture for an example.... The brand I got cost about 5 bucks less and has (2 more sets) 4 more bells then these

here are the exact ones I got
Walmart.com: Out! Housetraining Bells, 1ct: Dogs

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I was going to make my own too but where I live I would have to drive close to an hour just to get to a craft store. Our walmart had bells but they were too small and not load enough. I was about to buy this real cute ribbon to make my own but then I couldn't get the bells I wanted so I went to the dog section of walmart and for 9 bucks they had some pre-made dog door bells so I was like "why not?" LOL
I ahd roughly the same issue but stumbled on the makings of one recently in a fabric store...they had cheap cute dog leashes and were selling large silver bells...so bought it all for about $3...now I just have to put it together!! ;)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Adorable! I tried to teach Gladys to use the bells but she was older by then and didn't quite catch on. Now she knows how to come stare at me and "tell me" when she needs something.

·
Shandy522
57 Posts
We also have bells... for the first few months, Shandy just could not catch on. Then a few weeks ago, she completely got the hang of it! We were so excited!

Now.... now she rings them all night long. Last night I took her out 4 times in 2 hours. Her stomach has been a bit funny so I didn't want to take any chances but once we got outside, she was running around, pulling up grass and doing anything BUT go to the bathroom. Bells definitely have advantages and disadvantages!

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ahd roughly the same issue but stumbled on the makings of one recently in a fabric store...they had cheap cute dog leashes and were selling large silver bells...so bought it all for about $3...now I just have to put it together!! ;)
I wanted to make my own so bad! I am real crafty! I LOVE to sew, crochet, and anything craft related I love to do it so when I saw the "poochie bells" my first though was "wow that will be easy to make" I set out intending on making my own but I was real limited on the supplies I could get, sadly, and settled for a pre made one LOL

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We also have bells... for the first few months, Shandy just could not catch on. Then a few weeks ago, she completely got the hang of it! We were so excited!

Now.... now she rings them all night long. Last night I took her out 4 times in 2 hours. Her stomach has been a bit funny so I didn't want to take any chances but once we got outside, she was running around, pulling up grass and doing anything BUT go to the bathroom. Bells definitely have advantages and disadvantages!
I agree. Sharlette LOVES to be outside but we live real close to the ocean and my yard is real sandy... meaning easy to dig under a fence. So I can't just let her out and leave her out there to play till her little heart is content because she LOVES to dig as well. So I have to go out with her and watch her. I will let her play for a bit but I have human kids INSIDE the house that need me too so I have to chase her around the back yard till I catch her little fast butt and haul her back in the house. LOL but she knows the bells mean "get to go outside" already. AND well.... it sounds like santa is coming...... ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was excited about the bell thing too...until Ozzy decided he wanted to go out every time he was bored. Drove me nuts!

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was excited about the bell thing too...until Ozzy decided he wanted to go out every time he was bored. Drove me nuts!

UHG tell me about it LOL so far she has rang the bells every time she needed to go out and every time she is bored. Like what the heck Sharlette? She has 2 kids and me playing with her ALL day... we aren't enough fun? she needs sand and grass and bugs to play with too? LOL A lot of times I can tell if it is bored or has to go potty judging by when she drank or ate last and when she went out last and actually did something productive out there. so the times she rings them cause she is bored I let her out for a sec ( only because I want her to still associate's the bells with outside) then chase her down and bring her back in and hold her for a while. When she is bigger I wont mind letting her out by her self for a while but right now she can dig under my fence REAL fast and easy. NOT SAFE!

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Oooh the bells, bells, bells... I didn't plan to use them, but my house keys hung on a hook on the door and Maisie accidentally started to jingle them when she needed to go out. So I got some Poochie Bells since they're louder and I could hear them throughout the house. They work great. But... she's learned that when she rings the bells she gets to go out whether or not she needs to potty. So I've been keeping her "false alarm" requests really boring and bringing her in fairly quickly when she wants to go out for just fun. And at the suggestion of our trainer, I'm getting her to focus on me by asking her if she needs to go out before taking her -- now that she's 5 months old. The idea being that soon she'll come to me when she needs to go out wherever she is (even if we're not at home, for example). She's very slowly giving up "playtime" bell ringing.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sharlette seems to be easier to get to come in the house when just wanting to go out to play. I have also started saying "potty?" a bunch of times and the times she seems to only want to go out because she is bored she will walk off after a few times of me asking "potty?" but the times she really needs to go potty she will keep ringing the bells while I stand there and ask. So I think she is starting to learn to only ring them when she really needs to go and not just to play.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Finn started using the bells around 3 months of age and still is using them. We used a set of xmas bells I had and it has worked very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts