Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ETA: i posted this question in training forum, and did not know how to move it - i think potty issues question belong here.

This Thanksgiving I am very thankful we have a puppy once again, but the last few hours have been just super hard. :(

Ocean is 5 months old today. House broken, has an "assigned" spot in the backyard where she goes for #1 and #2 - was very quick to learn it and never goes anywhere else in the yard, let alone the house. We did notice she likes "softer" surface for relieving herself, so going upstairs is only optional after a walk outside (first floor - all hardwoods, upstairs - nice soft fluffy carpet;))

Usually when she is ready to go outside, she goes by the door, and uses her paw to scratch it - we know she is trying to open it, so it's time for a potty break. Today she just walked to the door and....peed inside while looking at me. No other signs or asking to be let out. Just straight pee. I grabbed her (kinda like a dog would grab her pup), opened the door, yelled and told her to go to her usual spot to pee. She looked so scared.... :(

An hour or so later I was click training her a new trick. I used roast beef and cheese cubes - she could do anything for them! While training was going awesome, in the midst of training she squatted and peed in the middle of the room!!! No asking to let her out, no going to the door (we were in the room with her usual doors) - nothing. I started yelling again and made her go outside. She was then scared to come back....

I feel so bad for yelling, and she looks so lonely in her crate now. What is going on? I am so confused. She spends enough time outside, we have 2 young children who love playing with her after school. We both work from home, so she is always home with somebody. What in the world? I never had a female dog before - could she be going into heat and thus the pee issues?

Any advice is appreciated. I think she is scared of me now because I was yelling like a mad woman.. :( How do I deal with that? :no:

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard of a dog going into heat at 5 months--but, sometimes puppy accidents after they've been housetrained can mean a UTI--I would take her to the vet. My last Golden had a few UTI's--I could tell right away something was not right, because she would relieve herself sometimes minutes after the previous accident. And just cowered her head--made me very sad!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I wouldn't make too big of a deal about it, assuming there is no infection. The last one or two times Cookie had accidents in the house were during training sessions. I think they get totally engrossed in learning that they don't realize how badly they have to pee.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My golden girl, Baylee, is 10 but has recurrent urinary infections for years. It sounds like that is one thing to consider with your pup. When Baylee has one of her infections she will just squat anywhere and does so frequently. It is always my first clue that she needs to see a vet. I suggest you get her checked out by a vet and if all seems well in that area go back to the beginning by putting your puppy on a schedule.

Wishing you the best...

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
Please STOP yelling at her, you are only making her afraid of you. She probably has a urinary tract infection (UTI) and has NO control over when she HAS to pee. Have your vet check her for UTI.

Even if she doesn't have a UTI, don't yell at her for accidents. Just go back to basic house training, put her on a potty schedule, take her out more frequently and don't depend on her to tell you she needs out.

5 months is really young to expect them to be completely reliable on house training.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for advice, I don't think she has UTI as it was just those two isolated accidents.

I wouldn't make too big of a deal about it, assuming there is no infection. The last one or two times Cookie had accidents in the house were during training sessions. I think they get totally engrossed in learning that they don't realize how badly they have to pee.
That's exactly what it was, I think. Never happened again, and I noticed that she can hold it for a longer time periods now - she used to potty for just a few seconds, and now (especially in the morning) she goes for a long time :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts