Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
Just a quick question... have you guys ever had hotspots on your goldens? They sometimes look like a bit and can be on the bigger size and there lick a open cut and very itichy? Just wondering because up until my golden was about 3 or 4 she would get at least one hotspot a year. Are vet told us they were common in goldens? If your dog has had one, has it been bad? Did they recover well? I remember there was one Tessa got on her tail and it was bad it was on the underside of the tail and she had to wear a cone because she wouldn't leave it alone, and still today if you gently pull the hair around there she doesn't like it. I think it causes her some pain still. Anyways... just wondering. Let me know.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Hot spots are quite common in goldens. Both of my boys have had them usually after a weekend of lots of swimming. I've used both Gold Bond medicated powder and plain Listerene to treat them. The Listerene is much less messy than the Gold Bond but has to be applied more frequently.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I've never used the listerine but I've always had 100% success with the Gold Bond (extra strength). The trick is to catch them early. Feel your dog all over frequently, with your hands ... know the condition of your dog's skin and pay attention to areas they are licking or itching a lot.

Daisy had a bunch of hot spots when she was much younger, they spread overnight. I was trying everything (tea-tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, lavender) and then I hit on the gold bond powder. She had 5 or 6 around her neck that were spreading up towards her head, they were reallly bad. I used the gold bond and they started improving dramatically within 24 hours. Didn't have to take her to the vet, clip her fur or anything ... just the powder. I'm never without it now.

Daisy's VERY sensitive about her tail too, but she's never had a hotspot there. She's so sensitive that when I brush her tail, if I'm not really careful, she'll express her anal glands ... haha, makes for a great grooming session! :doh:​

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
All three of mine have had them from time to time. Bender hasn't had any for years, she got them more when she was younger and on kibble (ear infections too). Storee and Ticket only seem to get them if I leave a collar on them and they go swimming or it's wet weather and their neck stays wet for too long. Ticket had the worst one, it was when I was very busy with moving and having a baby all in two weeks, totally forgot that we had gone swimming and he had a collar on, and hadn't had much time to do much with him. Went to drop him off for boarding and realized he had a gooey collar on, felt HORRIBLE about it, however where he was boarded (I work there as well) he was started on oral meds right away, had the neck treated twice a day and it cleared up quickly. Now if we go somewhere I make a point of hanging up their collars and leashes afterwards so I know they're naked... and Ticket gets his neck hair thinned out a bit more often. He's a border collie by the way but they get hot spots too!

Lana

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have only had one but it was a doozy, and it got big really fast. I didn't feel comfortable relying on gold bond, etc., because I was not experienced with hot spots so we went to the vet right away. He gave antibiotics and prednisone. In addition I very gently cleansed it w/water and a washcloth twice a day, cleaning all the **** off -- this took some time to do, b/c it was a painful spot. Other than feeling so bad for her, the poor thing, the worst part was keeping her from scratching it. Had to watch her every minute. The good news, though, is that it did heal up fine, at last.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Never had a hot spot on any of my dogs so I am not an expert on getting rid of them. I hear the goldbond works really well since you need to dry them out. A hot spot on the bottom of their tail is problably because it was wet and didn't dry out properly. I find the biggest secret is to not let you dogs stay wet for long. If my dogs swim I blow them dry, if I bath them I blow them dry, if they get wet for any reason I blow them dry. My dogs never just dry out on their own. Invest in a dog dryer it is the best money you will spend.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
MGMF, I've heard about the being wet thing too and I've worried about it. Daisy is always wet in the summer from fishing at the lake. She's scared to death of blow dryers so I never dry her afterwards. But she hasn't had a hot spot in years. I'm confused about this.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Maggie had trouble with hot spots in the early spring when our weather was wet and she still had her winter coat. Sometimes, if I caught it early I could treat it myself but usually she needed meds. I never knew about the Listerine or Gold Bond Powder back then. I tried using those special wipes/pad for hot spots that you can buy at pet stores but didn't have much luck.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Jo Ellen, I do think it is the make up of the dog too. Your dog like mine might not be prone to getting them. It can be a genetic thing just like all the other bad stuff. I do not seem to have allergy problems in my dogs. I just know that staying damp or wet for long periods of time is a factor to the hot spot so I just don't let it happen. My dogs don't mind the dryer. I think they actually like it which helps.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Hudson seems to suffer from them each summer, he is not like Asha who is wet all the time, his seems to be directly related to heat. I trim the hair away from the site and use gold bond power, had to get from US and also Listerine. I cleaned and applied 3 times a day and managed to keep it under controll without going to the vet. Good luck with your dogs hot spots, they really can make them miserable.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
MGMF, I've heard about the being wet thing too and I've worried about it. Daisy is always wet in the summer from fishing at the lake. She's scared to death of blow dryers so I never dry her afterwards. But she hasn't had a hot spot in years. I'm confused about this.
It can totally depend on the dog, allergies, food, what kind of water the dog is in (swampy stinky water is going to be worse than a clean lake). It's not so much the being wet alone as the wet with bacteria growing that's the issue. I've seen hot spots due to a different shampoo, collar being left on, food issues and even just playing hard with other dogs (and that was a lab - figured she got scraped and with being goobered on so much...). Even dogs living in the same house doing all the same things, one will get hot spots and the other one won't.... in that case the dog who gets them is a hairy boy with tons of coat and he gets them on his cheeks, so now we have started stripping his cheek hair out a bit and making sure it's always combed out when he sheds...

Lana

·
Registered
205 Posts
My girls have had problems with hot spots - Karma especially - she has a very large scab on the back of her ear - I think from itching with her back foot so I clipped around it and put some gold bond medicated cream, then later when that dried, powder but she has several smaller ones and they are not getting any better so I may have to get some antibiotics from the vet. She gets them all the time and right now their skin is dry and they lick and scratch - it's like the "Itchy and Scratchy" show only I feel so bad for them.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Tucker has had his share of hot spots, they can get out of control real quick if not caught early enough. I have always trimmed back the hair, cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and use gold bond powder to keep it dry. Some real bad ones he had to go on Prednisone to clear them up. I tried what seems like every kind on antibiotic cream also, but it would make him would jump out of his skin, strange with something so mild. I finally tried Sulfodene (yellow liquid) and was apprehensive because of the strong smell, but surprisingly he didn't flinch when I applied it. I swear by the stuff, it's worked wonders for him.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
The first two years, Brady had his share of hot spots. The last was the worst, his full chest and neck needed to be shaved. I swear it had grown within 24 hours!

That week I changed his food to Wellness Core. We are now going on 15 months of no hot spots or ear infections. Not sure if this is what helped, or if we are just more careful about his collar getting wet or a combination.

I do remember when I took Brady for his first hot spot, the vet said "Welcome to the joys of owning a Golden Retriever."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts