Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm hoping someone can help! While checking Leo for ticks found a hot spot behind his ear :( His hair had matted a little so I cut the matted part out and cleaned it as much as I could. I took him to the vet about a month ago for an ear infection that turned out to be food allergy related. He has been on Purina PP SSS for the past couple of weeks. I don't know how long this hot spot has been there but I'm guessing the past week since I brush him very regularly and check for ticks every hike. How can I treat this? Could this be food related too? My vet told me that it could take a couple of months for the food to start working well the way its supposed to? Has anybody had this issue before and have it take a while for the food to "work"? Should I take him to the vet again to get this treated? Attached is an image of what it looked like. After cleaning it up it was very red and irritated. He also is scratching constantly. Hoping someone can help :( Makes me sad that he might be in discomfort.

Also does anybody have any grooming tips to prevent matting? I brush fairly regularly but with starting swimming im seeing a change in his fur.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
It probably had only been there a day or so - they spread and get worse really quickly if not treated. Try trimming the fur around it - it needs air to heal, and lots of people swear by Goldbond powder. If you go the vet, they will give you an antiseptic soap to clean the area with for several days, but the key is getting some air on it to dry it out. That's also what you want to make sure to do now that he is swimming - dry him carefully, don't let him sit around damp, especially in humid conditions. It's more likely that this is what caused it rather than a food allergy.

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,196 Posts
The hot spot doesn't look too bad yet, but it can get out of control and really nasty very quickly. I would call your Vet clinic, they will probably want you to bring your boy in.

I keep a bottle of Vetericyn on hand, my Vet clinic recommends it and also uses it. It's great for minor scrapes, cuts, and hot spots.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of the responses!

Update: I called the vet this morning and I am taking him in tomorrow to have them look at it. They said it is most likely all the swimming that he has been doing. What are some tips to make sure he dries off. Leo HATES dryers ever since he was a puppy. Blow drying is such a hassle he basically shakes and hides his head and tries to get away. Usually when I bathe him I do as much as he lets me and until his body is mostly dry. But for swimming how can make sure hes dry enough so this doesn't happen again?

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses!

Update: I called the vet this morning and I am taking him in tomorrow to have them look at it. They said it is most likely all the swimming that he has been doing. What are some tips to make sure he dries off. Leo HATES dryers ever since he was a puppy. Blow drying is such a hassle he basically shakes and hides his head and tries to get away. Usually when I bathe him I do as much as he lets me and until his body is mostly dry. But for swimming how can make sure hes dry enough so this doesn't happen again?

Towel him off really well, like with 2-3 towels. If it is dry out, let him air dry the rest - but if it is humid, don't. Get him as dry as possible and bring him inside. You can get him used to blow drying - start at his rear end, at a low speed, very calm, and let him lick treats or peanut butter at the same time. Many dogs are totally fine about all drying except around their face and ears, so just do the whole body and towel around the ears. Pay special attention to the underside and armpits, under the legs, etc. anywhere that will stay damp when they are lying down.

Reactions: Mde13004

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much! I will try that next time. I tried to do treats before but Leo would not even look at them.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Try the old brown original listerine, then gold bond powder. It works wonders!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Everyone thanks so much for all the advice! Took Leo to the Vet and turns out his hot spot was a lot worse than I thought. The vet shaved him and realized it was bigger than suspected. Heres a pic. We are home now and he is on antibiotics and has a steroid cream for it. Trying to keep him from scratching. The vet didnt want to put a cone on him becuase of the potential moisture it can cause :(. hoping this goes away fast but as always leo is such a good happy dog and doesnt seem to be in any discomfort :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
Keeping it dry is the key to getting it to heal. Poor guy. These spots show up out of nowhere and get bigger right in front of your eyes. I'm glad you went to the vet.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Wow. I'm glad you took him to the vet. BTW, I love the pic of him on the vet's table, what a smile!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Oh poor guy, my boy had a really bad one last year in the same spot. I sent you a private message. Hope his heals quickly! I hate hotspots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had a very similar issue a few months ago caused by the same thing; an ear infection that he was scratching at constantly. We went to the vet as you did, and got antibiotics and spray. Something that we did that I think really helped, is we put his cone on him (from when he was neutered) at night and when we were not home to keep him from scratching at it and let it heal properly.

·
Registered
272 Posts
When we lived in the south, our previous Golden, River, would get hot spots if the groomer didn't use a shampoo for sensitive skin. From our past experience, rinsing thoroughly after shampooing regardless of the shampoo used, and drying well are the keys to avoiding, especially in a hot humid climate. Before we learned about shampoo for sensitive skin and stressing to the groomer to rinse him thoroughly, River would sometimes get two or three hot spots during the summer months. One time, I remember inspecting a hot spot on him when a huge batch of his fur came right off in my hand exposing a big bloody raw spot. :surprise: It was a scary thing to experience. The good news is that with an antibiotic, they do heal quickly and the fur grows back as though it never happened.

Just a word of caution. Our vet prescribed a sulfa-based antibiotic which in the fine print stated that sulfa-based antibiotics can attack the tear ducts in dogs. Though this is a rare occurrence, it happened to River. OMG! This then became a whole different issue. In essence, the antibiotic attacked his tear ducts causing him to have no tears at all. His eyes became red and it was obvious he was in pain. He was blinking his eyes constantly as though he had something in his eyes. I used a garden hose to gently rinse his eyes as soon as I noticed his condition and instinctively discontinued the antibiotic a few days prior. Washing his eyes out didn't help...In reality, his eyes had no tears to lubricate them, thus his eyelids became like sandpaper.

Our vet felt terrible about it. She was totally honest with me about how and why his conditioned occurred. The medication she prescribed was a common antibiotic for hot spots and other infections used by vets. Sorry, I can't recall the name other than it was a sulfa-based antibiotic. Note: I'm not trying to scare you here...Just keep a close watch for any reactions to any medication and stop using as soon as you sense something may be wrong.

This does have a positive ending...The vet informed me that River's condition was irreversible, and in time he would go blind. :surprise: However, the vet referred us to a pharmacy who specialized in making compound medications, which are meds made from scratch for specific conditions like River was experiencing. We administered the medication along with eye drops to create artificial tears to River multiple times per day and night. In time, River made an amazing recovery. The vet did a tear test on him which revealed his tear ducts had fully recovered and were producing tears at the proper levels. Whew! What a scare this was, but our dog fully recovered.

After this scary experience, we always asked all vets that treated River to not use any sulfa-based antibiotics on him for any reason. Thankfully, other, more expensive antibiotics are available. Bottom line, always pay attention to the fine print on medications for your dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts