Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Riley has developed a hot spot behind her right ear! I noticed it after she went for an annual vet check-up. At my request, I asked if they could shave behind the ears where they were matted, which they did. After a day or so, I noticed her ear uncontrollable twitching, plus what appeared to wetness behind the ear, plus a smell, in addition to her scratching away at the right ear with her hind leg. First time I have ever had to deal with this in one of my goldens!
Took her to the vet, very unwilling patient, I might add! He has suggested in the past that I medicate her for her visits, I did that for the annual check-up, that was enough, she was so loopy!
My vet gave her a Vetalog steroid injection, plus an Cefpodoxime 200 mg/antibiotic for 10 days. I have to try to wipe it with a clean wet cloth, if she will let me, to help with the oozing!
Just wondering, if the vet may have shaved to close to her skin behind the ear which may have caused the hot spot. Any thoughts? She has never had any ear issues before other than the normal matting behind the ear which I can usually take care of myself.
Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Probably. It sounds like they shaved too close. Seems like a vet would know to use something to stop the skin from being irritated afterwards if they are shaving down to the skin. It would have been better to use a de-tangler, comb, and de-matting tool. You need to hold the hair at the base, so it doesn't hurt. It would have taken more time, but been less irritating to her skin.

I hope she heals up soon.

Edit: I've not heard of using a wet cloth on a hot spot before. It seems keeping it dry would be optimal.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
I keep a bottle of Vetericyn on hand for minor cuts, scrapes, wounds, etc.
It also works on hot spots.

My Vet clinic uses it and recommended it.
I bought my first bottle at the Clinic but have since ordered it through Amazon. Other online Retailers carry it and you may be able to find it at some pet stores in your area.

They also make a Hot spot gel-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts