Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the toughest time of the year to get in some training time. With air temperatures in the 90s (hey Ms. Alaska, is it true that it hit 90 up there?), water temperature not much cooler than the air, and humidity pushing the "feels like" temp to >100, even morning training is short-lived.
Here in the mid-south, we start training at 6:00 - 6:30 and wrap up at 9:00-ish; but even at those times, we seek out shade to park our vehicles in.
I run fans to try to keep the hottest air out of the dogs' boxes and, of course, ensure that they have water available at all times.
Does anyone have a great, original idea as to how to keep the mutts cool?

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I'm still working the now-out-of-derby dogs on more complicated marking set ups, retired guns, and teaching them about running blinds ... it's a long road to get from derbies to all-age, but it's fun. Seeing the "light come on" when they learn a concept keeps me going; however, many days or weeks can go by between the lights, unlike when they were younger.

Marking concepts are coming along well; retired guns are occasionally an issue, with the dogs giving me that "where the heck did he go" look at times. A couple "issues" that I'm dealing with on blinds are (Dog 1) slow and loopy sits on whistles and (Dog 2) a strong preference to turn to the right when given a left back (but the dog is fine with left overs and left angle backs). Oh well, if they did this stuff perfectly every time, there'd be more Field Champions.

Stay cool and keep the A/C working,
FTGoldens

·
the party's crashing us
4,172 Posts
I'm in the same boat here in FL. We've already had like 3 weeks of "feels like" over 100.
The best thing I've found is keeping a towel in a cooler full of icewater, wring it out and put it in the bottom of the crate, and use a fan. You won't believe how cool it stays with evaporative cooling. Once it's ambient temperature just dunk it in the icewater again.

Brix is smack in the middle of double T. If I can put a show golden through double T during the summer in Florida and come out on the other side with a good attitude, I deserve a medal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same here, trying to get ready for a Q in August. Water temp last weekend was 88. Real feel everyday close to 100. Its tough to work on specific concepts that need repeating and its so hot. Our biggie now is she is determined to go outside, outside then middle. Most of the time that is the way it works but that isn't the point. The point is do what I say :) Blinds are coming along, still need precise work, she is a little loopy and likes to turn left on right hand back. That is the fun of it though. I love teaching!
love it!!

·
Jamie
423 Posts
Brix is smack in the middle of double T. If I can put a show golden through double T during the summer in Florida and come out on the other side with a good attitude, I deserve a medal.
OH my gosh yes you do! I'm working on the same concept with Fisher and I've practically given up and am waiting for cooler weather because maintaining his attitude in this heat seems impossible lol!

·
the party's crashing us
4,172 Posts
OH my gosh yes you do! I'm working on the same concept with Fisher and I've practically given up and am waiting for cooler weather because maintaining his attitude in this heat seems impossible lol!
I would consider doing the same but our "cooler weather" won't show up until November. My dog just wouldn't get trained. So we're going for it. I gotta say Brix is doing really well and has a good attitude.
He mastered single T really easily. When I backed up and lengthened the back pile the full 100 yards he struggled with locking onto the back pile and going straight, he wanted to head to one of the over piles. He got a lot of teaching and corrections and one day it just clicked. So last week I introduced the closer over piles and it blew his mind, if I sat him at the farther intersection and gave him an over he tried to angle in and go to the closer over pile. I've been doing attrition trying to get him to go to the correct over pile. Yesterday I finally gave him a collar correction -- one -- and guess who was RUNNING HIS BUTT OFF to the correct over pile after that?!! That tells me he was just goofing off before and deserved the correction. It's a fine line knowing or guessing when to do that!
It was 93º at 8:00 p.m. last night when we started :(

·
Jamie
423 Posts
Yesterday I finally gave him a collar correction -- one -- and guess who was RUNNING HIS BUTT OFF to the correct over pile after that?!! That tells me he was just goofing off before and deserved the correction. It's a fine line knowing or guessing when to do that!
It was 93º at 8:00 p.m. last night when we started :(
I think this is half of Fisher's problem, I let him get away with too much.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been doing attrition trying to get him to go to the correct over pile. Yesterday I finally gave him a collar correction -- one -- and guess who was RUNNING HIS BUTT OFF to the correct over pile after that?!! That tells me he was just goofing off before and deserved the correction. It's a fine line knowing or guessing when to do that!
Ha!
Yep, been there, done that!
I call that an "Aqua Velva" moment ... that means something for those of us who are old enough to remember the "Thanks, I needed that" commercial. I think the tag fits it well. It's sort of like, "Hey butthead, pay attention!"
It often works with even low stimulation.
FTGoldens

·
Super Moderator
3,502 Posts
High Temps+Rainy Days=No training

Early morning should be good but very humid until later in the AM.

Headed to New Hampshire, should be cooler plus I have the lakes in the Lake Region.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes George, today real feel of 108, tomorrow real feel of 113 and Sunday 114. We see a little break on Monday. I was going to do some blinds at 6am this morning before work but it was 81 with 88% humidity. Poor dog is mad at me, this am she was sitting by the back of the truck barking wanting to go train. :)

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Feeling like 40-45 Celsius here with the humidity - about 105-115 F I believe. So no field tracking this morning. We went to the pond for a bit of casting and blind work, instead and I can tell you - as I had to walk into the water with sandals on to encourage her go on the blind - that it was like a bath tub. Not sure it provided much relief, but it was the only training option today! We kept it short and sweet and wrapped before 11am.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,423 Posts
lol mid 90's and no humidity is like 75-80 here on the east coast. You have it easy right now. It's 96 here now and the heat index (factors the humidity) has it at 109 degrees right now. Tomorrow will have a heat index of over 115 degrees.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,876 Posts
lol mid 90's and no humidity is like 75-80 here on the east coast. You have it easy right now. It's 96 here now and the heat index (factors the humidity) has it at 109 degrees right now. Tomorrow will have a heat index of over 115 degrees.
105-115 real feel temps is normal for my area this time of the year.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Humidity is NOT for me!

LOL....I grew up in Lower NY and went to college at Univ of Miami Fla!

I remember that humidity very well....Happy to say, I escaped to Nevada over 35 yrs ago..
Last time I visited relatives down there, ..I couldn't breath between the low altitude and the high RH..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lily at a recent hunt test. Mid to upper 80's pretty high humidity.
Silver shade netting, cooling fan with a frozen milk jug in front of the fan.
overall we stayed reasonably comfortable

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
As an avid runner dealing with the heat in NY region, I would like to offer up the tip of just not training the dog if it is that hot. Missing a day or even a week will not set you back that much. Many people fear loosing some conditioning if they miss sometime of training but the fact this if you are in good physical shape and/or your dog has has much training for whatever the event is, you just won't loose much of a competitive edge. Don't stress yourself or the dog over the heat... As the expression goes, just "chill". It's hot outside.

dlm ny country

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts