Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My field trainer is toying with the idea of having an outside field training seminar here on my property, because his hunt club is pretty far from civilization. He asked me how I feel about it.
I'm not sure how I feel about it.
I've already told him NO ONE (no exceptions) is going to be allowed in the pet hotel building, not even to use the bathroom because you have to walk through the boarding area to get to the bathroom, and NO ONE (no exceptions) is going to have access to the fenced in areas.
Does anyone have any comments, or any concerns I should have, about having a seminar here? Because of the business on the property I do carry pretty high liability insurance.
(I'd get paid in the form of free training sessions)
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
If you do... I will come! HHHMMM sounds like a movie......

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, for YOU I would make an exception ;)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
1) Parking?
2) Weather policy?
3) Is it out of the way it won't impact clients coming in/out? (.... most of them won't appreciate seeing birds... maybe if birds are used, do that at the non-client-coming-by-times?
4) Will it be in an area that will not stress out your boarding dogs?
5) Will HE be responsible for liability, paperwork, registrations, etc. Or will you?
6) Get him to write up a contract, no matter how good your relationship is.
7) How far are you from me?

Weve done quite a few seminars at the training building but might work at my place this summer if we need more space for one of them (working dog event). There definitely will be a contract and other things clearly written out.

·
where the tails wag
13,329 Posts
I think you have a wonderful property for something like that, and most seminars have a waiver form that limits liability.You would need to have Port A Potties or something, which should come out of the proceeds, but I think I'd be pretty excited - has he given any inclination about when he's thinking of it?

And okay, selfishly asking here, would he consider non collar conditioned dogs attending ? LOL

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is boarding dogs that might be gun shy if you're using starter pistols, etc.

He stands to make a substantial amount of money if the seminar is successful. I'd want to know exactly how many training sessions for free I'd get. 0-10 participants= 5 sessions; 10-20 participants= 10 sessions....

What ifn something were to happen? Does he have liability insurance, too? It should go through his first and anything overflow should then be sent to yours.... all written down this way of course!

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GREAT list, thanks!

1) Parking?
plenty of parking here
2) Weather policy?
good question. I do have a 2 car garage (remote from the house) that they can use if they want to.
3) Is it out of the way it won't impact clients coming in/out? (.... most of them won't appreciate seeing birds... maybe if birds are used, do that at the non-client-coming-by-times?
The area I have in mind is about 4 or 5 acres behind a big line of evergreen trees, not visible from the pet hotel at all.
4) Will it be in an area that will not stress out your boarding dogs?
Yes, they can't see it at all from where they are
5) Will HE be responsible for liability, paperwork, registrations, etc. Or will you?
He will be, although I do carry a very hefty liability policy, too
6) Get him to write up a contract, no matter how good your relationship is.
EXCELLENT point!
7) How far are you from me?
A few hours....maybe a road trip for you and Ann!

Weve done quite a few seminars at the training building but might work at my place this summer if we need more space for one of them (working dog event). There definitely will be a contract and other things clearly written out.

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's thinking of early to mid-May because our weather is typically really nice, and the cover won't be very long yet in the alfalfa fields.
I think the seminar will be for beginners, so I suspect none of the dogs will be collar conditioned. From what he has told me so far, it seems like it's going to be mostly how to make intro. to field a positive experience for your dog. Basic obedience, how to make them "birdy", and so on.
It does sound like fun, doesn't it?

I think you have a wonderful property for something like that, and most seminars have a waiver form that limits liability.You would need to have Port A Potties or something, which should come out of the proceeds, but I think I'd be pretty excited - has he given any inclination about when he's thinking of it?

And okay, selfishly asking here, would he consider non collar conditioned dogs attending ? LOL

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point about the guns, I will ask him about that. I sort of doubt he'd be using any if it's a "beginner" seminar, because the dogs attending might not have been exposed to gunfire and he would never want to cause one of them to be gunshy. But good question.
I will take as many free training sessions as he will give me! Having worked with him now all last summer, I do trust he will be more than fair when it comes to that.
I will ask about the insurance, he's been a pro for about 15 years so I'm sure he has it covered but I don't want to leave anything to chance, I have too much to lose.
A little side note....he and his wife have also expressed very serious and legitimate interest in buying this place when we're ready to sell, so I want to stay "close" with him.

The only thing that comes to mind is boarding dogs that might be gun shy if you're using starter pistols, etc.

He stands to make a substantial amount of money if the seminar is successful. I'd want to know exactly how many training sessions for free I'd get. 0-10 participants= 5 sessions; 10-20 participants= 10 sessions....

What ifn something were to happen? Does he have liability insurance, too? It should go through his first and anything overflow should then be sent to yours.... all written down this way of course!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
As one who has hosted seminars:

Parking - is there enough, and will having them there interfere with your kennel clients' ability to pick up/drop off dogs?

Will having 20 additional, likely barky, dogs on the property all day be stressful for the kennel dogs?

You'll need to rent porta potties.

Do the grounds allow for space for people to set up their dogs? EZ Ups, crates, chair, etc.

Can you mic your speaker so all can hear him?

Since you're not making any cash-in-hand, how will you handle repairs if something gets damaged by an attendee?

Will he take care of the registration, promotion, etc.? If it's you, that needs to be factored in when considering how many lessons you'll get.

Make large signs and post them all over the gated ares where people are not to be. Same with the kennel.

Definitely ask about whether or not he'll be doing any starter's pistol work.

Make sure you have a liability release signed by all who attend.

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yeAwesome, thanks!!!!

As one who has hosted seminars:

Parking - is there enough, and will having them there interfere with your kennel clients' ability to pick up/drop off dogs?

plenty of parking, I have a 1200 foot long driveway and even if they park along one side of the driveway and leave the pet hotel parking lot clear we'll be fine

Will having 20 additional, likely barky, dogs on the property all day be stressful for the kennel dogs?

It shouldn't. We have 10 acres, the seminar would be at the far end of the property from the pet hotel, behind a grove of evergreen trees.

You'll need to rent porta potties.

heck yes! NO ONE is going in my boarding building, period.

Do the grounds allow for space for people to set up their dogs? EZ Ups, crates, chair, etc.

yes, more space than they will know what to do with!

Can you mic your speaker so all can hear him?

hadn't even thought of this one, he's going to have to bring some sort of sound system! good point!

Since you're not making any cash-in-hand, how will you handle repairs if something gets damaged by an attendee?

another excellent point. There's not much here that could get damaged but it's well worth addressing it with him.

Will he take care of the registration, promotion, etc.? If it's you, that needs to be factored in when considering how many lessons you'll get.

He will take care of all that.

Make large signs and post them all over the gated ares where people are not to be. Same with the kennel.

and locks. BIG locks.

Definitely ask about whether or not he'll be doing any starter's pistol work.

yes, I will have to do this. The boarding building is all masonry, and sound doesn't travel that much from outside (or inside, out). My neighbors shoot a lot, one of my neighbors teaches shooting, and it hasn't been a problem. But I would want to be sure I knew WHEN it was going to happen, if it does, so I can be sure the dogs are all in the building.

Make sure you have a liability release signed by all who attend.
I may need a copy of one, if someone has one....

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
even though you have liability insurance...I would be sure to contact your insurer for a rider for the specific event - its usually pretty cheap.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I went to a beginner's field workshop once. We met in one location for discussion, yard work, etc. Then we drove to different areas of the property to do "real" marks. Would that be done in this case and if so do you want people driving on your property?

I don't know what your person has planned, but our was really fun and we got A LOT accomplished in the three days we were there: Started on force fetch and collar conditioning. Introduced to birds, both dead and alive. Introduced to gunfire. Both land and water marks.

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The part of the property he'd be using you wouldn't have to drive on. Easy to walk it.
I just have to be sure no one sees where my "wild asparagus" patch is ;)

I went to a beginner's field workshop once. We met in one location for discussion, yard work, etc. Then we drove to different areas of the property to do "real" marks. Would that be done in this case and if so do you want people driving on your property?

I don't know what your person has planned, but our was really fun and we got A LOT accomplished in the three days we were there: Started on force fetch and collar conditioning. Introduced to birds, both dead and alive. Introduced to gunfire. Both land and water marks.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Why do you live so far away!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hotel,

If you decide to host the seminar in early May please let me know the dates, as I will either be flying to Chicago or Atlanta to pick up the new pup the first or second weekend of May.

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool! Will do!

Hotel,

If you decide to host the seminar in early May please let me know the dates, as I will either be flying to Chicago or Atlanta to pick up the new pup the first or second weekend of May.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The part of the property he'd be using you wouldn't have to drive on. Easy to walk it.
I just have to be sure no one sees where my "wild asparagus" patch is ;)
That's very important. For our Vancouver seminars participants do very little driving on the property because of how well laid out the TNT property is. It's the same when we work on the island. The hosting clubs all bring in porta-potties, so no use of permanent facilities is needed.

You should have holding blinds, popper guns, and preferrably some live flyers to shoot, along with a good supply of bumpers. A shelter of some kind is immensely helpful; a pavillion, a barn, or some place where people can be out of the weather for chalk talk. That allows easier focus on the discussion, and on note taking. Added to that, I bring a sound system with a wireless mic, so everyone can here me whether I'm facing them or not.

When I'm in the field with a dog & handler, the wireless mic pics up what I say, and what the handler may say to me. That way the gallery gets to hear everything as we progress during a drill or exercise.

EvanG

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Evan, appreciate the help!
I'm just the landowner, the pro is going to have to provide all the equipment. Makes it easy on me! I do have a 2 car garage near that part of the property which they are welcome to use if they would like to, so they can get out of the weather if it's not good.
I will pass the tip about the wireless mic on to the pro, that's great advice!

That's very important. For our Vancouver seminars participants do very little driving on the property because of how well laid out the TNT property is. It's the same when we work on the island. The hosting clubs all bring in porta-potties, so no use of permanent facilities is needed.

You should have holding blinds, popper guns, and preferrably some live flyers to shoot, along with a good supply of bumpers. A shelter of some kind is immensely helpful; a pavillion, a barn, or some place where people can be out of the weather for chalk talk. That allows easier focus on the discussion, and on note taking. Added to that, I bring a sound system with a wireless mic, so everyone can here me whether I'm facing them or not.

When I'm in the field with a dog & handler, the wireless mic pics up what I say, and what the handler may say to me. That way the gallery gets to hear everything as we progress during a drill or exercise.

EvanG

·
Registered
986 Posts
You're welcome. I hope the event is a success. For what it may be worth, I think you'll find most pros will require some things of anyone hosting a quality seminar, including the items mentioned; birds, guns, holding blinds, et al. It's much like hosting a hunt test or field trial. Grounds and equipment are largely the responsibility of the host.

What most pros who do seminars usually provide are handouts, and bring demonstration dogs, personal training equipment, sometimes a white board & markers to diagram drills, maybe orange flags to flag out their chosen drills in preferred locations on the grounds. I bring books & DVDs for those who desire to purchase them at the event. We do book signings each afternoon during Q&A.

I admire you for taking this on. I think you will be glad you did, even though putting on any event of this type is a lot of work.

EvanG

1 - 20 of 35 Posts