Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You folks have always had good ideas so I thought I would ask.

I am ANAL when it comes to grooming my horse. In the winter I must lower my standards as we can not use water. However for some reason this year my horse has discovered his.... pee :doh: Yesterday, and I am NOT exaggerating, his left side was COVERED in dried pee. I can handle mud and poo but pee? And it SMELLS!!!! It is sticky does not brush well, and my horse is VERY particular about having certain areas scrubbed with stiff grooming tools.

So on Friday I am going to heat some water and start out by giving him a hot towel bath. You don't have to get the "too" wet and you are drying as you go. I am doing it before I ride so he will be able to move around and warm up his muscles after. I am wondering if there is something I could put in the water that might help strip through the dirt that doesn't need rinsing? I am thinking that vinegar might work, but he would smell like a salad. Any suggestions?

I can't wait until he is clipped and has his blankets on but I worry what they are going to look like EEEEWWWWW!!!!! :yuck:

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
There are a lot of no rinse /leave on cleaners at the tack shop and online, but I have not tried any of them. Once he is clean a light misting of show sheen will repel the dirt and keep him clean longer.

Mine like to pee on their hay and then lie down in it. Go figure.:uhoh::yuck::(

Mine's a really light gray and I gave up on keeping him clean long ago.:(

That's a lot of surface to cover with a hot towel cleaning! Good luck and have fun with your ride. :)

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Baby wipes, and then Cowboy Magic leave in! In the winter, Charleston gets a soccer ball in his stall to play with, and it keeps him busier.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baby wipes, and then Cowboy Magic leave in! In the winter, Charleston gets a soccer ball in his stall to play with, and it keeps him busier.
Funny you should mention baby wipes, my girlfriend and I were just saying we should try them yesterday. After all they clean up baby bottoms. Of course that does not consist of DRY PEE!!! yuck. Do they work fairly well?

I tried Cowboy Magic green spot remover. I think water (hot towels) work better. I may try show sheen to see if it will stop clinging but this is liquid on drying into sticky goo! My horse is a thin skinned chestnut, but his legs are BLACK!!!!! The CM made no dent in that.

Our trainer does NOT like toys in the horses stalls. Besides my horse is famous for getting cast, having a ball to not lay on might increase that problem. It is a problem too. He should wear an anti cast roller but I hate having something on him all the time like that. He took a lot of flesh off his face the last time. He has been "better" but I always worry.

·
16,000 Posts
I like the baby wipes, but you need a LOT with a horse. Try using self rinse in a spray bottle, and a towel. Self rinse doesn't need to be rinsed, so is an effective alternative in the winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts