Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but thought I would try. Nicki ( 65 lb female, 1yr 4 months), has been having horrible gas lately. SHe eats Fromm (sweet potato/duck or pork/applesauce) and has been for several months with no real issue. SHe eats minimal people food. The past week or so, the gas is awful, but only seems to be late at night 8 pm or later, nothing else unusal, poop okay, appetitie okay, energy level ok, coat ok, etc. ANy ideas????????? she goes for her yearly vet visit in 2 weeks, so I will def. bring up, but thought some of you may have some prev. experience or ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honey has been having awful gas too, and we recently found out that she has been munching on mushrooms (not poisonous). Maybe she's been eating something funky?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
are you sure she is not expressing her anal glands?
Does it have a very foul fishy smell?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, not fishy, just god awful smelly, how would I know if she is expressing her anal glands? and is that something that should be done by vet / groomer on a reg. basis?

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
You have to take her to the vet and have them express the glands.
I once tried it myself and almost fainted.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Most dogs will express their glands themselves when they defecate.
Sometimes they get impacted and the dog needs help. Often you will see them butt-scooting on the rug to get relief. IMHO dont express them unless you have to..as it can lead to a dependency on needing manual help. Sometimes adding fiber or more volume will help...

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
You can try adding some probiotics--discuss this with your vet at your upcoming visit.

Is it a clear the room after she eats type of odor (indicating something in her diet) or a constant type of odor? Is she trying to lick her rear end? If so, she may have an anal sac issue. You can express them yourself, but have your vet show you how. If done incorrectly it can damage them, causing more problems. That was one thing I didn't care to do myself because it's messy and quite unpleasant to smell it. Anal sac fluid smells fishy, but yet there is something else to it--perhaps it is more accurate to describe it as more like dead rotting fish after a day or so.

Any chance she is getting something like yogurt, cheese or other dairy product with lactose? Bread--perhaps bread left out for the birds? It may be she lacks enzymes for something in the human food. That can cause major gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts