Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently lost my heart Golden, Mazlon, and am in the process of starting to think about getting a new puppy. Unfortunately, I am currently unemployed and while I am hoping that this period of being between jobs will not last very long, I also realize that this is the perfect time to devote to a new puppy.

This also means that I cannot afford the high prices that breeders charge for puppies. While I hope to be gainfully employed in the very near future, I cannot spend exhorbadent amounts of money with no income. So I have turned to rescues in the hopes of finding a purebred Golden puppy. Today I was successful. One adorable little boy showed up in a rescue who is an AKC 10 week old pup. I quickly started perusing the information on the site and started to get really excited ... that is until I saw the adoption fee. This rescue wants $1150 for the adoption fee.

:::sigh::: back to the drawing board.

·
Serawyn
253 Posts
First, I am very, very sorry to hear about your job situation. I hope you will find something in the near future !

Second, I can't say I understand what it feels like to *almost* get your golden rescue, but then to discover the adoption fees are too high. I've never heard of that, but boy do I feel for you! That really is a high price for a rescue group.

I am a first time GR owner, but I can completely understand the desire to get one. Now that I know what it is like, I can empathize as to how lonely it is without one in your home. I am so very sorry for your loss of Mazlon, but maybe now isn't financially a good time to add another golden to your life? When things are more settled and you've found a job, maybe the golden rescue will have a cute little puppy waiting for you. This isn't the only opportunity. *hugs*

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm sorry. I'm in a long-term low-income situation and had similar issues when I was looking for a golden puppy. It took several months of very intense searching and haggling.

The best advice I can give you is to start looking outside of rescues and outside of what some on the forum would consider reputable breeders. I e-mailed every "reputable" breeder I could find and none of them would budge on price. Check newspapers and online classfieds instead and see if you can find someone who had a surprise litter or who casually breeds pets who's not really in it as a business and will offer you a golden at a better price. And if you find one that's close to your price but a little higher than you can afford, you can always call up and offer them less and then if they say no, tell them they are welcome to call back and check with you if they can't sell all their puppies and you haven't found one yet.

The other option would be to consider broadening your search and being open to similar breeds like Labradors and a wider range of ages. Obviously, the larger pool of breeds and ages you're willing to consider, the more likely you are to find one that is at a price you can afford. I can understand if you aren't willing to do that, though. I knew I was choosing my dog for the next decade or so and didn't want to settle for a different breed or age, though I came very close to giving up on a golden puppy right before I found mine- it was a very discouraging search.

I know how tough it can be to be in a low income (or no income) situation. A lot of doors get closed to you. And when you want to find a canine friend for companionship at a time like that, even that comes with a fee you can't afford, or struggle to afford. Hopefully something will come through for you.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Mazlon! But, just have to ask, are you really in the position to bring another Golden into your life right now? You don't have a job. Don't forget about the long term.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
MD Area Rescues

I noticed your location. My family has worked with two GR rescue groups in the Maryland area, GRREAT (Golden Retriever Rescue, Education and Training) and GoldHeart. In our case, we've adopted adult dogs before we purchased a puppy last fall. (Since we can't fence most of our yard due to community restrictions we weren't seen as a desirable candidate for a rescued puppy.) Anyway, both of these groups set their adoption fees based on the age of the dog. The costs didn't use to be as high as the one you mentioned. (Although maybe this has changed...) Our experience with both groups was excellent -- really caring about the best welfare of the GRs they were placing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Thanks all ... I am keeping an eye on GRREAT and GoldHeart. I am really torn by all of this because I know that monitarily this is the worst time possible to get a puppy. OTH, this is the best time because of the involuntary time I have on my hands. Of course, with my luck, as soon as I get a puppy, I'll get a job. <G> Hmmmmm .....

In any case, for those that are worrying about whether I would have to give the pup up for financial reasons. That won't happen. Ever. My animals are my children. If you chose to have children, you don't give them up. Same for pets (although I have to admit not having a bond with my fish). When I was 5 and we were leaving the Soviet Union for the States, apparently there had been some talk about leaving our dog behind. I was being tucked into bed by my dad and had the following conversation:

Me: Daddy ... is Natasha a member of our family?
Dad: Of course, she's our puppy dog.
Me: Daddy ... are you going to leave me behind too?

The dogs went with us ... all over the world. :) My father even made post choices depending on whether the country had quarantine laws or not.

As for the rescue group charging so much ... I'm sure they were just looking to try and use the pup as a "fundraiser"

So I will keep looking for the perfect pup to join my family.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Of course the sale of the pup is to raise funds...
Those funds are needed to pay for expensive medical care that previous owners or BYB breeders/High Volume Breeders couldnt afford or wouldn't provide.....heartworm treatments, replacing joints, spaying neutering...Then of course the expenses of food, heat/air conditioning of kennel space, cleaning supplies...etc etc...it all costs money and it has to come from somewhere...

As for the rescue group charging so much ... I'm sure they were just looking to try and use the pup as a "fundraiser"...

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,692 Posts
That amount sounds really high for a Rescue Group, was it one of the GR Rescues? Some of the GR Rescues have a $600 Adoption fee for purebred golden pups, less for golden mixes. I've never seen one as high as you mentioned.

Here is a link for the GR Club of America National Rescue Committee-click on your state to locate a GR Rescue in your area. Contact info and website links are provided.

National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America

1 - 8 of 8 Posts