Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bully sticks don't last as long anymore :(

I heard raw marrow bones can be messy. Also several vets have told me with raw bones they had to deal with 1) chipped teeth and 2) small undigested pieces of the bone chips in the tummy

I heard about hooves - any recommendations? Safe and digestible?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
We had a case where a lab chewed off the pointy toe of a cow hoof, it got lodged in his intestine and perforated it.... ultimately, he died from peritonitis...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I do give hooves to my dogs all the time but they are stuff with something (from Pet Express). Once the stuff is gone and the hoof has a good chew I take them away. I've never had them chew down to the pointy part. I think there is a risk in anything you give them as dogs will be dogs....

I also get the raw beef marrow bones and freeze them. They LOVE them and usually cannot get all the marrow out. I just get them from the butcher.

I stay away from rawhide...

·
Registered
100 Posts
We also buy the raw marrow bones and freeze them. I used to buy the Natural Instinct frozen marrow bones until I found that I could buy them from the grocery store much cheaper. She LOVES them and they keep her busy a long time.

·
I love my golden kids!
257 Posts
Trachea is very greasy and messy. The bully sticks only last about 15-20 minutes with my 16 month golden. I actually order steamed knuckle bones from a company called Nature's Farmacy. Those things occupy my goldens for hours--but you can't let them have the bones too long, or you might get slightly soft poop. I usually let them have the bones for about 30-45 minutes. It really gives their jaws a workout and is great for the gums. You just toss them out once they've hollowed them out. I usually by 5 large ones at a time, and they will last approx 3 months. Here's a link to the site:

Nature's Farmacy - Store - Product Details

It looks like they're temporarily unavailable, but I'd call and ask when they will have them again. And, don't buy the nasty "flavored" versions they have at the pet stores. Those are nasty and messy.

You may also want to try a large size antler...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts